The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Most sad moment in a sequel?

Salvatore Blackheart

• Chomper
    • View Profile
LBT II: When littlefoot say goodbye chomper.

LBT IV:the possible Grandpa longneck's death.

LBT V: "Always There" and the scene when Cera discriminates Chomper and make him cry. :cry

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Its surprising how many there are for me:

II: Littlefoot and Chomper saying goodbye. It wasn't particularly sad, but definitely was the closest thing. Emotional, well performed, and with the perfect soundtrack.

V: Always There- First LBT moment to genuinely make me cry since Littlefoot's Mother in the original. Mostly quite sad, topped off by Littlefoot's solo. because you think it would be about his grandparents, and then it sort of hits you that he's referring to his mother for the first time since the original.

VI: When You're On Your Own always gets to me a bit, especially the "When you're on your own/ you have be the grown-up" bit. Just the sudden change in mood, from thinking that being on his own was exciting and adventurous, to thinking that it's lonely and harsh. Particularly because being a bit of a loner makes me think such things sometimes.

VIII: Contrary to what many people say, it's not the Family song. It's the little dialogue-less montage of Spike and Ducky slowly growing apart. I dunno why, but speechless montages always get to me in films. Personally, I blame the first 15 minutes of UP.

IX: No One has To be Alone. Oh man, this song always gets to me. Just the opening, with Mo and Littlefoot quietly enjoying a moment, and Littlefoot realising the meaning behind his grandpa's words. Plus, I dunno why, but the "There is so much more to everything/ than we can ever know" bit always gives me a big shiver, which I take as a sign of power and atmosphere in a song.

X: That brief shot of Littlefoot brooding on the ledge before Bron talks to him. The combination of the image of Littlefoot possibly sadder than he's been since the original, plus the twinkly Ghibli-style piano music. Part of me wants this shot to be longer, while the other half reminds me that this could cause Littlefoot to look angsty.
Also, the Bestest Friends song. Like LBTfan said, if I didn't know that there were 3 more sequels, I would be very emotional and into this scene.
Also, that brief shot of Petrie apparently being swallowed by the belly-dragger. Not exactly sad, but first time I saw it, I got a real "......oh my god!" reaction from it.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Bestest Friends" would be the moment for me. Honestly felt teary-eyed listening to that one, especially because the first time I saw it, there weren't any further sequels, and I had been thinking that 10 is a perfect number to wrap up on.

Bruton the Iguanodon

LBT V - "Always There" is such a tear jerker. It is the most heart warming song out of all the sequels, and for good reason. Most people say that Littlefoot's part is the strongest part, but in all honesty I believe the entire song is of equal strength.
Minus Petrie (which I always found confusing that he didn't sing anything), all of the characters reflect on how their parents comfort them in the worst of times.

I'm really glad you love the whole song and not just Littlefoot's part. But as for why Petrie didn't sing anything, I'd be happy to explain my theory. You see, the whole song is sung in narrative by the characters, and with Petrie's rather...unusuall grammer, that would sound very odd. And his voice, as we saw in "One of a kind", takes an aquired taste, and would have sounded odd and out of place, too. I love Mama Flyer and would have loved to hear how she comforted Petrie, and the fact that we don't see him remembering her is kind of sad, but hey, at least the first thing he does when back on the mainland is fly to her. If this hypothetical explanation helps, just let me know.

Anyways, as for me, I was nearly in tears for the last 5 minutes of movie 9---good tears, of course!!!

And it was really sad in LBT 6 is when they're walking home at the end of the day; Littlefoot said, "Me ad my big mouth" ad Ducky says "Do ot feel bad, Littlefoot" ad Petrie says "It just...bad luck" and Littlefoot suddely stops and watches them all walk off as Ducky's voice trails, "Just like you're Grampa said it would be. First we had bad luck, the the whole great valley will have bad luck, ad then maybe the whole diosaur world will have bad luck...and then maybe even the whole universe will have bad luck!" And they just walk off and leave Littlefoot standing there...it's so sad, espicialy with the music that plays. And then the scene fades to black and BAM!! Probably the scariest part of the whole film series strikes. Just the suddeness of it after the peaceful serenity of the last scene is enough to make you jolt---like a hidden track blasting loud music at the end of an album, after the last listed track was something really soft and beautiful.

And also I felt really bad for Spike and Ducky...I've said this too many times to say it again.

Also when Grandma and Grampa look at each other in 10 and Grandma cries. When Grandpa nuzzles Littlefoot, and Grandma nuzzles Littlefoot and cries.

