The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Christmas music

Petrie. · 56 · 9384

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I concur with what has been said about listening to Christmas songs way before November. I do that all the time and sometimes I even like to listen to Summer songs when it's winter. I don't think people should judge others because of what they listen to in their personal free time, as that doesn't concern others. I don't agree with calling other people out for listening to particular songs only because it's not the right time. Who actually defines when it is the perfect time to listen to a particular song? Nobody. And as of now, I am currently busy with listening to Christmas and Summer songs. ::)

Screw all haters and enjoy early Christmas, I suppose. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN7LW0Y00kE
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:49:06 AM by Anagnos »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
"Bumpity, bump, bump, bumpity, bump, bump! Look at Frosty go!"

In other news, I'll be bumping this thread.

Here’s the song the line I quoted came from! My favorite rendition of Frosty the Snowman, made by Perry Como. :)

Well, actually it was thumpity thump thump, but I modified it for the sake of the thread bump. :p

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5nAFXXIE7Q0

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I had a feeling that you would mention those Classic Christmas songs. Admittedly, since I have a huge bias preference towards them, I didn’t mention them as “overplayed” in my original post despite knowing full well how much they are. I just love them too much to get tired of the songs no matter how much they’re played honestly. But ultimately, I agree that there’s a wide selection of other Christmas music to choose from, which is exactly why I have a Christmas Playlist to compile a lot of them. :)

To clarify, I don't think they're bad songs by any means. I've just heard them too many times. But I'm also a 60s, 70s, and 80s fan with music in general, so perhaps if it was more music from that era I wouldn't mind as much.

I get and see your reasons why you may think that way of Halloween. Hmm...perhaps being born near the time of Autumn has influenced your interests? Maybe.

Hmm, I don't think that's why, or at least not the main reason. Early September does have significance to me for being my bday, but my sentimental feelings tend to carry beyond September as well. It seems to be a combination of the cooling weather, the leaves gradually turning yellow, the school semesters starting up again (even though I'm no longer in school), and Halloween itself coming up that evokes magical and nostalgic, yet somewhat melancholy feelings as well.

This is my favourite Christmas song of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SldDENZ_jU

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
To clarify, I don't think they're bad songs by any means. I've just heard them too many times. But I'm also a 60s, 70s, and 80s fan with music in general, so perhaps if it was more music from that era I wouldn't mind as much.

I knew what you meant. Just because it is "overplayed", it doesn't lessen your liking or enjoyment of a song in the long term. Basically, you need a fresh-breather and sometime off from those same songs. I sometimes feel that way as well actually. :yes

Hmm, I don't think that's why, or at least not the main reason. Early September does have significance to me for being my bday, but my sentimental feelings tend to carry beyond September as well. It seems to be a combination of the cooling weather, the leaves gradually turning yellow, the school semesters starting up again (even though I'm no longer in school), and Halloween itself coming up that evokes magical and nostalgic, yet somewhat melancholy feelings as well.

Ah, that makes much more sense. Thank you for elaborating your point further. Although, I don't think of school starting as "sentimental" or "nostalgic", I just think of it as "the start of hell and back again." :lol

But then again, your perspective is different from mine. I am still in school, while you're out there in the great big adult world! :p

You showed me your favorite Christmas song of all time, now it's time to show mine. :DD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-1MkGZMvL4

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's my list.

-The 12 Pains of Christmas
-All I Want For Christmas is You
-Where Are You Christmas?
-Hey Santa!
-The Night Santa Went Crazy
-Away in A Manger
-Silent Night

I've got more.  I'll just need time to think about them.  A lot of Christmas songs I don't mind hearing.  So, when stores start playing them, I won't care too much.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
i think fpolks pigeon hole chrostmas music into the end of year, as part of hyping up christmas. for stores its halloween - Christmas ( thanksgiving gets the shaft)
 as for whether christmas songs get overplayed , of course they do. Only so many times you can hear " grandma Got run over by a reindeer " after all.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer", now there's a tune I don't get tired of hearing. :smile

Thanksgiving especially gets the shaft if you live in Canada, since it's mid-October instead of November. Poor Thanksgiving. :p

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Huh, Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer is actually one of my lesser favorite Christmas songs. It’s not as catchy or as good as the other Christmas songs in my opinion. If you can direct me to a version of that song you listen to, then that’ll be appreciated. :)

Edit: It is on my Christmas playlist keep in mind, it’s just that I don’t enjoy it as much as the others. It’s not bad, but not good either.

