The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tick Tock Goes The Laptop

Nahla · 7 · 1390

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ok so all of a sudden my laptop has been making a tick tock sound like a clock.Could it be my harddrive or a fan? It just came out of the blue,I turned it on just fine and was in the middle of a video and suddenly tick tock.

I closed the laptop,sound stopped. Opened it again..more tick tock so it coming from the laptop for sure.

It driving me insane,it very faint but it's there. It not like a click click but a tick tock,I can try and record the sound..,,if that possible.

Oh and my laptop is an Acer,about 5 months old.

It not coming from any programs as I have my sound 100% muted and still tick tock.

Oh it it helps my powersuply is at 38% at this time not plugged in.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Does the ticking happing continuously? Or does it only happen once in a while?

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It just started having about a hour ago,first time I ever had this happen. I have had laptops die before but never had they made this sound. There will be about a 10 second pause between each 'tick tock'. I guess you could also say it sounds like water dripping.'

I tried to record it but it way to faint and you can not hear it (Or I can only hear the one actually coming from the laptop...).

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I once had the same problem, but that was with the charger... And since you said it's not plugged in, it can't be that.

I think something is hitting the fan. When did you last clean it?

Did you google your laptop's model in combination with the ticking sound? Maybe some others had the same problem.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I turned my laptop over,I did have quite  a bit of dust in there,it has pretty much stopped now,but theres still a bit more dust I can't seem to get to,I'm sure if I get rid of that last little bit  it'll stop completely. I had my neighbour take a look,my hard drive is fine. Not sure how the heck I'm gonna get the bits at the bottom out though.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It all good now,no damage has seemed to be done,It was just dust and crumbs clogging up the fans.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good to hear! :) Best way to clean out your fan is with compressed air (a can you can buy in most larger supermarkets)