The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Favorite Sequel

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Apr 30 2011 on  08:51 PM
At first, I was going to pick 5, just because Chomper was in it, but he made up such a small part of the movie. He was only in the last third or so of it, and I really didn't like the first half of the movie. This is the same way with 2. I loved the second half with Chomper in it, but the first half wasn't that great.

I finally decided on 7. It had Pterano in it (Probably my second or third favorite character now. some Pterano fans on here have helped me see the light. :lol ) He's a great tragic hero, and so complicated and intricate. I also loved the mysterious rainbowfaces in it. Some people hated them, because they didn't like the idea of aliens in LBT, but it sounded like a great idea to me. It was handled very well in the way the rainbowfaces never really revealed anything about themselves, and I loved the talk they had at the end with Littlefoot (It's why I did a talk like that when they came up in my fanfiction :DD ).

So yeah, I think 7 was the best sequel.
Why dont you like the first half of 5? If it wasnt for the second half, which I really didn't like, it.would be my favorite sequel.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Huh, no one ever voted for 13.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 11 2015 on  08:32 PM
Huh, no one ever voted for 13.
As far as I'm concerned, it does not deserve a single vote.  To this day I still fully believe it was created to kill the franchise.  I stand by that despite the fact I have no evidence.

Oh, and if you're wondering, I voted for 9.  Had a well thought out plot and not one song (at least in my mind) sucked.  Plus, it has my favorite side character, Mo, and has a sharptooth that is legitimately scary.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Hmm. I agree that it does not deserve a single vote, but I don't know about it intentionally being made to ruin the franchise.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Oct 11 2015 on  06:10 PM
Quote from: vonboy,Apr 30 2011 on  08:51 PM
At first, I was going to pick 5, just because Chomper was in it, but he made up such a small part of the movie. He was only in the last third or so of it, and I really didn't like the first half of the movie. This is the same way with 2. I loved the second half with Chomper in it, but the first half wasn't that great.

I finally decided on 7. It had Pterano in it (Probably my second or third favorite character now. some Pterano fans on here have helped me see the light. :lol ) He's a great tragic hero, and so complicated and intricate. I also loved the mysterious rainbowfaces in it. Some people hated them, because they didn't like the idea of aliens in LBT, but it sounded like a great idea to me. It was handled very well in the way the rainbowfaces never really revealed anything about themselves, and I loved the talk they had at the end with Littlefoot (It's why I did a talk like that when they came up in my fanfiction :DD ).

So yeah, I think 7 was the best sequel.
Why dont you like the first half of 5? If it wasnt for the second half, which I really didn't like, it.would be my favorite sequel.
Hey Bruton, I'm gonna assume you want vonboy to answer this but I know him good enough to have a good guess why he liked the second half better.

Personally, I do agree that the first part of the movie (which was not done by Grosvenor if I'm not mistaken...) was in many ways darker and better. Vonboy though probably likes the second half better because Chomper, his favourite character, only appears late in the movie. Just a guess of mine ;)

Anyway, while I'm here waiting for the prof to start the course I'm attending right now I might as well add my own two cents to the thread :p

My favourite sequel is not one of the more popular choices around here (don't worry, it's not LBT 13 :p). I voted for LBT 8 for a few reasons. LBT 8 actually has a similar feeling of nostalgia to me to the first movie because I've seen it so many times in my childhood. Besides, Ducky is the main character of that movie :D
The snow is a really cool idea of the producers. I really like snow :p Also, the soundtrack is lovely and I really love the snow themes of LBT 8.
Thicknose is a really cool character and he certainly has some funny moments too. Tippy is a bit annoying but just the perfect friend for a mute/disabled Spiketail ;)
I also like 3, 4 (that one is my second favourite), 7 & 12.

Inactive, probably forever.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
For me I voted LBT 4.
It's the one film I have the least issues with, has a good guest character Ali who I think is really underrated and deserves a much better return then that crappy one in the TV show. Also has a bit of an edge to it what with grandpa long neck becoming deathly ill. Also has my favourite LBT song It takes all sorts. In fact it's the last film were I actually enjoy the songs until LBT 7 (another favourite sequel as well as 12)  And to me, LBT 4 has very little of that OTT cartoony silliness that all the later sequels have....
I also like the background music in this sequel, and it reuses some of my favourite parts of the 1st movie's soundtrack.
And on a sad note well for me personally. Its the last film were I get to hear Cera with a fitting real kids voice, and say her cute "Hee" catchphrase... Also LBT4 was the last film Cera's original VA ever did according to her IMDB.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Dalekdino basically took the words out of my mouth. I also voted for 4, it was the one movie that really got me into TLBT franchise. I first watched it around Christmas in 1997 when it first aired on our national TV channel. It was dubbed in European Portuguese, and I managed to tape it back then because I wasn't going to be at home when it aired.

It turned out to be one of the best decisions ever, since the DVD and VHS versions of all the sequels, including the original film, are all dubbed in Brazilian Portuguese, and the songs just aren't as good.

I've worn out my VHS tape of TLBT 4 and a few years back I've managed to copy it into a DVD so it's still safe and I watch it every time I get a chance to.

The introduction of Ali, and the promise of her return was one of the things that got me hooked on the later sequels, even though I stopped paying much attention to them after 7. I did watch and own all TLBT DVDs, including the TV Series, but I guess my favorite sequels have to be 4, followed by 2, 7, and 5, tying in with 9, 10 and 12.

