The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Nvidia's AI image generator

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So here's a pretty interesting piece of technology:
http://nvidia-research-mingyuliu.com/gaugan

Description from NVIDIA:
GauGAN, named after post-Impressionist painter Paul Gauguin, creates photorealistic images from segmentation maps, which are labeled sketches that depict the layout of a scene.

Artists can use paintbrush and paint bucket tools to design their own landscapes with labels like river, rock and cloud. A style transfer algorithm allows creators to apply filters — changing a daytime scene to sunset, or a photorealistic image to a painting. Users can even upload their own filters to layer onto their masterpieces, or upload custom segmentation maps and landscape images as a foundation for their artwork

It's pretty simple to work with. You indicate what the image needs to contain and where, and then the AI works its magic and creates a landscape based on your input. It's not perfect by any means, frequently combining textures when it shouldn't, but with some playing around it can give pretty nice results. I tried to make the Great Valley and the first view of the Mysterious Beyond, attached!

What will you make with this?

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Nice discovery, Mumbling! I like the concept art for the Great Valley and Mysterious Beyond you've created with that new program. I do have to question though, why are the pictures I downloaded a bit blurry? It kinda looks like a pixelated/painted pastel picture. I feel like it would look much better if that was somehow fixed. It's probably just a problem on my end, I don't know. But even then, this piece of technology is still in the developing stages and it will obviously need some refinements. Great job though! :smile

@UnionRags123 and @LeventeII, this tool may be of certain interest as you're both creating Great Valley/Mysterious Beyond maps of your own. It'd be cool to see your own visual interpretations of the map come to life. :)

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
They are indeed kind of blurry, probably because their technology takes bits and pieces from thousands of existing pictures and stitches them together for the end result. This is the highest quality they had available. But hey, it's still nice to see it 'realized' to a certain extend :D