The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Not a console player?! Everything on the PC gaming front is up for debate here!  ;)

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Aug 7 2007 on  08:40 PM
Not a console player?! Everything on the PC gaming front is up for debate here!  ;)
Well, I think a PC is for work and a console, like PS2 to play. I have only one game on my PC. Guild Wars Nightfall

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I guess I'll start something.

What would any of you like to see in a PC game? Personally I'd go for less First-Person Shooters, and better plots...possibly more interactivity between NPCs and the player. Minigames are (usually) pretty fun too.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ratiasu,Aug 9 2007 on  10:09 AM
I guess I'll start something.

What would any of you like to see in a PC game? Personally I'd go for less First-Person Shooters, and better plots...possibly more interactivity between NPCs and the player. Minigames are (usually) pretty fun too.
Old games, which are cult.^^

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I only played 2 PC games. The first-person shooter Halo and Zoo Tycoon (just to mess around with it). I am not a big fan of Real-Time Strategy games. I've tried to play one before but it got boring real quickly for me. I have never played a Massive Online Role Play before, and I might be willing to try one, but I dunno if I'll like it or not.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
hehe.  I've played ton's of computer games.  Only when I was much younger though.  I've played test drive off road 1,2,3,4, and 5 along with a bunch of other racing games.  I've played most of the games created from n64 and before on emulators.  I must say that no game brings me joy or excitement anymore like it used to.  I find it a little hard to stay awake when playing a game on a computer.  It just get's boring using that keyboard and mouse when ya should be using a controller. <_<

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't think it's "boring" to use a mouse and keyboard, but rather "frustrating" if you are used to a controller. You can buy controllers for the computer and use them instead of the mouse and keyboard. I have one, but it doesn't work. I got used to the mouse and keyboard through emulators and playing Halo. It's pretty easy to play Zoo Tycoon, in my opinion, as you only use the mouse and not the keyboard.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
A mouse can be a hastle, especially if it's a super sensitive one like mind, which will suddenly whip to the side of the screen without reason. I haven't played any multiplayer online games, though, mainly because most of them are subscription-based and who wants to pay to play a game? I certainly don't.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd go for less First-Person Shooters
The reason why there are so many FPSes on the PC is becuase with the mouse, your able to aim really quick, and accurate,while the dual analog steup on a controller, it takes a lot longer to aim. The only thing close to coming as good as a keyboard/mouse control is the Wii's motion control. I don't mind seeing a lot of FPSes on the PC and i'm eagerly waitng for Unreal Tournament 2007 to be realeased. i'm not a huge fan of real-time strategies though i enjoy playing Starcraft from time to time and i'm also going to get Starcraft II when it comes out in 2008.

It just get's boring using that keyboard and mouse when ya should be using a controller.
I find that the keyboard and mouse is one of the best for controls, with the ability of using hot keys to preform actions quicker. As for ROMs, i've been playing them for almost 5 years so i'm just as good, if not better, at playing SNES games with the keyboard then a controller.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Flathead770,Aug 9 2007 on  01:21 PM
I'd go for less First-Person Shooters
The reason why there are so many FPSes on the PC is becuase with the mouse, your able to aim really quick, and accurate,while the dual analog steup on a controller, it takes a lot longer to aim. The only thing close to coming as good as a keyboard/mouse control is the Wii's motion control. I don't mind seeing a lot of FPSes on the PC and i'm eagerly waitng for Unreal Tournament 2007 to be realeased. i'm not a huge fan of real-time strategies though i enjoy playing Starcraft from time to time and i'm also going to get Starcraft II when it comes out in 2008.

