The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mine FanArt

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey, Y'all, wow I've been so inactive here as of late, rest assured, I am alive and kicking... very weakly and without much effort, but kicking nonetheless^^

Thought I'd give you all a taste of my average art talents, if you're interested. Show of hands? XD lol

Soooo, Pterano in action! TKD is da choice form of Martial arts for flyers ;)
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
And this be Hadley, my OC, you can read more about him here:
http://gangoffive.net/index.php?showtopic=11247

Enjoy^^
J. R. R. Tolkein

EggStealerGirl

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://rosethethief.deviantart.com/
Very awesome artwork! ^^

Can't wait to see more! :DD

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: jansenov,Aug 23 2012 on  05:58 PM
Hadley is gorgeous!
Hehe thanks^^ yeah, he's rather prideful of his appearance. Glad you like :DD
Thanks, EggStealerGirl!
J. R. R. Tolkein

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

I really really like how this came out^^ I also really like the character of Artie, she seems so sweet and kind :DD

Enjoy!
J. R. R. Tolkein

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nice! :D Do you have any interest of submitting your work into the LBT fanclub on Deviantart? :)

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ooh, very unique coloring style!  What do you use to ink and paint with?
I guess I should also ask if you want constructive criticism on any of your art, because I won't if you don't want me to.  :^.^:

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@Mumbling - thanks. I did try submitting there, after squeeing in joy that there was an LBT fandom on dA^^ but for some reason, it wouldn't accept it. i dunno what i did wrong :shrug:

@FreckledOne - I use GIMP for the painting and coloring :)
regarding the criticism, I know these aren't top-notch works, I have a rather cartoony style, just so you know. These aren't really meant to be 'serious' lol just for fun :) but if you want to, sure.

Also, I doodled another Pterano ;)

Pterano on a Moonlit night. this piece is called Reflecting. I know it's not perfect, the angle and the perspective still makes me cringe :p but I thought it was presentable, soooo here y'are :DD
J. R. R. Tolkein

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
These are amazing. I feel terrible not looking at them before. Please upload more! :DD

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Blarg…I wanted to review this thread weeks ago, but I kept putting it off because of other things I had to do. :oops Like Mr. Wonk said, I feel bad about it, because this is some truly incredible art.

I adore the perspective in your pictures, especially Pterano in the first image. His pose is awesome! :lol I also think it's interesting that you chose to draw most of these pictures without outlines. It's a style I don't see very often in LBT fanart, but you do it really well! I'm amazed at how three-dimensional they look.

The first picture of Pterano is perhaps my favorite so far. His expression is terrific, and I can't get over how good the shading looks, especially on his wings. You did a great job with his hands, too; those are very hard to draw, and they look very natural here. And while his left heel (Pterano's left, not the viewer's) looks rather pointy, the feet and legs are also very well done. :yes

The one thing that bothers me about this picture is the points on the trailing edge of Pterano's wings. You can't really be blamed for them, since he has those in some shots in LBT VII, but just like the four-fingered hands the animators sometimes give Pterano and Petrie and other flyers when they should have three fingers, I tend to think of them as off-model features that shouldn't be there. Real pterosaurs did not have those points on their wings, and flyers in LBT normally don't either. That said, his wings are otherwise outstanding.

On to the second picture, showing Hadley: I love the pose you drew this character in. I find it really hard to draw dinosaurs from this angle, and I admire how well you managed it. The depth you managed to achieve through the tone and shading on Hadley's chest, legs, and tail is astounding. You chose some interesting colors for him as well (He kinda looks like he's wearing wristbands, :p but I don't really see it as a flaw). Truthfully, from a scientific standpoint Hadley's feathers aren't very accurate, but they're a neat addition nonetheless. He's so shaggy-looking! :lol I'd love to see more pictures of this character.

Just out of curiosity, how'd you come up with the name "different claw" for Hadley's species? And would you like me to add it to the "Non-Canon Dinosaurs" names list in the LBT Glossary?

Artie…Isn't she one of Jrd89's characters? (I don't follow his RP, but I seem to remember him asking if anyone would draw a character named "Artie" for him.) Even though I don't know what the character is supposed to look like, your depiction of her looks fantastic. I like the color scheme, and how you made the neck ruff look so fuzzy. :smile And for some reason I find the solid blue eyes to look absolutely gorgeous, even though I don't think there's ever been a Pteranodon character in LBT with eyes like that. Her expression has so much personality, and the eyes are a big part of that. (I always have trouble drawing eyes that are any more complex than black dots inside white spheres, so when I look at work by an artist who does eyes really well, I find myself drawn to them.) I find it a little odd that she has such a masculine-looking crest for her species, but perhaps that's what the character description you were working with entailed? In any case, she still looks great.

