The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Looking to Buy A New Computer?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
There are many things to remember when buying a computer.  This is the absolute minimum you should get when getting a brand new computer:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/t...siccomputer.jpg Cost=$667

---

There are many things you have to consider.  First off, it MUST be able to support up to 4gb of ram.  This computer right here is absolutely useless!!!:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

It only has a maximum memory expansion of 2GB!  That's nothing!  Now, it is only $300, but when you add a decent monitor, it quickly jumps to over $600.  $600 down the toilet!  This is really wrong what these computer companies are doing.  For example, there's a compaq computer at walmart for $549 with 2gb of ram, and then there's an HP for $599 with 3gb of ram.  What they neglect to tell you is that the compaq one is maxed out! :angry: The one that's $50 more can be upgraded to 4gb while the other one is just stuck at the specs from the factory.  That $549 compaq that maxes out at 2gb should be $200.  That's how worthless it is.  In a year or so, 2gb will be what half a gig is now......just totally useless.  

---

The next thing you want to consider if you're buying a more expensive computer is if you want to have a 32 bit or 64 bit OS.  A 32 bit OS can only recognize a max of 3.5gb of ram, so 64 bit would be the way to go, however so many things are incompatible with 64 bit OSs even brand new!  It's a dilemma let me tell you.  I'm personally going to go 64 bit the next time I buy a laptop.

---

Another very important thing to consider is screen size.  With widescreen laptops, the difference between a 15" and a 17" monitor isn't that noticeable, but you'll sure notice it when you're trying to lug around the extra weight and balance that super huge laptop on a small table or something!  Go 15" unless you really want a big screen.  If you really need a big screen, go all the way and get a 19" or 21".  17" laptop screens are so stupid. <_<

---

Most importantly, don't just see your PC as a tool.  Remember that it WILL break.  Do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy an all-in-one PC.  They're super expensive and you're screwed when something goes wrong with them.  You have to rely on the computer company's crappy repair service that only lasts a year or so anyways.  Many of the all-in-one models cannot be serviced by everyday repair techs and must be repaired by other computers in the dell warehouse or whoever you bought it from.

---

Don't get shuttleX computers or small form factors!!!!!!  99% of them, even when you pay $1000 cannot handle more than 2gb of ram.

---

Make sure the DVD burner has dual layer support.  This isn't so much of an issue now, but some of the lower end computers still only have single-layer burners.

---

If you can go dual core, for Christs sake, do it!  A lot of the cheaper computers have something like this:

Included:  2.3ghz septeron processor
+$45:  Dual core Athlon64 X2 1.86ghz processor
+$119:  Dual core Athlon64 X2 2.2ghz processor
+$199:  Dual core Athlon64 X2 2.6ghz processor

I know you're gonna think "Now wait a minute.....the 1.86ghz processor is more money than the 2.3ghz processor! :blink: "  The thing is, dual core is the future.  I'm not going to explain dual core to you here, but trust me, just get the dual core processor.

---

Some computers that can handle 8gb of ram automatically come with Vista home premium 32 bit.  I don't know why.  If you get that, you'll just have to buy a new OS when you want to upgrade.  Get the 64 bit version.  It won't cost you any more, but some of the PC's automatically have that selected.  

---

The most important piece of advice I can give you is to look on cnet.com for reviews of the product you want to buy.  Just go to google and type in something like this:

Toshiba Satellite A215-S5829 cnet

You'll get the cnet reviews as the first result.  It's good to know what other people who have bought the computer think about it and cnet also writes a small review themselves.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think this might come of very good use when someone is going to buy a new computer :^.^: . Not going to do so myself in time, im satisfied with my old thingy, and want to save money. But if I do I'll ask your advise for sure  :lol  :^.^:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This will help many folks I can imagine.  If nothing else they'll have a bit more info then they did before.  Though a thing to be taken into consideration is what do you want to do with your pc.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Thanks, especially for info about 64-bit.  That's not well documented what will operate in a 64-bit system, and some may just check and say "more is better" when it really is not.