If you're curious about how It Takes All Sorts and Grandma's Lullaby sound in portuguese you can check them out on my blog: It Takes All Sorts Grandma's Lullaby
Grandma's Lullaby
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dalekdino,Oct 13 2015 on  06:25 AM
For me I voted LBT 4.
It's the one film I have the least issues with, has a good guest character Ali who I think is really underrated and deserves a much better return then that crappy one in the TV show. Also has a bit of an edge to it what with grandpa long neck becoming deathly ill. Also has my favourite LBT song It takes all sorts. In fact it's the last film were I actually enjoy the songs until LBT 7 (another favourite sequel as well as 12)  And to me, LBT 4 has very little of that OTT cartoony silliness that all the later sequels have....
I also like the background music in this sequel, and it reuses some of my favourite parts of the 1st movie's soundtrack.
And on a sad note well for me personally. Its the last film were I get to hear Cera with a fitting real kids voice... Also LBT4 was the last film Cera's original VA ever did according to her IMDB.
I assume that might have something to do with why RAS left. It definitely seems like he prefered a mix of dark and light in the films, while Grovsner was more into trying different and bizarre stuff.

Still, 7 feels closer to the tone of 3 and 4 and 2 feels closer to the tone of 6 and 8-12. So they can both do things better or worse. On the other hand, I don't want to see whoever directed 13 near the franchise ever again.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Oct 13 2015 on  01:19 PM
On the other hand, I don't want to see whoever directed 13 near the franchise ever again.
In that case, you'd want to point the finger at Jamie Mitchell.  He was the main one.  Charles Grosvenor was Supervising Director.  You'd think that, given Grosvenor's track record on the previous ones, he'd do a better job at it.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Quote from: NewOrder,Oct 13 2015 on  05:22 PM

If you're curious about how It Takes All Sorts and Grandma's Lullaby sound in portuguese you can check them out on my blog: It Takes All Sorts Grandma's Lullaby
Grandma's Lullaby
(I know this is off topic but anyway) I checked out the EURO Portuguese version of it takes all sorts, and I will say it wasn't all that bad, in fact I wanted to rip it but it wouldn't work on any rip site:(. Better then the Brazilian version , Yeah I did some research on youtube, and god that version was bad.. I couldn't tell if Littlefoot was voiced by a man or a woman and the way he sung was silly, Cera sounded way too cartoony and silly and Ducky's Brazilian voice was too deep and sounded older then Cera.

In fact the only other dubbed version of It takes all sorts I like is the German.

Every other dub of that song I've heard I have issues with. E.G. In the French dub Cera sounds like a boy, in the Finnish dub Ali is clearly voiced by a grown woman while Cera and Ducky have real kid VAs and the difference between the 2 voices is  painfully obvious, in the Russian dub Ali, Littlefoot , Cera and Ducky all sound the same, the VA wasn't even trying to sound different for each voice, In the Dutch, I would like this version if it weren't for the fact that Petrie sounds like Gonzo from the Muppets been strangled! But the worst version for me had to be the Swedish.. As Littlefoot sounds WAY too old in that dub, his VA's voice as completely cracked.... Ruining his cute factor... And Ali was again clearly a grown woman putting on a very silly and unfitting cartoony voice....

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Dalekdino, unfortunately I don't have the clips with me at the moment, but one day I want to rip my DVD into an mp4 file and upload the clips to Youtube (those were uploaded to blogger way back when). If you want I can also post the mp3 versions of the songs on a link for anyone who's interested to download (it helps that I'm a video editor, so these kinds of things are just another day at the office for me :p )

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
BTW something I completely forgot to say as to one of the main reasons why I like the 4th film, is bloody Topsy's not in it! :D
Well sort of. He cameo's in the background. Though you could argue its just another random adult triceratops.

Hardback247

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
If there's one small flaw I have with The Land Before Time II, it's that the characters at one point seem to know less than the audience does. In this case, the fact that they keep on mistaking Ducky's sibling's egg for Chomper's egg, and thinking that Ozzy and Strut stole the latter. We saw the egg they lost roll back into Ducky's mom's nest!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I personally think that's a rather amusing thing :smile
Inactive, probably forever.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I like all of the sequels, even XI and XIII, but I picked VI because nobody else did, and I actually like the Secret of Saurus Rock a lot. I liked the old western feel, and the changing folk-tale premise. Doc was a fun character, and in my opinion there aren't enough Diplodocuses in LBT  :p

(I did like XIII far less than all the others, though. Just a side note :lol )

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Oct 26 2015 on  04:29 PM
I like all of the sequels, even XI and XIII, but I picked VI because nobody else did, and I actually like the Secret of Saurus Rock a lot. I liked the old western feel, and the changing folk-tale premise. Doc was a fun character, and in my opinion there aren't enough Diplodocuses in LBT  :p

(I did like XIII far less than all the others, though. Just a side note :lol )
You don't like XII, though?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
In an old school kind of away, eventhough I didn't really care for XI or XIII, my least favourite sequel is III. The storytelling is just too slow, in the action scenes with the raptors I never really felt that the stakes were that high, and the bullies were a bit much. Also, the gang only really sings one song, which is one of my favourite ones, but still, III just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe it's also because back in 98 I used to watch all the land before time sequels on saturday afternoon (I actually did it for a few years longer, until 7 came out), and I always wanted to fastforward to Journey through the Mist, so The Time of the Great Giving was just a step in my way :p

Btw, did you guys used to also have TLBT marathons?

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
You don't like XII, though?

No, I do! I thought XII was a pretty good one. It was fun to have Petrie as the main focus, and Guido was a cute character. Plus, I liked the addition of Tricia :D

Btw, did you guys used to also have TLBT marathons?

Heheh yes, I had 1 through 10 on VHS, and I used to see if I could watch them all in one day  :lol
Now I'm starting to collect them all on DVD so I can watch them with my kid. I'm just missing 4, 5, 6, and 9.