The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ali

NewOrder · 136 · 23065

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
Forgive the word vomit ahead, but since I’m working on a fic that revolves around Ali, I have many thoughts about her that came up while writing her and surprisingly only a little has anything to do with romance.

As others have noted, Ali is a bit of a mischief maker, with biting Littlefoot's tail, making faces, and tagging him it out of nowhere. It seems she has a taste for these games of mischief and it's pretty cute.

She can also be pretty brave. From being willing to accompany Littlefoot on the journey to cure Grandpa Longneck, to having to go back to the Great Valley on her own to get help for Littlefoot, and saving Cera by riding a giant crocodile, she has done some pretty bold things.

What is also interesting is what she doesn't say. When Littlefoot expresses disappointment his friends went home after he played with Ali, she vaguely says "I guess" while looking away. When Ali accepts she'll accompany Littlefoot on the Night Flower mission, she dissuades him from bringing the others along, saying they would slow them down. Ali doesn't want to have his friends around but she’s too polite to outright say it, so she speaks vaguely and attempts to distract Littlefoot to get off the subject. It seems she has been taught to hold her tongue when she has something nice to say. Though it doesn’t stick with her through all her interactions, it kicks into effect when Littlefoot’s friends come up.

I agree implicit prejudice might be the source of Ali’s nervousness but there’s another cause that’s overlooked. Her herd is migratory and comes from the Land of Mists. There are a lot of dangers in both arenas, so she probably had it drilled into her to not approach different kinds. They might be sneaky predators or potentially hostile or manipulative herds, so she can only interact with other longnecks. At least their ways are more familiar to the Old One’s herds, though I wouldn’t be surprised if she was told to have some caution for stranger longnecks as well.

So when Ali ran into Cera and the others, she probably knows logically Cera and the others wouldn’t really hurt her but those lessons of caution made her automatically freeze up in fear. She couldn’t really shake it off until Littlefoot got trapped in the cave. When presented with the choice of either letting Littlefoot die on the other side or getting help from Cera and the others, she got some perspective on what is really important in the situation and pushed her fears aside to retrieve their help. How she interacts with them thereafter indicates she was trying to make up for her behavior and when Cera accepts her friendship, she must have felt really happy.

As can be seen when Ali wonders if there’s anything she and her mother could do about Grandpa Longneck’s ailment, she does sincerely want to help Littlefoot. Even when she hesitated Littlefoot’s request, it seemed to be more about attempting to get over the caution her herd drilled into her. She tries to help him with what she knows, but it’s interesting how Ali doesn’t reveal the true extent of her knowledge until the expedition comes across a snag. I don’t believe it’s out of malice. She probably thought she remembered enough they could wing it and discover other helpful details along the way. She doesn’t want to curse their luck by admitting aloud her knowledge gaps.

In concern with Ali’s depiction in the TV series, the other posters do make some good points. She only did know the gang for three or four day while she probably was in Rhett’s presence for months at least. As for why Ali believed his lies…I kind of think she went through what Doctor Who’s Donna went through after her initial one-off appearance. Though it was only for a couple days, Ali went through an intense adventure with some fellow youths that changed her views of the world and she was happy with. The intense bonds shared through such an experience is probably something she discovered she loved and treasured deeply.

And then the day after she leaves the valley…she’s back in the same routine. The herd must travel from point A to point B, she shouldn’t wander far, be cautious of strangers, etc. She tries to make friends with what fellow youths might be there but she has a hard time connecting with them while remaining true to herself. At some point, she probably became lonely and began making compromises so she can make some friends. So when Rhett came around with his tall tales and an interest in making friends, Ali might have willed herself to think that her adventures with Littlefoot’s gang prove that other youths battling enemies isn’t that farfetched.

It’s clear from scenes in the episode Ali isn’t always comfortable with how he takes charge, but probably reasoned to make due with what friends you can get. Hopefully after the episode, when all the facts become clear, she’ll relearn to be bold and that there are some things she shouldn’t compromise about herself. She and Rhett might still be friends, but maybe she'll be the one leading the games and adventures they get up to. That’s what I hope for, anyway.

I’m aware Ali was likely intended to be a love interest for Littlefoot. Nevertheless, I found Ali and Cera’s interactions the most interesting, to the point to I kind of ship those two instead. I’m not much of a shipper, but when I am, I’m usually biased toward the queer side of things ;)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is a very good post there, Dave. I think you're wearing your name rightfully, haha :lol

What kind of fanfiction are you working on if you dont mind me asking? I'm also working on a Fanfiction that has Ali as one of the main characters and it also made me greatly rethink about her character. I also let her have quite a few mischievous moments by the way :lol

I'm sometimes struggling to take the tv-series Ali serious. She's a whole new character in that episode, it's hard to explain all these changes in her character logically. Your interpretation seems legit though, I do agree that Ali seems to be friends with Rhett because it's the only friend that she could have who is always with her in the herd (it doesn't seem like there are any other children in the Old One's herd) - therefore submitting to Rhett in order to have a friend and not be lonely at the cost of hearing his crap every now and then (sorry, his stories are crappy though that's probably just in-character for him :p) and playing the games that he likes.
Inactive, probably forever.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I thought she was a alright character in her one and only movie she was in. She made have been a racist in a way towards the of the gang but she turned it around in the end. So I didn't dispise her that much.

