The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Server Offline For Another Hour Or So

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well I've been reluctant to upgrade to Vista SP2, but the recent addition to SP2 caught my eye for the LBT server.  SP2 removes the limit of 10 half open outbound TCP connections. By default, SP2 has no limit on the number of half open outbound TCP connections.  This will greatly improve server performance.  I must do this update.  But first I must install SP1 (I can't believe it wasn't installed already) and do several dozen updates.  This will all take about an hour.  I expect the server to be more reliable than ever after this though.  After this I'm disabling automatic updates so the piece of crap doesn't automatically restart like it did last night.  When it restarts the server shuts down even if the computer is started up again.  

There are just a few more kinks to work out now.  A Vista server is certainly something new to me and there were bound to be little knots in the hose. :p Nothing serious though.  Just need some downtime so it can be optimized and upgraded.

EDIT:
Crap.  Make that about 2 hours.  I don't remember it taking so long to install a service pack in Windows XP......  I've only installed a Vista service pack a handful of times and I never really timed it.  My Vista disk comes with SP1 integrated, but the LBT Server came with an OEM license to Vista pre service pack and a recovery partition so I have to install BOTH service packs.  It's been about 8 minutes and it's only at 3% right now on the FIRST service pack! :bang Well if SP2 really is that revolutionary it shouldn't take that long to install. :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The server is back up.  All updates have been installed and Service Pack 2 is now included.  Let's see how this removal of connection limits helps the speed of the server, shall we? :yes