The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Best Game(s) of 2007

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With 2007 come and gone now, it is time to look at what you believed to be the best of the best in gaming.

What Game(s) do you believe to be the best of 2007?  Why?

My votes:

XBox 360: Mass Effect:

An RPG game unlike any other.  If there is one thing Bioware knows how to make, its really good unique RPG games.  With this, you pretty much get to control the storyline of the game. (How it all works is decided by the choice of questions and statements you have the main charcter make.) Aside from practically controlling the path of the game, you get to shoot quite a number of enemies, which usually take a bit of strategy to defeat. (In some cases, you REALLY have to get clever.) Biggest thing for me is that this is the first XBox 360 game I've really enjoyed playing. (Others were good, they just didn't suck me in like this one.) :)

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy:

Its great these days when we get one AAA Mario game in a year.  So, how did we get two?  Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best Mario games ever made.  Being able to beat a certian chick's deep and dark storyline game was quite a challenge for our plumber of gaming, but he pulled it off.  Sure the camera may once in a while not have the right angle, but the crazy gravity defying gameplay has made this one of the craziest and most fun games ever.  Also, it's not just spheres he gets on.  Just about any object of any shape has it's own force of gravity for Mario to work with.  This is what makes it one of the best games for 2007.

Nintendo DS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass:

As much as I love Pokemon, I have to give credit to TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass for doing SO well with the Touch Screen feature.  When you can do it Touch Effect so well that it hardly makes a difference if it was made without it, you know you have a winner.  The ability to get the All Touch Gameplay just right made it stand out from others that have tried the attempt.  Zelda, you've done what few have accomplished with All Touch Gameplay.  You got it right.

That's all I have on my list.

What are yours? :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How is Zelda? I heard on a ds podcast that you have to keep going into the same dungeon over and over and go through the same areas of the dungeon.  

I've not played any 2007 games yet.  The fav games I've played, after getting back into video games has been age of mythology, and battle for middle earth 1.  I liked 2 but the campaign was way to short.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
LEGEND OF ZELDA TWILIGHT PRINCESS!!!
Or was that '06?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Jan 2 2008 on  10:21 AM
LEGEND OF ZELDA TWILIGHT PRINCESS!!!
Or was that '06?
It came out in 2006 as a launch Wii title.  So, it doesn't count. :P:

Chikara

• Chomper
    • View Profile

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
HALO 3 HANDS DOWN!

P.S. I've wanted to try and play Mass Effect...so I may need to stop by Blockbuster on the way home.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Too many games for me to decide on just one per console (the idea sounds too daunting  :P: ). There have been a few choice games I'm glad to have purchased thought. 2007 was a good year for gaming I reckon.

Games of 2007 I liked:

The Orange Box (PC/PS3/360)
Bioshock (PC/360)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Tomb Raider Anniversary (multi-format)
MGS: Portable Ops (PSP)
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)

There are others but I can't think of them all but I have to say, I am looking forward to some of the games on release the first quarter of 2008!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Heres one that hasn't been mentioned yet:
Call of Duty 4:
The Call of Duty series has always been a great shooter game. The only real reason i've never really taken any interest into the game is because its been a WWII shooter and i've grown really tired of those. So they finally changed it to a modern day war this time around, so i don't have much to complain anymore. Also, the level up feature for the multiplayer is a neat aspect. Gain Exp in matches to unlock new wepons, abilities or even make your own custom classes.

Thats the only other one the i can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet. Unfortunately i haven't gotten around to playing CoD 4, been busy playing other games on my Wii.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm gonna do it this way.
Best overall game: BioShock (I'm saying that because it was voted as game of the year.  All the other ones are my opinion.)

Best music score: Ace Combat 6
As always, Ace Combat 6 keeps up with the tradition of epic music scores.  The music adds a lot to the missions and the overall atmosphere of the game.  The Liberation of Gracemeria was one of the mose beautiful backround music themes I've ever heard except for The Unsung War from Ace Combat 5.

Best story: Halo 3
It's Halo.  Need I say more?

Best graphics: Ace Combat 6
The graphics in this game look so real and the explosion and special effects are amazing.  

Best first person shooter: Call of Duty 4
Well, I haven't played it but I heard it was absolutely amazing.

Best RPG: I haven't played any of the new RPGs so I'll just say Mass Effect because everyone seems to like it.

Best action fighting game: Spider-Man 3 (Xbox 360, PC, PS3)
The combat moves in the game are amazing.  The button mashing parts are annoying if you mess up but they look awesome if you do it right.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
My pic for each system:

XBOX 360: Mass Effect

This was a hard choice, because there are so many awesome games for the 360. I know many people would hate me for not choosing Halo 3, but I would call it the best multiplayer game. Mass Effect has amazing graphics, storyline, and gameplay. If you enjoyed Star Wars Kotor, I highly recommend you get this game!

PS3: Call of Duty 4

Some people will argue that this may be better on the 360, but this is my opinion. CoD4 had to be on the list somewhere, so why not for the PS3. This is definitely one of the anticipated games that will save the PS3 from the hole it started in when it first was released.

Wii: Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

I know a lot of people will say that Super Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3 are better than this. The reason why I chose this game, besides the fact that I am a huge RE fan, is that it's easy to learn and fun at the same time. In my opinion, it was pretty hard learning the controls for Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, so I really liked this game for being quick to learn. If you are new to the Wii and need a good shooter, I recommend this game.

PC: Tabula Rasa

Normally, I'm not much of an MMO person, but this game inspired me to give it a try. There are hundreds of missions your character can take in this game, and the gameplay is well thoughtout and a lot of fun. However, I chose this game because of the unique character engine. Now, you can clone your character if you wanted to specialize in a different class than your first character, so you don't have to start over with a brand new one,

Nintendo DS: Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Zelda games haev a reputation to keep up with the hits like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, and this game definitely keeps it up. I was really excited for this game to come out, and when I got it I couldn't stop playing it. It's a great adventure, and the DS uses the dual screens very well.

The only reason I am not doing PSP is because I don't have one

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Jan 8 2008 on  10:04 AM
Wii: Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

I know a lot of people will say that Super Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3 are better than this. The reason why I chose this game, besides the fact that I am a huge RE fan, is that it's easy to learn and fun at the same time. In my opinion, it was pretty hard learning the controls for Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, so I really liked this game for being quick to learn. If you are new to the Wii and need a good shooter, I recommend this game.
It was pretty easy for me to learn how to work Metroid Prime 3.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It was pretty easy for me to learn how to work Metroid Prime 3
Ya me too. It probably took me upwards to about a mintute to get used to, maybe even less then that.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've heard the games in the orange box thingie were very popular.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Jan 8 2008 on  07:31 PM
I've heard the games in the orange box thingie were very popular.
I think what most people were sorting after the Orange Box for was Half Life 2; Episode 2 that continued the high-hyped Half Life 2 storyline. I've got the Orange Box for both PC and PS3. Also, the puzzler Portal is good fun (and the announcer woman over the tannoy is a laugh-riot :lol)