The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Of course. :neutral

Would you want a sequel made if it was animated like the first film over CGI or the tv series style?

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You know what? What the hell. Go CG. we've already got a crap load of the series and people would just complain if it looked cartoony again. I don't know how a sequel could be made considering watership wraps itself up. I think the main draw for the film was that it was about rabbits killing each other and dying. All they would have to do is keep the tone and do that by about x2 and it would become a cult classic again today, regardless if it's good or not. That's what the film was back in 78, and I think it would break new ground today as a cg film in 2011 or whatever.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Campion1,Feb 16 2011 on  07:48 PM
You know what? What the hell. Go CG. we've already got a crap load of the series and people would just complain if it looked cartoony again.
I prefer traditionally animated films in the style of the first Land Before Time or Watership Down.

Who is your favorite character from the Watership Down franchise?

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I do too, but we need something to bring a spark to CG like watership did for animation.

Now, my favorite character? Campion of course... I admit, I really liked Bigwig in the book, but he just seemed a little too overpowered to win me over. Campion did it for me, because he belonged to a flawed force. He knew it was flawed, but it was what he grew on, and woundwort was important to him. Eventually he was noticed by watership and had to play spygames with woundwort and his rival Vervain. When things started to finally make sense for him, disaster struck, and at the breaking point, he sacrificed himself for woundwort. (spoilers) He is brought back by the black rabbit himself, but his death alone effects EVERYONE, and woundwort even mourns his death. Not only that, but it brought him a realization about himself. I think Campion is a force more than just an individual.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Gen. Woundwort mourns :o

Does Campion live in the tv series too? It says he does on Wikipedia and Watership Down Wiki, but you know how reliable they can be without references. :rolleyes

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, he does live, but at one point he dies. He is brought back by the black rabbit with the command of ending woundwort. Eventually some things happen (i won't say anything) and he does get to settle down in the end.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I read this on Watership Down wiki:

In the animated series, Campion sees that Woundwort's leadership is destroying Efrafa, but is torn between his feelings for the free ways of Watership Down and his loyalty to his chief rabbit. In the end, Campion turns against Woundwort to save his friend's warren, yet sacrifices himself to save Woundwort from a falling rock. Surviving miraculously but with terrible scars and losing an ear, Campion is touched by the Black Rabbit of InlÈ and is tasked with stopping Woundwort. Feeling empty and half-dead, Campion's will to live is returned thanks to the love of Blackberry. He finally settles with her on Watership Down.

Apparently he is killed in the rockslide that nearly killed Gen. Woundwort and he ends up killing Gen. Woundwort after the black rabbit saves him, but it doesn't say how. And didn't you say Blackberry was a male in the movie?

But if Campion betrays Gen. Woundwort, why would he have tried to save him? Or was he still torn between the two families?

I'm going to have to watch it sometime so I can find out myself, maybe tommorow, its getting late here (9:00 is late according to my parents on school days :rolleyes ).

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Campion did not kill woundwort, and blackberry was a male in the movie.

what you need to understand is that woundwort found and rose efrafa from it's weak state. He looked out for all of it's members and created a new system that gave everyone power in him. Anyone that was in the owsla looked up to woundwort and admired him, and even campion continued wide patrols after he died in the first book. The reason why so many rabbits in it were desperate was because he became too tight and violent. He was still a strategic person, but too power hungry. That's why it tore at campion. He looked up to woundwort like a leader, and it was against his nature to turn on him.

In retrospect I think campion was the only one that could have actually killed woundwort. Bigwig had his chance in the show, but due to it coming near an end they had to make some cuts.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
In the animated series, Campion sees that Woundwort's leadership is destroying Efrafa, but is torn between his feelings for the free ways of Watership Down and his loyalty to his chief rabbit. In the end, Campion turns against Woundwort to save his friend's warren, yet sacrifices himself to save Woundwort from a falling rock. Surviving miraculously but with terrible scars and losing an ear, Campion is touched by the Black Rabbit of InlÈ and is tasked with stopping Woundwort. Feeling empty and half-dead, Campion's will to live is returned thanks to the love of Blackberry. He finally settles with her on Watership Down.

I've just had a weird thought. What if Black Rabbit of Inle planned on Woundwort dying from that falling rock in cave, but because of Campion's intervention that didn't happen? Therefore BR had to employ a backup plan, so everything would end as he originally intended: Watership Down being safe, Woundwort dead and Campion being happy with Blackberry. Hmm... Maybe they should rename season 3 as "Watership Down: Final Destination"? :D

And considering what was the result of Campion's sacrifice in the long run, one could say it was a case of Nice Job Breaking It Hero. Then again Hazel was more responsible for "breaking it", because of him deciding to attack Efrafa when Woundwort had a change of heart.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Personally I don't think the black rabbit planned for anyone being happy, but had a problem with efrafa and woundwort period. It is interesting to bring up Campion intervening with the BL's plan of killing woundwort, considering BL resurrected him and tasked him with killing woundwort, maybe as a punishment? who knows. I always questioned why the BL hated woundwort so much. But I guess woundwort is just something special, having survived death like campion, but not by the black rabbit's er, paw..

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Who is your favourite secondary character from tv-series?
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I guess Woundwort, but I like Hazel as well. Woundwort isn't as simplistic as he was in the movie, and I like his depth, especially when he grew a bond with pipkin.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
By secondary character I meant the one who is a bit less important than main characters.

I agree. That episode with Pipkin and Woundwort showed that General is a villain with a heart. :)

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, I see. Well, that's hard to answer. I guess I liked captain moss. He showed signs of wanting to defect as well. I kinda like Vervain a little, if not for just how disgusting he is. All of these things work because they aren't entirely one dimensional.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
All of these things work because they aren't entirely one dimensional.

Yes. I remember Vervain saying "Shouldn't we warn them? Give them a fighting chance? They are rabbits after all..." when men was about to destroy Redstone Warren and Woundwort used that to get seer Silverweed from Cowslip.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, that was a good example of his softer side. I remember reading a fanfiction, I think from the starter of thankustars.com, where vervain was paired up with Hazel and bigwig. It was nice a portrayal of how that would turn out.

more questions? :)

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Heh. I remember it. He pretended to have some disease to scare off group of foxes. :D

Favourite episode/plot from series?

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm. I don't know... I think I like "Homecoming," especially the final four minutes or so. Would have to think about that.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Favourite quote from series?

Hmm... Does my questions become monothematic? :DD

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
No, i just think we're both really into watership. It's nice that you like it, i never got to talk about it in depth with some fans before because they didn't care

No quotes pop up in my favorite list. maybe there are some, but I guess they don't matter if I can't remember them.