The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yep, it's for that one unbelievible game NO ONE thought would come out, but it finally did.

I got it, but am somewhat disappointed by it.

The first thing I will stress out to everyone is that there is no difficulty setting like there would be in most Mario Sport Games. As such, you ponder on just how hard exactly they made the computers. Well, in most cases, too tough for beginners. You'll have to work up moving as fast as you can to get the gold.

Now, I shall give a review of each event I've done thus far.

Athletics:

100m:

So, this is just a simple race to the end. However, the computer is pretty well skilled. You'll find yourself trying to get times of about 10 seconds or lower. I mainly did Yoshi for this one, which got me 8th place with about 12 seconds. I then tried my Mii and brought home the gold with just barely above 10 seconds. This event will take some practice, but you should do just fine after a few tries.

Long Jump:

With this, you get an actual kind of useless feature with the Wiimote&Nunchuck combo. With this event, you start by bringing the Wiimote&Nunchuck together to draw applause. You then just run and jump. The timing of the jump is incredibly important. Too soon, and you won't go far enough to get a medal. Too late, and you foul. I chose Amy for this event. I'll just say that it is incredibly hard to time the jump just right to get that gold. It is very easy to throw a foul. You'll find yourself easily intimidated to jump too soon, thus having less of a chance of getting the medal.

Triple Jump:

Once again, the useless feature of drawing applause comes into play. For this one, you start by running. You then alternate between the Wiimote&Nunchuck to pull of the hop, skip, jump routine. I chose Blaze and then Tails here. Like in the Long Jump, it is rather easy to end up getting a low score or a foul.

Hammer Throw:

With this event, you start by holding the Wiimote vertically and pressing A. You then hold it horizontal and act like your doing a lasso. Timing and speed of your rotation is important here. You have to throw it just right or suffer a foul. I used Knuckles for this one. This event isn't too bad. You'll really have to get up the speed and hit B at just the right time. The computers tend to get about 80 at most, so a good throw is VERY important, though you can easily end up getting less than 50, which is a problem.

Javulean Throw:

With this event, you simply run and throw. With this, the timing and strength is important. Too soon, and you get a low score. Too late, and you get a foul. Too powerful, and you'll get a VERY low score. I chose Vector for this. I actually pulled off 104m on my 2nd try, thus acheieving not only the Gold, but the OR and WR for the event. As long as you have good timing and a don't go too strong, you should be fine.

Aquatics:

100m Freestyle:

May seem like a simple swimming event to the end, right? Wrong! There are different types of strokes here, each one representing a different way to use the Wiimote&Nunchuck. Each charcter holds a special type of stroke that they go by. Mastering these strokes is important. It is also important to keep an eye on that heart guage. If it drains out, you slow down and eventually start to drown from exhaustion, thus getting you a disqualification. Time it right with B to get the heart meter back up. Timing it right will give your charcter an extra wind, so to speak, thus getting a slightly better stamina to work with. You also have to time it right with the turn around point to prevent slowing down. I used Peach the first time and got 8th. I then used my Mii and got the Gold. Finding the stroke you work best with and timing of B is important to winning this event. By the way, diving is the only easy part of this.

4x100m Freestyle:

With this one, it's like the 100m Freestyle, but you have to choose 4 charcters instead of just one. They take turns going the usual 100m distance. For this, I chose Tails, Yoshi, Amy and Knuckles. Here's an interesting thing to note, your team name is determined by the one who goes first. With this one, you have to be able to master all the different strokes, since each chacter will use something different. I found myself losing very easily with this one.

Shooting:

Skeet:

Possibly one of the hardest events. You just have to shoot targets. The problem is that they go at a speed that makes them tricky to hit. A steady hand and timing are incredibly important here, especially since you have a limit of one shot per target, so don't waste any. I chose Shadow here. I easily lost this one. I'm really bad at the timing. Luckily, for those of you who study games, there is a hidden patern to the game. Find the patern and time it right, and you should be fine.

Fencing:

Individual EpÈe:

For those wondering, it's "epah". With this, it's kind of a sword fight deal. You earn points by hitting your opponent with a thrust. Many stereotype rich people are known for practicing this event. With this event, I used Amy and got the Bronze. Different charcters hold different battle styles with this one. Find ways to counter them, and you should be fine.