It just get's boring using that keyboard and mouse when ya should be using a controller.
I find that the keyboard and mouse is one of the best for controls, with the ability of using hot keys to preform actions quicker. As for ROMs, i've been playing them for almost 5 years so i'm just as good, if not better, at playing SNES games with the keyboard then a controller.
Once I had a steering wheel and pedals for my pc for the racing games. I made a lot of fun. But than it didn¥t worked any longer :(

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 9 2007 on  12:02 PM
hehe.  I've played ton's of computer games.  Only when I was much younger though.  I've played test drive off road 1,2,3,4, and 5 along with a bunch of other racing games.  I've played most of the games created from n64 and before on emulators.  I must say that no game brings me joy or excitement anymore like it used to.  I find it a little hard to stay awake when playing a game on a computer.  It just get's boring using that keyboard and mouse when ya should be using a controller. <_<
yeah, Test Drive is cool. I only had one of the Test Drive games. (I don¥t know which one). As I was jounger, the best racing game for me was Need for Speed II.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree with most of what you're saying, Flathead. :D  I find the keyboard/mouse combination so much more precise than a controller, not to mention much more flexible (a joystick has a maximum speed (100% tilt in a direction); a mouse (at least, a decent mouse)doesn't ;) )

I generally prefer PC to console for a few reasons:
1) PC offers higher-resolution graphics, making it easier to see the details of what's happening in the game.  For me, a perfect example is the Burnout series on the PS2.  This racing game is so fast-paced that you need to quickly identify the difference between a wall, sign, or sharp corner.  In the resolution of the PS2, I find this is not always possible.  For this reason alone, I would love to see a PC version of the Burnout games.  Probably not going to happen though :(

Quick facts:
Graphic resolution for consoles versus PC:
N64: 320x200 (without expansion pak "high-res" mode)
512x384 (in high-res mode with supported games)

PS2: 640x480
X-box: either 640x480 or 800x600 (not certain)
Gamecube: 640x480, I believe

Wii: 480i (720x480)
X-Box 360: 1080i (1920x1080 @ 25-30Hz)
PS3: 1080p (1920x1080 @50-60Hz) on compatible display/TV.

PC: 640x480 to 1080p(1920x1080 @ 50-60Hz) and beyond.

2) Better performance.  Console games, especially in the days of the n64, and even still on the PS3 and X-box 360 (the Wii seems pretty solid for performance), framerates got terrible as soon as the action got hot.  To me, this seems like a pretty lousy time to get poor performance from the game.  PCs allow for adjusting graphic options to fit the computer, allowing the player to get maximum performance from their computer.  Console players need to use the "Factory" graphic settings, which aren't always ideal for the console the game is being played on.  I know I've done my fair share of complaining about a game's performance on console, whereas on a PC I'll just change graphic settings until I get the balance of quality and performance that I like.  In single player, performance probably usually isn't  *too* bad.  Multiplayer is where this really tends to suffer.  Anyone who has played Perfect Dark in cooperative mode on the N64 knows what I mean :p  The PS3 also seems to suffer framerate issues in high-detail situations (less than the N64 but much more noticeable than on my PC).

3) The PC is able to support LAN play for many games, allowing greater flexibility for multiplayer gaming.  Many console games have fantastic multiplayer modes (Mario Party, Smash Bros, etc.) which work amazing as console games, and I don't care to see these sorts of games on the PC.  The games I feel suffer the greatest when playing on consoles are adventure games (the Gauntlet series; players can't travel much distance away from each other as they must all be visible on one screen), racing games (cutting the screen size and framerate for multiplayer can be painful at times) and shooter games (see racing games, but factor in the "trying to aim a gun with a joystick" factor :p  I can't shoot with a controller; I need a mouse LOL)
Console games: 4 players maximum
LAN gaming: Depending on the game, up to 64 players +

4) The PC generally allows more customiziability than similar console games.  With PC games, the online community may develop modifications for the game, expansion packs may be released, patches may solve problems that exist upon the game's release.  With consoles moving towards the online world this difference is being cut down, however many consoles require paid subscriptions on top of my existing Internet fees.  This just isn't ideal for me.  I would rather have access to game updates, mods and communities via my existing internet connection.

Bottom line:
If a game is released on consoles and PC, I will pick the PC version 99% of the time.  I must say though, I love being able to pull out a console with friends, provided it isn't a shooter game because I can't aim with a controller :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A mouse can be a hastle, especially if it's a super sensitive one like mind, which will suddenly whip to the side of the screen without reason.
Sounds like you have an optical mouse (with a red glowing light on the bottom). ;)

Depending on the surface the mouse is being used on, an optical mouse can be very reliable, or it can be practically useless.  The problem you are describing is probably not related to over-sensitivity.  In fact, it is probably the opposite.  The mouse is having trouble "reading" the surface it is moving over, causing it to interpret movements (or lack of movement) incorrectly.  This can result in exactly what you described; I have had optical mice do that in the past.

