The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Windows Features Wishlist

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
What features do you think really NEED to be added to windows to make it better?  You can add on from windows XP or windows Vista.  It doesn't really matter since Vista has like no new features from XP aside from its new theme and the sidebar.  Anyway, here's my list:

--Trash WMP!  It's a horrible application!  It has no built-in codecs and when you play a DVD in it, even on new machines, it chops up and has a horrible picture!

--Better photo editing software.  Let's face it.....paint is so useless.  It wasn't too bad in 2001 when windows XP came out, but come on Microsoft!  That was almost 8 years ago!  Times have changed.

--Built-in support for rar files.  Not many still use zip folders.  We've moved on to the better and more flexible rar format.

--Remove the start menu.  It's useless.  Why not just have a button on the taskbar that opens a window and allows you to see everything that's in the start menu with descriptions and more detail?

--Forget the sidebar.  Microsoft, I know you tried, but no one likes it.  I like it, but most don't and its bad business to make what most people hate.

--Get a decent application for editing word documents and such.  Wordpad is so last decade.  It doesn't even have spell checking! :rolleyes:

--Put performance over visual appeal.  Seriously, Vista takes up like a billion times more than it needs to.  Make it look half as nice and twice as fast!

--Make a better msconfig dialog that most users can actually understand.

--Replace the shut down, stand by, and restart buttons with buttons on the keyboard.  No more software crap.

--No more UAC (user account control)!!!!!!!!  We don't want to be treated like criminals right out of the box!  Why can't I move a file when I'm an admin without confirming everything I do????!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

--ONE VERSION.  Seriously.  Vista home basic, home premium, ultimate, business, bloatware, diliujouer, aouerenkljn, aoudrlkjhg, sdfodusroewiujg, oausdrfding, sdolrudingdskn, asfoudrldshidgsidg!!!!!  Normal people don't understand that stuff!  Just make it easy!

--Don't force people to enter a product key EVER!  Why not just have activation?  Product keys are a pain in the butt!

--IE7 sucks!  Its 10 years behind the times and slow as H***!  Spend more time developing your software before you sh** it out your a$$ Microsoft!

--The OS needs to take up less space on the HD.  Seriously.  We don't want 20gb stolen off of our hard drives when we install the OS!

--Drop outlook express.  Storing email on your computer is so last decade!  No one with a brain uses that.  Just use gmail or another type of online email system.

--Screen zooming.  Seriously, mac made a really cool zooming feature.  Just make one for the PC.  Everyone has a scroll on their mouse.  It's a great feature!

That's all I can think of for now.  What do you want in the next version of windows?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
What I wouldn't mind seeing is something that comes installed that is better than Windows Movie Maker, even if it is for a small price.  Mac offers it.  Ditto for image editors.

Needless to say I don't agree with your assessment of "nobody stores email on their computers" and "the start menu should go away".  I must be last decade since I still do store email using Thunderbird, but that's only for my family account.  Certainly better than using Time Warner's webmail. :rolleyes:  The start menu has always worked for me, nice and sorted by name under programs lists.  Doesn't get much easier.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think people are beginning to realize how dangerous it is to keep their email stored on their PCs.  One crash and it's all gone.  It's just safer and easier to use a web based email service.

As for the start menu, it's just not big enough.  It's not like you can do other things while browsing the start menu, so why not just make it take up the entire screen?  I've never gotten that concept.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Likewise a google server crash/meltdown and I lose a lot (of much more important) email messages.  Crashes can happen to anyone.  Safest to do is backup the most important stuff, no matter whose server its on.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Google has over 15 dedicated servers, each of them over 5,000,000gb each (or 5000tb).  Only 3 of them are used for everyday data.  The others are for backup purposes only.  The chances of google losing its data..........like 1 in five billion.  The chances of you or anyone else crashing their computer...........much more likely.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
--Trash WMP! It's a horrible application! It has no built-in codecs and when you play a DVD in it, even on new machines, it chops up and has a horrible picture!

I personally love WMP and believe that it should stay. I don't notice any "chop ups" and the picture is great, in my opinion. I personally enjoy it far better than the other media player I have, VLC. For example, VLC has no playlist and when you want to skip ahead in a video, there's a delay in the picture. No such problem with WMP.

