The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ichy and Dil's language

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
So, I'm new on here, and I don't know if this subject has been approached before. Sincerest apologies if it has, but anyway, here goes:

In the LBT universe, there are quite a few languages, the two most prominent of course being the flattooth language and the sharptooth language. As the leaf-eaters are the protagonistic creatures, their language is heard as English (or some other human language) to the viewer whereas the sharptooth language is generally growls and roars. Occasionally, we get subtitles for their language.

But, Ichy and Dil are honourary sharpteeth, yes? What puzzles me is how they are heard speaking English. Of course, like Chomper, they may have simply learnt the language, perhaps to understand their prey better and work out clever ways to hunt them by knowing what they're thinking. But then this begs the question why they comunicate to each other in flattooth tounge. Considering its the langauge of their prey, its not exactly the most dignified way of speaking. Ichy even referred to Littlefoot and the others as 'animals' when they were throwing rocks at them. Then again, if you're pinned with the most unlikely partner for survival, dignity isn't always your top priority.  :lol

The only other explanation I can think of is this: Ichy and Dil were speaking the sharptooth language, and in this case it was directly translated into English, as supposed to just using subtitles. But then again, Ichy was seen replying to what Littlefoot was saying about getting back home by, 'The only place you're going is the inside of our stomachs!'

Sooooooo...I dunno. Its over to you. What do you think?

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I kind of imagine that it might also be that the perceptive Ichy had learnt the language in his thieverish conquests (especially since the longnecks were leaving, this would change things), and eventually found Dil, who though at first didn't know the language, since becoming disabled, decided to learn it. Maybe to better communicate, because the sharptooth language doesn't sound too advanced. Who knows!

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Perhaps. I mean, if they had picked up on that language and were using it frequently, it could have ended being something that's natrual to them, and something that was then used all the time.
Like, on the TV episode, The Lonely Journey, Chomper seems to have forgotten his native language himself... :bang
No wonder those sharpteeth didn't want to be friends with him, they couldn't understand a word he was saying!

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Subtitles don't just cut it though. It's a shame we never saw the sharpteeth language being directly translated on-screen, with the flattooth language reduced to a series of grunts and bellows.
The tables will have turned... :lol  :lol

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think they speak the language of the flattooth because everyone should understand them,I mean...they talk a lot so it would be kind of weird,if they are talking sharpteeth language the whole time...there must be a lot of subtitles in this case ! Besides the song of them(I guess it's who needs you) wouldn't exist either ;) BTW: is there someone,who wants to hear the song in sharpteeth language? That would be funny I presume :D
Inactive, probably forever.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
They would have HAD to be speaking the flattooth language for you to understand them like you can.

It could have been more of a design choice too. Having villains with actual voice acting set them apart somewhat from the more samey old sharpteeth villains in most of the other sequels.

At that point, after they had made the 2nd movie with voice acting villains (Ozzy and Strut), and movie 3 with voice acting antagonists (I don't think Hyp's gang were villains really, but definitely antagonists.) They were probably quickly running out of ideas for villians that would actually speak leaf-eater. Notice how movies 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 didn't have ANY villains with speaking roles.

They were probably kinda stretching the rules for their own universe a bit by having a flattooth speaking belly dragger and meat-eating bird just so they could have more interesting villains.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well, it definitley seems to be a phenomenon that denies in-universe exlanation...
Though there's nothing wrong with talking antagonists; random sharpteeth popping up all over the place is starting to seriously get old...
What type of animal do you guys think would create an ideal antagonist?

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dosu2Dinner,Jan 8 2013 on  11:57 AM
Well, it definitley seems to be a phenomenon that denies in-universe exlanation...
Though there's nothing wrong with talking antagonists; random sharpteeth popping up all over the place is starting to seriously get old...
I wouldn't know for a fact, it could even be a leaf-eater; perhaps some creature that feels the longnecks or residents of great valley are to blame for its herd, self, or family (hey, a new morale idea for LBT XD)?

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ludichris1,Jan 8 2013 on  12:52 PM
Quote from: Dosu2Dinner,Jan 8 2013 on  11:57 AM
I wouldn't know for a fact, it could even be a leaf-eater; perhaps some creature that feels the longnecks or residents of great valley are to blame for its herd, self, or family (hey, a new morale idea for LBT XD)?
 :smile Why not? Having a leaf-eater antagonist would certainly turn the tables a bit...even the good sharpteeth have to fight other sharpteeth. Let's have something a little different...
Though I still like my idea of an evil rainbow face...