The blaming Littlefoot, and then the crying fiesta is 11. That wasn't just sad; it was so overdone it was almost funny.

Grandma's creepy tears at the end of the song in 4, and when it looked like Grandpa was gonna die.

When Grandma shed a few tears after comfortig Grandpa in 5.

Bruton the Iguanodon

"Bestest Friends" would be the moment for me. Honestly felt teary-eyed listening to that one, especially because the first time I saw it, there weren't any further sequels, and I had been thinking that 10 is a perfect number to wrap up on.

...I thought 9 would have been the perfect ending to the series, what with the similarities to 1 and the really beautiful ending... :neutral  ...but everyone here except me likes 10 too much to even consider that.   :cry

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Easy, Bruton. Don't be so generalising. Nobody is bashing 9, nor raising 10 into heaven.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Thanks for reassuring me...It's just I really think 9 had a beautiful ending and was the perfect note to wrap the series up on, and don't like the idea of it being overshadowed by 10, which, I thought was in contrast overdone and felt more of something trying to recreate the beauty 9 had given us, rather then be something of it's own. So if there are people who agree with me that 9 had a beautiful ending and felt like a good way to end the series, I'm very touched that there are people out there who feel the same way. If people don't feel either way about 9 and 10 I'm fine. But if everyone feels like 10 should have been the end and no one cares about 9, I'll have to live with the fat that I stand alone, and as such I'll continue stand proud on my own opinion.  ;)

Most people say that Littlefoot's part is the strongest part, but in all honesty I believe the entire song is of equal strength.
Minus Petrie (which I always found confusing that he didn't sing anything), all of the characters reflect on how their parents comfort them in the worst of times.

Anyways did anyone find my explanation for why Petrie didn't sing anything logical? Or was it lame?

Tikikata

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.strawberrytiki.net
I just finished movie eight, and the part where Spike leaves was a real tearjerker for me. I never expected to cry as much as I did when he left.

Same thing happened in movie two when Littlefoot said goodbye to Chomper and when Littlefoot thought he was going to lose his grandpa in movie four.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I thought the flash back of Bron leaving little foot was very sad.

Bruton the Iguanodon

The whole ending to 9 was a good kind of sad. I really hope what you say is true, jansenov; it seems like everybody considers LBT 10 as being "the one that should have wrapped up the series" and don't even give 9 a moment's thought, which greatly saddens me cause 9 had a beautiful ending and I think it was wrong of universal to try to do something that would supposedly "top it", which they shouldn't of; take 4, for instance. It came after the amazing 3, but wasn't trying to be a repetition of the truly incredible 3; and heck, as a result it turned out better!

LBT V: "Always There" and the scene when Cera discriminates Chomper and make him cry. dino_sad.gif

Easy...she was just telling Littlefoot to watch out---it was a misunderstanding, she didn't really mean to discriminate him; it was Chomper who was overly sensitive

Bruton the Iguanodon

...I thought 9 would have been the perfect ending to the series, what with the similarities to 1 and the really beautiful ending... ...but everyone here except me likes 10 too much to even consider that.

I really want people to think about this. Pretend they have no knowledge of 10-13 or the tv series existing. Wouldn't 9 make a beautiful, perfect ending? Or am I the only one who thinks so?

LBT V - "Always There" is such a tear jerker. It is the most heart warming song out of all the sequels, and for good reason. Most people say that Littlefoot's part is the strongest part, but in all honesty I believe the entire song is of equal strength.

Will someone please give their opinions to why he doesn't sing anything? I do have mine but it feels sort of stupid now cause someone apparently can't figure it out...

Bruton the Iguanodon

The gang's second farewell with Chomper really didn't hit me as much as it did to others, because I really didn't feel the same emotion that I did in LBT II. Call me crazy, but I just wasn't really saddened by it at all.

I don't think you're crazy. I didn't find it that sad. I'd call people who consider it tearjerking crazy before I'd call someone who just considered it a beautiful moment (like you) crazy.

When I first saw this movie, I really believed that Littlefoot was going to leave the valley and join Bron's herd. This could have been the end of the LBT franchise right there, and it would have been an emotional ending (at least in my opinion).

Why is it no one ever considers that 9 could have been the ending?! It would have been a really beautiful ending to the series, espicially with all the similarities to the origina, but no one cares!!! :cry

When he tells his grandparents that he isn't leaving, their reaction is also quite powerful coupled with the great music arrangement. One thing I was always bummed about is why we didn't get to see Littlefoot's friends' reaction to his decision. I mean sure they sang about how they would support him no matter what, I think it would have made more of an impact if we saw their reaction as well

We should have seen their reaction to him finding out he had a dad in the first place...he didn't tell them

IX: No One has To be Alone. Oh man, this song always gets to me. Just the opening, with Mo and Littlefoot quietly enjoying a moment, and Littlefoot realising the meaning behind his grandpa's words. Plus, I dunno why, but the "There is so much more to everything/ than we can ever know" bit always gives me a big shiver, which I take as a sign of power and atmosphere in a song.

It's not a sad song, though. Just really beautiful.   ;)

Bruton the Iguanodon

X: That brief shot of Littlefoot brooding on the ledge before Bron talks to him. The combination of the image of Littlefoot possibly sadder than he's been since the original, plus the twinkly Ghibli-style piano music. Part of me wants this shot to be longer, while the other half reminds me that this could cause Littlefoot to look angsty.

It didn't need to be longer, but I know what you mean. Personally I wish the scene in movie 1 where Littlefoot's mom dies was longer....heck, I've got a topic on it I'm so angry about it being short!  :anger

And if anyone complains that that isn't really sad per standards, then do realize that nothing compares to what happened in the original film, and probably, nothing else ever will.

Probably...but not definitely. Don't say never. I consider it bad luck.

Of course, I was just as rejoiced when [Mo] was found alive. Of course, it was sad seeing such a good guest charcter go. You have NO idea how much I miss seeing him in LBT. He's my #1 guest charcter.

Mine, too.  ;)

Bruton the Iguanodon

But that wasn't a sad moment! I can understand if it touched you, and it made you cry you were so touched...but sad? Well, why? I didn't find it sad. Very touching, yes, and tear jerking in a good kinda way, but sad?  :huh:

I'm sorry, but I don't want someone to ruin how I feel about 9 by turning it into something it isn't.

People always think "Bestest Friends" as something really sad, too, but if you watch it you'll see it's actually a pretty positive song.  :exactly  It's afterwards where the Grandmas sobbing thats sad.  :(

Bruton the Iguanodon

But really, Allicloud, I want to know why you think that song is sad, because this topic is for things that are tearjerking in a negative way. I can understand it getting to you, if it was in a positive way.

I thought the flash back of Bron leaving little foot was very sad.

There wasn't a flashback of him leaving Littlefoot; that was Littlefoot's mom---his wife! Littlefoot hadn't even been...uh, laid, yet.

When they sing "Bestest Friends" Oh come on! That was so sad and showed how close the gang are.

As I said before, for all people make of it, it's really actualy a pretty positive song. I can't see it having that emotional effect on small children, really.

When I first saw this movie, I really believed that Littlefoot was going to leave the valley and join Bron's herd. This could have been the end of the LBT franchise right there, and it would have been an emotional ending (at least in my opinion).

Anyone but me still thinking 9 would have made a much better ending?  :unsure:

Bruton the Iguanodon

Alicloud, I know I've said this before, but I want to ask: is it a good, positive kind of sad which feel when you watch this scene, or are you turning this beautiful song into something sad and negavite by putting it on the sad list here when it is really something beautiful and positive? You said it gives you a big shiver, but does it not make you feel warm and happy as well?

If this the way you feel, I accept that, but I just want to know why you feel this way about something that wasn't supposed to give that impression.

If it made you feel sad in a good, positive way, I completely understand. This, along with much of the rest of the end of 9 in general, made me feel that way, too---so beautiful I was close to tears.

Maybe I'm just overreacting and misinterpreting what you said, and I just need some affirmation that it was not a bad kind of sad. But if it was, tell Littlefoot, Mo and the rest that that moment made you feel sad and gave a shiver, and they'll tell you how it really felt. And if that doesn't convince ya, I don't know what will.

I think it's kinda sad when Ali leaves; the echoing of her saying "Maybe we'll all live together someday..." kinda gets me. But what's really sad is when you think about what Ali will be like the next time they all meet.

And whta the series will have gone through:Chomper's parents having subtitles,\ Ducky and Spike going through hornet hell and back, Nasty drop in animation quality, and hoo boy, did it fly off the rails after 9: Littlefoot having a father?! Ducky Spike and Petrie bawling their eyes out? tinysaureses?!!!

No, we can't possibly live with those things.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Why do you consider it negative? Oh course it gets to me too, but ina negative way?

But anyways i love it!  ;)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
They didn't say it gets to them in a negative way, though. What makes you interpret that comment as them thinking the song effected them negatively?

Bruton the Iguanodon

By not really including anything positive in it, and it being in a topic called "most sad moment ina sequel"