The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Encanto is the yassification of LBT

Nikki Lee

• Ruby
    • View Profile
If you know any 5 year olds, or go on places in the internet where 5 year olds go, you'll have heard of the latest Walt Disney cartoon called "Encanto", which apparently became a big hit because of 5 year olds. First it was teletubies and Barney, then it was Frozen, and now it's "Encanto".

Well I got so annoyed by people talking about "Encanto" and "Bruno". So I did a little research, and it turns out that this Encanto thing is a sing-along animated musical. Okay. So I ask these man babies on Tumblr "what's so great about that? There are much better animated sing along musicals, such as the classic LBT series, which has been delighting audiences of all ages for generations".

So then they say "It's deep and mature and about family, it breaks new ground".

Deep? Mature? About Family? Sound familiar? They literally just took everything great about LBT and made it into this trendy colorful disney princess super hero thing with pop songs that babies would like. Just because something is trending on YouTube doesn't mean it's good.

What I hate is that the people who like Encanto, some of them are grown up man babies, and they're the same people to bash me for loving LBT, and say that I like things for babies. Even though they like flipping "Encanto" pop songs for Disney channel kids.

Thoughts on all this? I need to vent.

NatsnCats

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Not a worthy comparison. I have a lot of….opinions about Encanto and the overall state of Disney, but I’ll keep my mouth shut on the matter so I don’t get jumped by Disney fans. Even though LBT has cash grab sequels, at least more thought was put into them and we can (mostly) enjoy them without feeling like going mad. LBT also doesn’t try to be socially or politically correct, and I’m kinda glad they stopped before that crap started trending with animated movies. You’re comparing apples and oranges in this case.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
LBT is completely forgotten in the modern age, there's no way Disney cared about it while designing anything since 2000's Dinosaur.

Encanto didn't steal the moral of family from anywhere because "family" is one of the most overused morals in children's storytelling (second only to "be yourself"), it's tougher to find animated kid's movies that DON'T talk about it. IMO Encanto does have some interesting things to say about generational trauma (my boyfriend is half-Mexican and really related to the movie's commentary on the way Hispanic families tend to treat mental illness), but the core aspects of the story are so generic they're more genre hallmarks than any sort of plagiarism.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 04:32:25 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on February 28, 2022, 04:30:49 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on February 28, 2022, 04:30:49 PM
(second only to "be yourself"), it's tougher to find animated kid's movies that DON'T talk about it.

This statement is incredibly accurate. 'Be yourself' is good in theory, but sure doesn't work too well in the real world.

I don't think it's really fair to group Barney in with Encanto since they're completely different entities for different demographics. Like the posters were mentioning above, sure, it's comparable to LBT, but the premise and execution is totally different. Barney was a preschool show for, surprise surprise, preschool children. That's all. Encanto was made to appeal to more than just children, but families with children. Bigger audiences call for bigger productions.

I didn't really like Encanto either (it was fine, honestly?) and I understand where you're coming from when people poke fun at you for liking kids' media. But I wouldn't target them, either.  :thudstonk

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~