...It’s time for Gene Autry’s beloved 1949 Classic! :)littlefoot
Just so you know, I’m currently in the mood for it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xjLTDaCUYuQ

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:33:38 PM by ImpracticalDino »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Huh, Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer is actually one of my lesser favorite Christmas songs. It’s not as catchy or as good as the other Christmas songs in my opinion. If you can direct me to a version of that song you listen to, then that’ll be appreciated. :)

There aren't any special versions of the song I know of. I have heard multiple versions before, I just don't remember who the artists are. But that does remind me of another song I'm quite fond of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-Mce9VpmY

Hmm, I seem to have a thing for Xmas songs that are darkly comical.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I enjoy Christmas music for the most part, but I very rarely play any of it myself. We are 'lucky' to have another holiday on 5 December, so most music and advertising is aimed at that and the Christmas stuff tends to start after. When I'm putting up the tree I like to listen to a Christmas oriented channel though, might as well get into the mood :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Run Run rudolph is one my Christmas go-tos. If you look at the songs normally played  during Christmatime, they are predominantly classics, Where are you Christmas? ( which came out in 2000) being a rare recent song.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here’s a pretty modern Christmas song for you guys to listen to. It’s an instrumental made by Brandon Fietcher in 2014. The song is one of many in his album “Winter Wonderland.” Pretty relaxing in my opinion. :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IOxdcMvd8DQ

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't listen to a whole lot of music in the first place so naturally I don't listen to a whole lot of Christmas music. The most would be having it on in the background when I'm visiting my parents. I also should note that I work in retail so I hear Christmas songs about 1000 times a day for however many months they decide to have it on :p

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here’s a pretty modern Christmas song for you guys to listen to. It’s an instrumental made by Brandon Fietcher in 2014. The song is one of many in his album “Winter Wonderland.” Pretty relaxing in my opinion. :)

Lovely. Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard that one before.

I enjoy Christmas music for the most part, but I very rarely play any of it myself. We are 'lucky' to have another holiday on 5 December, so most music and advertising is aimed at that and the Christmas stuff tends to start after. When I'm putting up the tree I like to listen to a Christmas oriented channel though, might as well get into the mood :)

@Mumbling: Oh, interesting. We don't have that here in Canada. What's the holiday you guys have on December 5th?

I don't listen to a whole lot of music in the first place so naturally I don't listen to a whole lot of Christmas music. The most would be having it on in the background when I'm visiting my parents. I also should note that I work in retail so I hear Christmas songs about 1000 times a day for however many months they decide to have it on :p

I used to work in retail, so I know your pain. The store I worked at had this custom playlist of songs, many of which were songs I enjoyed in themselves, but the playlist would just loop over and over with no variation, so nearly all of the songs I eventually got sick of. :p

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
While there are not many Christmas songs that get me going, I do find some of them very enjoyable. I'll be sure to post them here every now and then. For now, I couldn't help but run into this one. I don't remember where I first heard it, but it definitely was during Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXQViqx6GMY

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^Wow, that was the song I was talking about with StardustSoldier days ago, haha. It was the one where I say its very overplayed on the radio. I guess it isn't popular outside the U.S? Hmm...

While I was watching videos of the Mayhem guy from the Allstate commercials, I stumble upon a bunch of Christmas themed songs from him. Enjoy! :lol

Uh-oh Christmas Tree - A Very Mayhem Holiday Playlist
Wreck The Walls - A Very Mayhem Holiday Playlist
Fall Off The Housetop - A Very Mayhem Holiday Playlist
Oh Dang Sigh - A Very Mayhem Holiday Playlist
Jingle Yells - A Very Mayhem Holiday Playlist
Carol of the Smells - A Very Mayhem Holiday Playlist
The Dreidel Song - A Very Mayhem Holiday Playlist

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

@Mumbling: Oh, interesting. We don't have that here in Canada. What's the holiday you guys have on December 5th?
It's the holiday where the rest of the world based Christmas on ;) Santa Claus is very much inspired by our Dutch Sinterklaas, right up to the pronunciation. Children get presents on the eve of 5 December.

It's shrouded in controversy these past few years since the internet got wind of his helpers, Black Pete (similar to your elves), since people are in blackface. However I'd like to state that while once this might have had racist roots, one should not take offense as their face is simply covered in 'soot' from our chimneys. These days his helper is often covered in black streaks, rather than having the whole face covered.

This holiday replaces Christmas as a gift-giving occasion. Christmas is more religious, a time to spend with your family. However as with many popular US holidays, it is gaining in popularity to also give gifts during Christmas (mostly just among adults, to keep the believe in Sinterklaas alive).

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Spend a Christmas in Hollis with Run DMC! :)littlefoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYDoDjGKbMc

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile