The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask a Question of Me

Caustizer · 128 · 12806

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
This is a neat page and it really helps to get to know people.

If there is something about me you wish to know about me then shoot (no pun intended)  :lol

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
What got you interested in Twilight Valley. Sorry, standard question to all who have read it.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
What inspired you to join the Darwin's Soldiers RP?

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Serris:

What got me interested in Twilight Valley was that I am, as you can tell, very into war games and more specifically Command and Conquer. I first started viewing people's stories because I noticed that nobody was reviewing mine, and I figured that I had to earn that by contributing to other people's works. As an aspiring writer I would want praise yes, but I would also want critizism to know where I can improve. Born from that was the idea of Question, Comment and Qualm where I can give an even approach to reviewing without being too biased either way.

That and I had a spurt of inspiration around chapter 5 where I noticed how similar Claw Valley was to NOD in Tiberium Wars... so from that point on I started imagining what weapons and ideals the two sides would have if it was a Future Wars setting and well... if something inspires me I stick to it.  :lol

LettuceBacon&Tomato

Like I said above I'm very interested in the futuristic war genre and Darwin's Soldiers made a good representation of a setting where science was in control but also allowed for the chance to make your own adventure outside the main storyline. I haven't really done online RPs, so it was something I wanted to try for fun.  That and I'm also bored as hell here with nothing to do... so it's nice to have something to come onto the internet for.

Caustizer.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Did you finish reading my DS story, Card of Ten, after your first critique? (which was very useful, BTW, you'll see my latest story does have an RP recap, thanks to you :!) If so, what did you think?

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I haven't started reading Card of Ten yet... now that i have done Sharptooth Valley II it looks like I'll have to read that one next.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I haven't really done online RPs, so it was something I wanted to try for fun.

Wow, same with me! Darwin's Soldiers is the first and only online RP I've ever done too! If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask, I went through the learning phase, and still remember what it was like :)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes.  Although I'm going to have to do something about the other two characters before I can really start developing Clyco... a shootout would be nice.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
How did you come up with your character name Frederick Clyco for the Darwin's Soldiers RP?

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Who's your favorite character in LBT?

That would be Ruby... she has many admirable qualities as well as acting as a secondary Littlefoot.  Some things I like about her is how she is from the Mysterious Beyond, unlike Chomper who was born in the valley, so she sees things differently then the others do, and how she is smart and knows a lot of things that brings the others to come to her during matters that they might tend to go to an adult for.

How did you come up with your character name Frederick Clyco for the Darwin's Soldiers RP?

It just came to me... sometimes I'll think about things for a while and then the appropriate name will just pop into my head. A ton of characters in my stories are named that way - simply because the name sounds right for the moment.

If his name was Johnny Tweetums or something like that I doubt he would be seen the same way as I intend Clyco to be percieved.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Do you have any suggestions for Twilight Valley? What do you want changed?

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Sep 26 2009 on  11:06 PM
Do you have any suggestions for Twilight Valley? What do you want changed?
Wow this is a very big question, but I'm glad you asked it.

If I was writing Twilight Valley I would probably proceed like this:

1) Now that Mr. Threehorn is rightfully the General of the Great Valley the first thing he should do is organize their ground forces. Up to this point groups have been sort of "you, you, and you come with me we are going to attack", as well as a few organized patrols.  He should maximize the effectiveness of their army by only grouping members of a single species together, preferably close family, in groups of a set number (say 6 or 8). This is a very "Topsyish" idea, but historical examples prove that it can work, just like the Roman Phalanx, who would compose each line of men from a similar homecity to envolk a "bond of brothers" that wouldn't be there if they all came from different places.

2) To this point the war has fought mostly involving Fast-runners, Swimmers, and friendly Fast-biters. While this makes sense from the point of view of they can wield weapons, it also fails to truely take advantage of the Great Valleys strength - namely it's large leaf-eaters. When it comes to close combat I can see Threehorns being the most useful, due to their naturally well armoured form, while fast-runners would be great in a supporting role due to their speed (ie as Cavalry charging the flanks).  Again, this touches on Topsy's "Racial Ranks" idea, but it would most certainly prove itself in battle.

3) Excidium hasn't been mentioned in a while, so we not only don't really hate him but we have also nearly forgotten about him. We also haven't heard from his "Special Forces" since two of them were defeated in a sneaking mission into the Valley. If Excidium's "Stalkers" are an important part of his army, they should be taking a more direct role in bringing about the end of the Great Valley.  Ms. Maia is an important and well developed villian, but in the big picture of things she is little more then an annoying henchwoman in the greater scheme.  It would truely be evil if Excidium chopped up the Stone of Cold Fire, gave a fragment to each of his lieutenants, and had them use it to resserect dead sharpteeth on the battlefield (maybe even have them come back as "Reborn" even better then they were in life).  

I hope you don't take these suggestions as criticisms, because the story is really good so far and has remained interesting since I started reading it.  Just a few little tweaks here and there, as well as getting the plot ball rolling again and it would turn out awesome!

Caustizer.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Where did you come up with the names for all the wingtail characters in "Far Away Home"? (Apart from Sky, Star, and Glide, that is.)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm glad you asked that Pangaea!

All of the names are ones that I created on my own, but some of them have a bit of a pun associated with them.

For instance, Eybron's name is pronounced "Eye-brawn" which goes along with all the Optical imagery in the story (The Occular, The Eye of the World, etc.)

Tenebron was actually the name of a dragon in World of Warcraft, so I originally wasn't going to use it (due to it's lack of originality) but it just sounded like a noble name for an elder so I used it for Eybron's father.

Aunt Fliela was difficult to name (pronouned "FLY-la") but her original name, Aunt Fly, didn't sound complex enough for an older figure.

Uncle Sturgeon is based off a guy in my English class, named Hienrich Sturgeon.  Ironcially he is getting his education to be a surgeon, so he would be Dr. Sturgeon the Surgeon. I thought it was funny at the time, so I made a note to use his name somewhere in my story.

Cinceel was a name I really fiddled with.  I wanted to get the "eel" image in there for an elder that nobody is supposed to like.

The Grand Creator Benzon, and his great-grandson Aizon (who comes in Act III) were both based on the same ending as Tenebron and Eybron, but one that still manages to sound different.

I hope this answers you question. :smile

Caustizer.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
(I wish I had that kind of imagination for coming up with names for characters. :rolleyes)

You mentioned recently that you’re going on a “Geological Excursion”. As someone who is fascinated by geology, I was curious about where you're going and what you will be doing.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm going up to Algonquin Park to study a Syenite Deposit up by Bancroft with my University Minerology class.  Its a three day trip that we have to make a report about the area in.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Man I must be pretty unknown for nobody to want to ask me a question.  Okay, here's some info about me that people might find interesting:

- I am a fanatic over Command and Conquer games, and my favourite faction is the Allies for it's technical complexity

- I enjoy writing stories, and find myself coming up for new ideas all the time. Very rarely however do I actually write them into being, but Rise of Storm Tide and Far Away Home are 2 such cases.

- I am currently debating on whether to do a sequal for FAH... but if I did it would be called "Into the Black Sun," and it would nominally feature the children of the gang.

- My current university degree is in Atmospheric Science.  I have ambitions to become a Storm Chaser.

- I recieved a medal declaring me a 'Hero of Canada' for saving the life of a hiker in the deep woods

- I spent 6 years of my life in Scouts, and hence tend to prefer more rugged camping trips over cushy ones

- My favourite character in Land Before Time is Ruby, followed closely by Chomper.  I like her not because she is pink and speaks funny, but because of what she represents.  As a child of the Mysterious Beyond, she views the world differently then the others do and is very close to Chomper...  a lot closer then he really lets on.

Bring on the Qs!  :DD

Caustizer

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Do you like the Tiberian series?