The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Thoughts on the New YouTube Copyright System

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh YouTube, can't we go back to the days before Google took over?  At least back then you weren't infecting everyone with such claims.

So yeah, I posted the first of the LBT Reviews onto YouTube and got a taste of their new Copyright Claim system.  Now, I will admit that I like the Dispute Claim layout better and I hope the new system helps with the Copyfraud problem that's been going on. (ie UMG's Bogus Claims.)

Anyways, I was able to Dispute the claim on the Review video, so it is there for your enjoyment.  However, until the process is finished or the Dispute expires, (which will be one month, sadly.) I can't post anything past 15 minutes and, unfortunately, the next review to post is over 15 minutes.  So, I can't post anything on YouTube for a while.  I at least have my Sevenload account, so I hope you all enjoy that one.  I was looking to using it as a backup anyways.

I have never even liked YouTube's Copyright System to begin with.  It's because it automatically blocks ANY video that contains unauthorized footage, even those that are perfectly legal by means of Fair Use.  Also, recently, it has been made known that companies can use it to block whatever the heck they want.  It's no wonder people use other video platforms when it comes to doing these things.  YouTube is useless for it.

The more I look at it, the more I don't want to use YouTube, but I have to deal with the fact that everyone is using it, thus meaning I have to use it if I want to watch the things I enjoy.  Until those that I enjoy learn that lesson, I'm stuck at a Catch 22 of sorts.

So yeah, I like the layout more and it was made somewhat easier, but I still don't like it.  In all seriousness, I feel YouTube is better off without it.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Why not do it parts like everyone else does? That way you're safe from these new claims.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie85,Apr 14 2012 on  02:04 AM
Why not do it parts like everyone else does? That way you're safe from these new claims.
Because I made a promise for them to be full-length and I'm going to keep that promise. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't think it automatically blocks anything unauthorized. I never experienced that. Okay once, but that was a couple years ago, before I got a new computer. So at least 2009 or 2008 this occurred.

Now I have gotten claims almost right away, but they weren't to block the video. The video is often still available. Claims to block don't come until later. If the video is blocked, it does count against your account, but fortunately, removing or changing the audio (if the audio is what was claimed) will remove those marks against the account, although I still don't think you can remove copyright strikes against the account.

I wouldn't be too concerned if the claims don't remove the video or create a mark/strike on the account. So long as, when you read the copyright info on a claimed video, they say it won't affect your account and it hasn't been blocked, and is still available, you're fine. The copyright claim system in this manner is done simply to put ads on the video to create revenue for the copyright holders, or to place a download link to the song that is used.

Edit: Just checked my account and it says it's now enabled for videos longer than 15 minutes. Check your account, Pokeplayer, and see if you get that same message. It should be in blue and should be seen when you click to upload a video.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ever thought of trying to post these else where Like Veoh or any other place that allows full length videos?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To DH: Nope!  Still only allowed to do 15 minutes or less for the time being, despite the fact I currently don't have anything to "effect" my status.  Also, I've been MUCH more careful with this account.  So my only guess is that the dispute needs to be cleared up before I can go past 15 minutes again.

Ever thought of trying to post these else where Like Veoh or any other place that allows full length videos?

Way ahead of ya!  Currently posting them on my Sevenload Account.  They shall be there only until I can get them up on YouTube.