The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tropers are here?

Gungrave

• Reppin' my town; when you see me you know everything's black and yellow.
  • Member+
  • Chomper
  • Solutions Oriented
    • View Profile
I read the tvtropes article on Darwin's Soldiers and it said three of you involved are tropers. Who are those three? STEP FORWARD NOW!
T h e   Y e l l o w    M e n a c e

C H A R A C T E R S

Life. It's easier when one spends less time obsessing over the problem and more time focusing on their solutions.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Haha, that would be me, Serris, and...maybe nick22? Who's the third?

I love writing TV Tropes pages for my works, usually my published video games. It's crazy how much traffic they bring to my itch.io page, literally hundreds of new hits a year. TV Tropes and reddit are the two greatest self-marketing sites I've ever found on the internet.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 02:51:07 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Gungrave

• Reppin' my town; when you see me you know everything's black and yellow.
  • Member+
  • Chomper
  • Solutions Oriented
    • View Profile
I should probably make an account then. Is it weird that I "troped" before I knew tropes were a thing? If something in real life went down, I'd go, "that's the final scene evil speech," or "did you see that? he hit him with the 'hadoken!' (calling your attacks)." I'm not trying to come off as "I troped before it was cool" *tips fedora* It's just weird that this site existed for many years while I used to refer to situations as cliches.

Am I a weirdo?
T h e   Y e l l o w    M e n a c e

C H A R A C T E R S

Life. It's easier when one spends less time obsessing over the problem and more time focusing on their solutions.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
You definitely should, half the fun is creating trope pages for things that don't have pages yet. And yeah, I remembered how it opened my eyes when I first found TV Tropes, it was awesome to discover a site where everyone else was as addicted to chronicling and tabulating media as I was. I was never actually hit by the infamous "TV Tropes fatigue" because I binge-read the whole site in my first year, and after that I only check when I've absorbed a new form of media and want to learn more.

TV Tropes was also a huge part of why I survived college. They simply assigned too many books to all read in time, but I knew they'd have their eyes peeled for people cheating with SparkNotes and similar sites. So instead, I read the Wikpiedia page to learn the book's plot, and TV Tropes to learn the book's style. Together, they're a great summation of the work, and it prevents your essays from feeling as clinical as people who relied on SparkNotes.