A few ideas to maybe help:
1) If you're using a mouse pad, try a different one or try going with no mouse pad at all.
2) If you're not using a mouse pad, try a couple of different pads and see if there is any improvement.
3) Glass is bad :p  If you're using the mouse on glass or any other uniform-looking surface (solid-coloured plastic or wood), the mouse may have trouble tracking it.  The mouse reads changes in the surface to track movement.  If there is no change, the mouse won't work.
4) Laser mice are good! :D  If you're willing to upgrade to a laser mouse, it will probably solve all of your problems.  I recently purchased a laser mouse and the difference is amazing.  They are extremely reliable.

If you don't want to switch to a laser mouse, try experimenting with different surfaces to run your mouse on.  Eventually perhaps you'll find one that is more reliable.  Fact of life though: optical mice aren't perfect.

I don't mind seeing a lot of FPSes on the PC and i'm eagerly waitng for Unreal Tournament 2007 to be realeased. i'm not a huge fan of real-time strategies though i enjoy playing Starcraft from time to time and i'm also going to get Starcraft II when it comes out in 2008.
:)
I'm looking forward to UT2007 (Unreal Tournament 3 I think they're calling it now) too!  I don't mind seeing FPS games on PC either; I just wish I had more friends who would be interested in LANning them with me.  I have 2 friends who will play FPS games with me...but it's hard to get a Battlefield 2 game going with 3 people :( (it supports up to 64 players)

RTS (Real-time strategy) games...well they're not for me.  I enjoy messing around with them with friends if my friends have as little skill in them as I do :p but I have a couple of friends who love playing Starcraft...who happen to be pretty good at it too.  Playing starcraft with them usually results in me trying not to be the first one to die :p It's not a very pleasant experience; I try to subject myself to it as little as possible. :P:

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Yeah, I like some PC games. Well, I can't download WoW, for some dumb reason. <_<

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I can't download WoW, for some dumb reason. 
When you say "Download", do you mean you can't install the game, or do you mean you can't download the patch?  Downloading the patch takes Forever (hours) and you may need to kill parts of your firewall for the download to work (it uses BitTorrent-style peer-to-peer for transferring the patch).

Downloading the actual game...I don't know if you can do that and get away with it :p.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm not into console games.  My love has been for PC games, though the biggest nagger is when computers get too new for the games you love and they no longer work (see Mortal Kombat which needed to run in DOS mode).

Games for the PC that I've loved/missed/still play:

Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat 3
Nascar Racing 99
Sierra Ultra 3D Pinball (both regular and Creep Night versions)
Nascar Racing 3
Hoyle Classic Card Games (some characters said really kooky things :p )
Brunswick Circuit Pro Bowling
Stepmania

Tim's correct about the specs....computers will win everytime.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I generally prefer console gaming over PC gaming, but there are times when I find PC gaming very "useful". I like console gaming mainly because of classics like Mario and Metroid (I rarely use emulators; it's not something I like to do on a regular basis), as well as the fact that I don't have to install anything on my computer and use up hard drive space. However, I also like PC gaming for the large amount of customization possibilities (mostly Need for Speed modifications). Also, it allows you to have a lot of saved games with games like SimCity [insert number]. I'm still mainly a console gamer, but I do prefer PC gaming every now and then.

Oh, and by the way, I hear that the PC version of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 whomps compared to the PlayStation 2 version. I don't know if this is true or not, since I only have the PC version and I think it's alright, but you know....

And, honestly, I couldn't care if a game like Super Mario 64 didn't look quite as good as a PC game as long as it played good. That goes for games like Super Metroid or most other console game, too.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
you heard about the game crysis? When it¥s there I want to buy it, it has a very cool grafic :^.^:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nimrod,Sep 19 2007 on  05:40 PM
you heard about the game crysis? When it¥s there I want to buy it, it has a very cool grafic :^.^:
The way you said that made me think that you were taking about buying the infamous video game crisis. I'm assuming you're talking about a video game named that. :DD