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
@Ducky123

It’s a story where Ali saves Rhett from a threat and gets her courage back in the process. Basically trying to make some lemonade out of the lemons that many consider her TV reappearance and it was challenging but fun to write. It was basically two dares to myself - “write a story about Ali that doesn’t involve romance” and “make her a main character.” The latter helps to make you see how developed a character is and, if they aren’t, try to develop them into lead material. I think Ali already has plenty going for her but I did have to do some extrapolation. It won’t be posted for a few months. Got to post something else first.

I sometimes enjoy the challenge of gelling two inconsistent characterizations together. It can develop the character and make them interesting. I’m glad that my rambling might have helped you with your stories. It’s why I do them, to help myself get a clear grasp of a character I’m going to write.

@ADRFan185

I thought she was just alright too until I decided to make a story around her. Then I studied her onscreen behavior and wrote her, and it was much more fun than I thought it would be. So she’s climbed up a bit in the characters I like.

Your mention of her prejudice did bring up the interesting scenario of how she might react to fellow herd members expressing prejudice towards other dinosaurs. I can see her struggling to call that out. Some might be receptive to her criticisms but others might just rebuff her.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah true but like I said at the end she realized her wrong doing and she now accepts everyone witch is good. And her song was actually pretty good to be honest. Yeah I like to try to give her the benefit of the doubt. But her story about not meeting different kinds of dinosaurs made me think she could've taken the high road and not been that way towards LittleFoot and the gang.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It’s a story where Ali saves Rhett from a threat and gets her courage back in the process. Basically trying to make some lemonade out of the lemons that many consider her TV reappearance and it was challenging but fun to write. It was basically two dares to myself - “write a story about Ali that doesn’t involve romance” and “make her a main character.” The latter helps to make you see how developed a character is and, if they aren’t, try to develop them into lead material. I think Ali already has plenty going for her but I did have to do some extrapolation. It won’t be posted for a few months. Got to post something else first.

I sometimes enjoy the challenge of gelling two inconsistent characterizations together. It can develop the character and make them interesting. I’m glad that my rambling might have helped you with your stories. It’s why I do them, to help myself get a clear grasp of a character I’m going to write.
Interesting, sounds like a story I'll find interesting to read :D You sound like you know very well what you're doing when you work on stories. I have yet to read the stuff that you posted so far on here though  :angel
Inactive, probably forever.

LBT90321

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ali to me may grow into an adult longneck and look like littlefoot's mother in face

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Maybe one day we'll see Ali again in another movie since she had good personality

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: LBT90321,Jan 17 2017 on  02:15 AM
Ali to me may grow into an adult longneck and look like littlefoot's mother in face
Seeing how she and Littlefoot look very much alike (at least in LBT4 they do)... It's a possibility, yeah.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Seeing how fans made a lot of shippings with those two also

LBT90321

• Spike
    • View Profile
Im not sure but I believe before lbt 4 was made the producers had ideas about a female littlefoot
So Ali is littlefoot as a girl. She was drawn with pinker brown colors, blue or gray eyes, and eyelashes(seen clearly)
And because both of them are longnecks they will be giants when they become adults.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: ADFan185,Jan 17 2017 on  02:59 AM
Seeing how fans made a lot of shippings with those two also
I don't see what this has to do with Ali looking like Littlefoot's... Wait. He likes Ali because she reminds him of his mom? That's kind of sad, but also unfortunately makes a lot of sense. :(

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
I do see Ali and Littlefoot's relationship as cute, though I am indifferent to the idea of shipping them. It is likely she was meant to be some sort of love interest, given how she's essentially a female version of Littlefoot.
So while I don't ship them, I am open to the possibility that they could become a couple as they grow up, or remain just friends. I'm also open to the idea that they could simply remain single. Also, it was a bummer that Ali did not appear in the 10th film, since the film was about a longneck migration, so it's a wonder as to why she didn't appear.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
random note:

I NEVER considered Ali as Littlefoot's cousin, and I was huge surprised when I read it here.
It's quite ridiculous, because it is obviously when Grandpa said Ali's herd are their cousins, he obviously could not mean THE WHOLE herd!!! Just few members, I guess...

Was it confirmed somewhere that Ali's family is Longneck family's cousins?

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As far as I recall, this whole thing was left extremely vague in the film. It seems like Littlefoot's Grandparents know the Old One somehow but otherwise it seems like Ali's herd is just some random Farwalker group. If the two families/herds knew each other better, they could and should have shown it in the film and in the case this is their first meeting, it's a small wonder the Grandparents know about their kinship at all.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Ali has certainly become a cult favorite character. I found her song "It Takes All Sorts" both catchy and fitting for this day and age. I personally think she is one of better guest characters (a close second Etta in LBT XIV). I don't consider Chomper a guest character but a regular thanks to the Series and Journey of the Brave.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah I did like her anti racism Song also since it's her way of being more tolerant twowards the other species of dinosaurs she's encountered. It has a nice melody to it also. She only was in one movie should have been in more but I liked her a lot.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Jun 23 2017 on  04:20 AM
Yeah I did like her anti racism Song also since it's her way of being more tolerant twowards the other species of dinosaurs she's encountered. It has a nice melody to it also. She only was in one movie should have been in more but I liked her a lot.
She needs to be in the next sequel. Since Chomper and Ruby have been featured in LBT XIV, it would be nice to see Ali in LB XV (if one is made).

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

LBT90321

• Spike
    • View Profile
It would be nice to see Ali in a movie again

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes yes she does if the new movie ever happens atleast she was in one movie tho I guess that's good enough but hopefully she'll appear in the next one.