Finally, the fourth and most recent picture: Even though you say you don't like it, I think it's another amazing perspective drawing. (Maybe that tells you that I just have low standards because I have zero talent for perspective drawing, but I stand by that opinion. :p) At first I thought that the rock formations surrounding Pterano and making up the horizon were clouds, :oops but I still like how you drew them. They lend the picture a sort of whimsical quality. The moon and the lighting it provides add beautifully to this effect.

Even though most of Pterano's body is rather simple, I really like how you drew his head, especially his crest with its narrow, blade-like bottom edge. His beak, eyebrows, and the back of his head are also wonderfully shaded.

That's all the comments I have for now. I hope my constructive criticism was useful in some way, and not simply annoying. :unsure:

By the way, StrutEggStealer, do you know about the GOF Member Awards that are going on right now? Your name has been coming up a lot in the Fanart Award category, but you're only eligible for the award if you participate in the voting. Just thought you might like to know.

Regardless of whether you care about the awards or not, your artwork is spectacular, and I really hope you keep making it. :)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Pangaea: Yes, Artie is VERY sweet and kind. Yes, I posted a "Wanna Draw Artie?" thread last month, and struteggstealer wanted to draw her. She drew Artie SO WONDERFULLY too, and made her eyes so pretty. ^_^

Yep, that's right, Pangaea, Artie is a character from my RP "Flyers Of the Mysterious Beyond"

As for who came up with the idea of Artie... I give that credit to Trulyfantasticme.

She is a very beautiful pteranodon with quite the personality. Thanks, Pangaea, I appreciate your comment on struteggstealer's Artie drawing.  She is a very pretty, beautiful pteranodon.  :D

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
StrutEggStealer and like others on The Gang of Five Fan art corner have inspired me to try out myself. Don't think I be as good know. :lol

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The one thing that bothers me about this picture is the points on the trailing edge of Pterano's wings.

Lol yeah, I know. As I said, I don't really think of these as scientifically accurate. I got the notion from Batty Koda from Ferngully, one of my fave cartoons charries of the 90's :) He's often shown to have points on his wings while they are folded or his arms are bent. I just find it kinda fun to put in that level of exaggeration^^

Just out of curiosity, how'd you come up with the name "different claw" for Hadley's species? And would you like me to add it to the "Non-Canon Dinosaurs" names list in the LBT Glossary?

Stenonychosaurus means: Narrow-Clawed Foot, and since Troodontids resemble raptors, but are not in fact dormaeosaurids, I came uo with Different Claw because I thought it would lend a sort of 'outcast' air to the character. Being 'different' and all :)
sorry, big words and I'm a huge nerd, sooo :DD
As for adding it to the list, sure :)

Finally, the fourth and most recent picture: Even though you say you don't like it, I think it's another amazing perspective drawing. (Maybe that tells you that I just have low standards because I have zero talent for perspective drawing, but I stand by that opinion. :p) At first I thought that the rock formations surrounding Pterano and making up the horizon were clouds, :oops but I still like how you drew them. They lend the picture a sort of whimsical quality. The moon and the lighting it provides add beautifully to this effect.

Thanks, As for drawing them without the outline, I thought it gave them more of a real feel. Otherwise, I thought they were being constrained within LINES and who wants that? ;) lol
The rocks gave me grief, and I'm still not to happy about how his blasted head came out, but, i look at it and go, "Meh I guess it's okay" :lol

By the way, StrutEggStealer, do you know about the GOF Member Awards that are going on right now? Your name has been coming up a lot in the Fanart Award category, but you're only eligible for the award if you participate in the voting. Just thought you might like to know.

That sounds really neat. Where can I find that voting thread? That might be fun :DD

Thanks, Pangaea, for your reviews. I really appreciate your taking them time to look at my work. I also appreciate what you said. I get so nervous showing other my artwork because I have, in my opinion, a cartoony style. For me, drawing/painting is just a kind of outlet that I can got all out on^^ I respect what you said that some of these weren't totally accurate, but that may not have been what I was aiming for, I was just working on various posing, shading (:anger... drrrrgh curse shading XD) etc.
I hope to post some more stuff on here. I didn't think I'd get this many comments and reviews^^ so I will definitely post more when i can :)
TYSM again :DD
J. R. R. Tolkein

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Sep 22 2012 on  09:29 AM
Stenonychosaurus means: Narrow-Clawed Foot, and since Troodontids resemble raptors, but are not in fact dormaeosaurids, I came uo with Different Claw because I thought it would lend a sort of 'outcast' air to the character. Being 'different' and all :)
sorry, big words and I'm a huge nerd, sooo :DD
You're talking to a guy whose name is a prehistoric supercontinent and is obsessed with talking about dinosaurs and natural history. It's no problem. :p

As for drawing them without the outline, I thought it gave them more of a real feel. Otherwise, I thought they were being constrained within LINES and who wants that? ;) lol
I'm virtually incapable of drawing without outlines because I'm so terrible at forming an image of what I'm trying to draw in my head and then translating it onto paper. So I really admire your ability to make such fantastic pictures without them.

