The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask a Question of Me

Caustizer · 128 · 13047

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
So how is your LBT: Future Wars work going?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Jun 5 2010 on  10:05 PM
I found it disturbing that there was a 'pattern' in my writing that you mentioned, as predictable entertainment quickly becomes boring.
Whoa, no! It wasn't a bad thing! :blink: I didn't think it was boring at any point; it just kept me guessing. I couldn't tell whether something surprising or dramatic was going to happen or not, so I was in a state of anticipation throughout the whole chapter. And the last part WAS pretty exciting. I didn't feel like there was anything predictable about it! Heck, maybe it was only me who thought there was any sort of pattern. (I wish there were more people reviewing the story, so I would know whether or not anyone thinks and/or notices the same things. :()

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Jun 5 2010 on  11:14 PM
So how is your LBT: Future Wars work going?
The Future Wars project was fueled by a single source.... music.

Most of the units and abilities, as well as personalities, were made as I listened to Frank Klepacki's excellant music, and as such when I found such amazing tracks as 'Machines Collide' and 'It Has Begun' it let to something absolutely amazing in the creation of Future Wars: Invasion.

Currently, I haven't been able to find music of that callibre anywhere so the work has stagnated.

Sure I still come up with things every once in a while, and lately I have been putting together some ideas for new weapons that Claw would use under Theta's rule.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Here's a simple question:

Like Jack Sparrow of Pirates of the Carribean had one bullet saved for a certain someone, if you had a cream pie in your hand, who in the world would you save it for? ;)

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In all honesty, I'd probably eat it.

Cream Pies are delicious.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Jun 15 2010 on  07:44 PM
I used to launch rockets, and had one of them fail to go ten metres due to an underpowered engine, had one travel over a mile and nearly reach sub-orbit, and had one explode in the sky with the rest of the public school watching - the pilot capsule ejected but due to strong winds was never recovered.
Do you mean rockets as in REAL rockets? :blink: Or just elaborate model rockets?

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Model Rockets.

I still have the blackened and burnt first stage of the rocket that exploded, since it fell down to earth even though the plastic pilot's capsule was carried away by the wind since it's parachute broke loose from the main body.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's sort of what I thought, :oops but still, I didn't know model rockets could travel that far. :! About how high is “sub-orbit”, exactly?

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Jun 15 2010 on  09:53 PM
That's sort of what I thought, :oops but still, I didn't know model rockets could travel that far. :! About how high is “sub-orbit”, exactly?
It really depends on how large the booster rocket is and how you calibrate the bottom opening to increase the power.  One of the rockets I set off was almost too large to be considered a 'model'   :lol

In my mind 'sub-orbit' is anywhere above the troposphere, since the nearest satellite orbits are in the exosphere and you need special clearence for one of that hieght.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Jun 16 2010 on  05:57 PM
In my mind 'sub-orbit' is anywhere above the troposphere, since the nearest satellite orbits are in the exosphere and you need special clearence for one of that hieght.
So, about how high (in miles, kilometers, feet, or otherwise), do you estimate the rocket went?

(Sorry; I don't know a heck of a lot about atmospheric science, and from what I've read, the depth of the troposphere varies depending on latitude. I like my data to be as specific as possible. :p)

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not going to pretend to be a rocket scientist, but the rocket went high enough into the atmopshere (probably nearly a kilometer) that when it exploded several of the components were never recovered.

The only piece that actually came to earth was the first stage of the rocket.  It broke loose when the ejection discharge (an explosive component built into most rocket engines) went off and broke the tether that kept the stages of the rocket together.  The force of the explosion due to the rediciously overcharged engine (it was my fault for putting a supercharged and expensive rocket engine into a relatively small vessel) blew it's charge and caused the rocket to disintigrate.

The 'pilot's capsule' where a human might have been held, was never found because the wind carried it so many kilometers away that we gave up searching for it.

Net result - I haven't launched a rocket since.  I'm holding the burned and battered first stage of the rocket in my hand right now!

Caustizer.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow. :o

Okay, here’s another question inspired by your recent ”Tell us something about yourself!” post
”Tell us something about yourself!” post:
Quote from: Caustizer,Jun 15 2010 on  07:44 PM
World Renowned proffessor Stephen Hawking is currently teaching the class that I am enrolled for next fall at University of Waterloo.
Okay, first off: :wow

Second, does this mean that Stephen Hawking will be one of your professors next fall? :!

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Jun 17 2010 on  01:57 AM
Okay, first off: :wow

Second, does this mean that Stephen Hawking will be one of your professors next fall? :!
Hopefully.

There are a couple of physics profs teaching the same astronomy course, so I may end up with one of them instead.   :angel

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Have you had a chance to meet Mr. Hawking in person?

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
No.  I haven't been back to the University since he flew in this summer.  If I'm lucky, I may get the chance to this fall.  :smile

Caustizer.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Could you possibly share with us some of the highlights of your vacation? :angel

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm afraid as far as vacations go it wasn't terribly exciting.  The problem was we were in a state of 'been there done that' because this was our 3rd or 4th trip out to the area in the past decade.

A guess a couple of highlights of the vacation would be:

1) We missed the Massive Fireworks Festival in Quebec because dad was sure it would rain...  turns out it didn't and we as a result missed out.

2) We visited a beached Submarine that had been turned into a museum, but unfortunately the tour schedule meant we had to wait an hour to get on - time we couldn't afford.  Another activity missed.

3) We arrived in Shediac for Lobsterfest, and ate lots of seafood.  Both me and my dad got sick over the course of four days, effectively ruining half the vacation.

4) We visited Lunenburg, a town in Nova Scotia famous for the Bluenose ship (undefeated in any race) but the place was deserted because of a nearby Regetta in a different town.  Lots of space to walk around.

5) I got 12 Guardsmen and a Commissar painted for my Imperial Guard model army... they look really good.

Caustizer.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh…Sorry to hear that your vacation wasn't very good. :(

Are you planning to post pictures of those newly painted figures up with your other(?) Warhammer pieces so we can see how good they look? :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I’ve asked this same question of Sky, but since you essentially came up with a new concept of wingtails for Far Away Home, I’m asking you too. :p I'd like to hear your different takes on it.

How large did you imagine wingtails to be? (In comparison to humans, the other LBT dinosaurs, in feet, centimeters, etc.; whatever terms you can come up with.)