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've been developing 2 OC LBT villains for awhile now for a fanfiction idea I might write someday.

It's of a female threehorn villain and a young leaf eater speaking male fast biter villain that leads his own pack. Basically their story is that the threehorn found the fast biter when he was still young. The threehorn character was looking for allies, so she kind of forced the young fast biter to stay with her, and learn the leaf eater language. Later on, the fast biter get's his own pack, and the threehorn uses deception to lure herds into traps to get them killed and eaten by the sharpteeth. The fast biters don't try to attack the threehorn out of fear, as all past attempts have ended very badly for the fast biter involved.

I'm still working on the idea, but I think it could make for a great pair of villains. what do you think?
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Jan 8 2013 on  02:17 PM
I'm still working on the idea, but I think it could make for a great pair of villains. what do you think?
 :smile Yeah, sounds good! I look forward to seeing the fanfic when it's written...
I'm busy developing ideas of sorts myself, in terms of OCs, OC villlains and stuff...haven't written anything yet, but stay tuned!

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dosu2Dinner,Jan 8 2013 on  10:57 AM
Bothtooth, without a doubt.  The omnivore who could eat Leaf Eater food and speak Leaf Eater language but also would secretly be thirsty for some blood.   :smile

Also, another nice antagonist idea would be whoever may have been responsible for wiping out most of Littlefoot's herd before the first film began.  It could be a very evil Sharptooth or even a wicked Leaf Eater who just wanted the Longnecks dead so he could have more of the dwindling green food out there for himself.  

Also, if I didn't love him too much, Chomper himself would make the most ideal antagonist as

1.) He knows Leaf Eater.
2.)  He has shown himself capable of cornering prey as he's done it in both films II and V.  (In fact, he's the only Sharptooth I think that really had the entire Gang of Five cornered and expecting to die all at one time.  Other Sharpteeth might have cornered some members of the Gang of Five but not all of them at once.)  
3.)  He knows the layout of the Great Valley (few Sharpteeth can boast of that)
4.) He could well have the Gang's scent.
5.) The Gang of Five trusts him and he easily use that for sinister purposes if he wanted to to make a nice big meal.
6.) He appears to be pretty bright, although naive.  
7.) His abilities when he is older would make him a threat to the Gang of Five, particularly if his abilities matched that of the villain from the first movie.

As for Dil and Ichy talking, I hope they meet Chomper someday.  I'd love to hear what conversations they'd have.

As for my Bothtooth villain idea, as others are on this rabbit trail already, he'd pose as a Leaf Eater, misdirect most of them, and then use Sharptooth minions to get any stragglers and enjoy some of the meat.  

He'd have been responsible for the death of Littlefoot's mother, would kill the leader of Tippy's herd, and also be responsible for the death of the Old One.  He'd also try and murder Ruby and Ali.  The villain would be especially evil as, though he probably didn't intend it, he got Littlefoot banished for life from the Great Valley and had put Chomper in a bind where he had to kill the Old One to save his lover from being killed by the Old One.   Littlefoot had helped some grownups from apprehending Chomper, and hence got banished for helping, as most believed, a murderous and treacherous Sharptooth escape justice.  

The villain would send out assassins to try and whack Littlefoot, Chomper, and Chomper's girlfriend Andromeda.  

Eventually, the Gang of Seven and their dates would all find out the villain's true leanings, with Chomper and Andromeda being the first to catch on sometime before all the others.  However, they'd all escape from him and then the villain, having found that the Great Valley was awoken by Chomper's girlfriend, would try and say she was lying about him being bad and then would say that she and Chomper were plotting to murder the Great Valley and that the Gang of Five and their dates, plus Ruby, had joined forces with them and then demand that he be allowed to execute the heroes for "high treason".

Also, the villain would be a huge speciest, though secretly he'd hate all kinds except Bothteeth.  He'd also be going around trying to keep Leaf Eater herds from being too friendly, preaching speceism and posing at various times as both a Sharptooth and a Flattooth.  He'd also be causing similar stuff among the Egg Stealers.

Eventually, he'd apply his tactics to the Great Valley and get the herds to stop being the  Combined Herd and now be various feuding bickering herds and this speceism would even pull Ali, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike apart as they'd bicker too.