That sounds really neat. Where can I find that voting thread? That might be fun :DD
The GOF awards section is titled "Saurus Rock: Member Hall of Fame", and is a sub-forum of The Fridge. I love the award votingópersonally, I like to think of it as a forum-wide member appreciation threadóbut it can be tricky; this is my third year of voting and I still kept going back to check the guidelines to be sure I was doing everything right. Seeing as you're a first-time voter, here are some extra pointers on the different award-related threads:
  • GOF Awards 2012 Rules, Voter List, Award Drafts: Contains the rules of this year's voting, a list of all the members eligible to be nominated for an award, and the descriptions for each award category. Be sure to read this before you vote. (You might want to keep this thread open in another tab or window while you're typing up your votes; it's good to be able to check to be sure that you're following the guidelines correctly and that all of your nominations are eligible.)

• Award voting 2012: This is the thread for the actual voting. Feel free to look at other members' votes to get an idea of how it's done, but don't vote for someone just because other members have voted for them; vote for whoever you feel deserves an award, based on what you've seen (And don't nominate me for the Helpful Member Award just because I helped you find the voting thread :p). Remember that you need to vote in at least six out of the eight categories in order to be eligible for an award yourself (and if you skip two votes out of the initial seven award categories, you must participate in the Appreciated Member award voting, which takes place later). You also need to state whether or not you will be skipping a category.

• GOF Awards 2012 - Voting Status: This thread contains another list of this year's eligible voters, this one color-coded to show which members have already voted. It allows you to check whether you have yet voted in enough categories to be eligible for an award.

• GOF Awards 2012 - Voting Tally: Here you can see which members have received how many votes in which categories. From a voter's standpoint, this thread is mainly here as a convenient means of satisfying your curiosity about the current voting statistics (as opposed to reading through the entire voting thread and tallying the results yourself). It is not necessary to follow this thread as part of the voting process.

NOTE: As of this moment, the above two threads have not been updated in a couple of days. Your voting status and nominations may not be "recorded" immediately after you vote.
I hope that helps, and good luck voting. :)

Thanks, Pangaea, for your reviews. I really appreciate your taking them time to look at my work. I also appreciate what you said. I get so nervous showing other my artwork because I have, in my opinion, a cartoony style.
You're welcome. And there's nothing wrong with that. I have a cartoony art style, and so does FlipperBoidSkua (a good friend of mine whose artwork I know you have seen). A lot can be done with a cartoony style; personally I think you can create characters with much more entertaining poses and expressions than with a more realistic style. Besides, pretty much everyone on this forum who does artwork of LBT characters is going to have a cartoony style. :p

For me, drawing/painting is just a kind of outlet that I can got all out on^^ I respect what you said that some of these weren't totally accurate, but that may not have been what I was aiming for, I was just working on various posing, shading (:anger... drrrrgh curse shading XD) etc.
Yeah, sorry about the critique; :oops it's just what I do. I'm a nitpicker by nature, with a compulsion to make myself useful. The intent of my feedback style is basically to point out details that the artist could potentially improve the next time he or she draws something where attention to said detail is relevant. You're a very talented artist, and even if you weren't going for perfection with these pictures, I figured it wouldn't hurt to offer some suggestions on how you could make your artwork even better, just in case they would be useful. If you'd rather I not do that, though, I can leave that part of my review out the next time I leave feedback on your work.

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, please don't think I don't appreciate your feedback, because I do. I always find it interesting to read what the viewers think (unless the review is insulting :p lol)
And i'm glad you're nitpicky :DD you presented some interesting ideas and questions in your review of my work and I'm glad you did :)
J. R. R. Tolkein

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Aw, you're welcome. Can't wait to see more of your art. :smile

By the way, just in case you were still interested in participating in the GOF Awards, today is the last day for you to vote. Not that you're expected or obliged to vote by any means; I just thought you might want to know.

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thanks,I actually just finished voting^^ so good timing, lol
J. R. R. Tolkein

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You need to vote in two more categories to receive an award, or you can vote in just one more category, but then you must vote in the Appreciated Member Awrd category.

Hurry up.  ;)

StrutEggStealer

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
which category would that be?
J. R. R. Tolkein