--Better photo editing software. Let's face it.....paint is so useless. It wasn't too bad in 2001 when windows XP came out, but come on Microsoft! That was almost 8 years ago! Times have changed.

I would rather they keep Paint. Simple program, but I like it. I still use it today for editting reasons as well as putting two pics together. It's more complicated in other programs. That's what I like about Paint. It's simplicity.

--Remove the start menu. It's useless. Why not just have a button on the taskbar that opens a window and allows you to see everything that's in the start menu with descriptions and more detail?

I do like the Start Menu to be honest. I don't think it should go.

--Forget the sidebar. Microsoft, I know you tried, but no one likes it. I like it, but most don't and its bad business to make what most people hate.

What side bar?

--Replace the shut down, stand by, and restart buttons with buttons on the keyboard. No more software crap.

I prefer having those options on the computer. It would be too awkward to have them on the keyboard.

--Screen zooming. Seriously, mac made a really cool zooming feature. Just make one for the PC. Everyone has a scroll on their mouse. It's a great feature!

I wouldn't really care for this. I don't see any use for this, no offense or anything. Just not my preference.

EDIT: Is it just me or are the quotes..not in quotes?  :blink:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, the quotes aren't coming up as quotes. :blink:

The main fact of the matter is that not many still use the default windows apps because there are other freeware apps that are a billion times better out there.  Paint is too primitive.  I can respect your desire for this, but perhaps they could just have a button on top of the window in paint that you can click for "easy" or "advanced" mode.  Still keep its simplisticness but have more advanced options for more advanced users.

As for WMP, it seriously needs to be slimmed down.  CPU usage goes way up and it's just not as efficient playing movies as other freeware media playing applications.  This is not an opinion, it's a fact.  I like WMP, but it's just too big and bulky to be very useful.

Sidebar........that's only in vista.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 4 2008 on  08:03 PM
Yeah, the quotes aren't coming up as quotes. :blink:

The main fact of the matter is that not many still use the default windows apps because there are other freeware apps that are a billion times better out there.  Paint is too primitive.  I can respect your desire for this, but perhaps they could just have a button on top of the window in paint that you can click for "easy" or "advanced" mode.  Still keep its simplisticness but have more advanced options for more advanced users.

As for WMP, it seriously needs to be slimmed down.  CPU usage goes way up and it's just not as efficient playing movies as other freeware media playing applications.  This is not an opinion, it's a fact.  I like WMP, but it's just too big and bulky to be very useful.

Sidebar........that's only in vista.
I wonder why they aren't showing up as quotes.  :blink: Did I make a mistake in the code or something?

I wouldn't mind seeing an "advanced Paint", although I wouldn't care if they don't create such a program. Of course, I did find it a little odd that Paint hadn't "evolved", so-to-speak, while other aspects were.

Oh I see. Yeah, sometimes I notice that little problem with CPU with WMP. I still like to use the program though. Before I used another program called Winamp but stopped using it after it got too complicated with the playlist.

Oh, Vista. Okay. That explains why I don't know what it is. ^^;

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah, a new thing I think they should include in the next version is 32 bit support.  I don't know why they're not pushing 64 bit.  They should but they aren't so the world isn't ready for it yet.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Probably quote should be in capital letters.. like QUOTE. anyway, I'm no good with thinking of new features! :)

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Heh, neither am I.  I think Windows XP is okay the way it is, personally.  I'm satisfied with it... :)
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 4 2008 on  02:46 AM
--IE7 sucks!  Its 10 years behind the times and slow as H***!  Spend more time developing your software before you sh** it out your a$$ Microsoft!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!

Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 4 2008 on  02:46 AM
--Trash WMP!  It's a horrible application!  It has no built-in codecs and when you play a DVD in it, even on new machines, it chops up and has a horrible picture!

It could use more built-in codecs, but it's not a bad player. I use it almost all the time, only switching to VLC for incompatible formats, and it's pretty good. DVDs play just fine. I only ever had problems when I tried to fullscreen on my old monitor, which supported 2048 x 1536, which would cause the video to slowly lag behind the audio.