The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Movies that Technically Aren't That Great But You Love Anyway

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
So, I saw the worst movie thread and I think we should have something where we acknowledge while our favorites aren't good by a critic's standpoint or even for a baseline movie in general, but we still love them.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I just rewatched Repo: The Genetic Opera and...I know it had low ratings when it was released, but if you look at what happened in the past year and watch this...it's parallel with 2020. I have a feeling if it was released today it would be an interesting commentary on the USA's healthcare system and how people without insurance are treated in hospitals.

I'm still tickled that Rotti Largo was a Millenial that became the Big Bad in the film. He, along with Amber and Blind Mag are my favorite characters.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Ironically, the most obvious example of this that applies to me would be LBT movies, but I guess we all know about that. :smucky Other than that, there are some Disney movies that deserve way more love in my eyes, and those are Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet. :) The steampunk/sci-fi aesthetic in them is so unique, especially for Disney animation, and the stories are creative, fun adventures even if they are sort of cliche at times. Sadly, neither of these movies was very successful in box offices, though, which means these days Disney just sweeps them both under the rug like they never existed. :( I love them both, though, especially Treasure Planet. At one point, I got into that movie so much that it led me to make one of the most fully-developed OCs I've ever created, plus a whole longfic featuring her! :D

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
The Lost World Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 3 are 2 that come to mind.

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I'm gonna catch major flak for this but Barney's Great Adventure is one of my favorite kids' movies. Everyone hates the heck out of it (some of the hate is fully warranted, some of it is not) but it's good a nice story and I love all the characters.  :ChomperAmused

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm gonna catch major flak for this but Barney's Great Adventure is one of my favorite kids' movies. Everyone hates the heck out of it (some of the hate is fully warranted, some of it is not) but it's good a nice story and I love all the characters.  :ChomperAmused
I haven't seen that film so I won't judge you.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
1965's Battle of the Bulge. May not be great historically speaking  but, it was one of the films to get me interested in history.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Michaels Bay's first Transformers is the only one I like in the Bayformers saga. I mean it's still not great obviously but I think it's good.

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
I’d say “Stay Tuned”, released in 1992 by Morgan Creek.  It got terrible reviews from critics, though I’m not sure why because this movie is funny (the Three’s Company scene was the best!).  In fact, I think this movie is underrated, which is why the reviews aren’t that great… :rolleyes

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'll probably get killed for this one.

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.

*attacked by EVERY hater out there*

*turns out to be a hologram*

Yes, I set up a hologram in preparation for this.  I am projecting this from a remote location and the link is behind multiple VPNs.  So good luck hacking it.

Anyways, I seriously enjoy this one.  Yes, I know it's bad, but I just like it.  I do like the pod race.  I even enjoy the light saber duel with Darth Maul.  Jar Jar Binks doesn't bother me like he does most people.  Not to mention I just love the scene where he gets a droid stuck to his leg and just uses it to take out other droids.  I find it so good.

Really, I think the hatred is over blown, but I realize I'm in the minority here.

Now, Episode 2.  That one deserves the hatred it gets.

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I always liked Home Alone 3 as kid, and I was back then surprised, why it had so bad evaluation. I had not seen it long time, but then I have seen it last year it in English dub now, and I liked it again.

Daddytops2021

• Chomper
    • View Profile
B
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 06:17:21 AM by Daddytops2021 »
Raoul: (voiceover): What is this? A Triceratops? A grocery store with, and… He’s got hot dogs? Subways?

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
There's this godawful old film called Quigley my whole family still brings up occasionally because of how memorably-bad it was. It's about a money-grubbing CEO who gets turned into a Pomeranian so he can stop a little girl from dying, and it's the most nonsensical plot. You just can't take your gaze away from the screen.

Another film which isn't strictly good but actually pretty enjoyable is Sarah Landon and the Paranormal Hour. It was a low-budget horror flick and you could really tell, lighting/acting/editing were all really amateurish, the only saving grace was that it insisted on being family-friendly, forcing them to show restraint and leave a lot of the scares "the tense suspicion of something maybe happening" which actually works suprisingly well. Kinda like how Jaws never really lets you see the shark and is a much better film for it.