Gymnastics:

Trampoline:

With this one, you jump on the trampoline and perform tricks. You have to start with trying to get a 7 meter jump as quickly as possible. You then use A, B and twisting the Wiimote to perform tricks. Missing the tricks it assigns you to cuts your points. I started by choosing Tails, which got me last, and then used Eggman, which got me the Bronze. Try your best not to mess up to get as high of a score as possible to get that gold.

Table Tennis:

Single:

With this, you simply hit the ball back and forth. You also get to pull off power shots with A and counter them with B, but they're difficult to pull off. Timing of your swing is important, as when you swing will effect which direction it goes. I used Tails for this. Let's just say that the bad camera angle threw me off with this one. (I thought SEGA had finally gotten over that.)

Well, that's all there is. For now, I give it a 7.5/10. Not bad, but it could've been made better. -_-

Well, I'll see ya guys later! :^.^:

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
I'll hold back my negative opinions on the game and go on to what I think is good about it...

I think it's a fantastic way to show the capabilities of the Wii

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Don't you have to be very careful, with certain games you don't accidentally release your Wii remote / controller and brake it as it flies out the window, hits someone, the tv, or something else?  If I had a wii I'd be very nervous about that I think.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
There's a high chance I'll never get this game. Sports games are not my thing, and pokeplayer984's post told me all I needed to know about the game. If I want to beat Sonic up with Mario, or vice versa, I'll just get SSBB when it comes out. :rolleyes:

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Nov 10 2007 on  07:03 PM
Don't you have to be very careful, with certain games you don't accidentally release your Wii remote / controller and brake it as it flies out the window, hits someone, the tv, or something else?  If I had a wii I'd be very nervous about that I think.
so true XD there's a strap, but there is that risk indeed

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I myself am probably not going to get the game. I was going to at first, but then I realized there's really nothing special about the game. Sure it might be the first game to bring together two legendary mascots, but personally it's just another collections of mini-games featuring Mario and Sonic in hopes of attracting a bigger crowd. Besides, the feedback for the game has been a big fat meh, and there are some things I read that really turned me off. Example being the difficulty. I am going to finally get a Wii on birthday, so I'll be a beginner at using it, and that game has no difficulty. I'm much better off with Wii sports since I played it at a friend's house, and I gotta say it's a pretty fun game, though I need to sharpin my skills because right now I suck at using the Wii. XD

If you want Mario and Sonic to compete with each other, than wait for Brawl. That will be a lot more fun than this other game.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I think I'm going to pass on this game. I've always wanted to see Mario and Sonic go at it head to head, but not like this.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
I've been planning on getting this game for a while now. But I'll wait for a price drop, I don't think it's worth $52 full price (Yes, here in Puerto Rico things are three dollars more than in the US, and that's without tax).

I'll definetly get it after a price drop though. Unless I snap and buy it at full price anyway XD

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, Gameinformer Magazine gave this a rating of 4/10, and that should give you a basic idea of what to do now.

As for me, well, I'll enjoy it while I can.  Thanksgiving will be a good point for me to enjoy it as my relatives will be over and the kids need something to entertain them. ;)

I think the real value of it comes with Multiplayer.  It'll be fully tested by me when the time comes. :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i rented the game this weekend and to tell you the truth, i had a lot more fun then i though i would. My mom's friend came up and i played the game with her son, so that probably contributed to the fun i had. I don't think its a good enough game to buy though.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
anyone else see this as an unnecessary cash in? couldn't this have just been another Wii Sports game instead of a triple endorsement?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tails_155,Dec 14 2007 on  08:33 PM
anyone else see this as an unnecessary cash in? couldn't this have just been another Wii Sports game instead of a triple endorsement?
I haven't played it, but the whole idea of the game seems fairly cheap and not something I'd be that into. This wasn't the best way to bring the two worlds together (thought it at least established them as being in the same, er, "Marioverse").

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This wasn't the best way to bring the two worlds together
Thats were Smash Bros Brawl comes in! :DD