The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I still don't understand how Celestia's actions were trolling. I find Molestia hilarious though  :lol:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Justin1993,Sep 4 2011 on  04:38 PM
I still don't understand how Celestia's actions were trolling. I find Molestia hilarious though  :lol:
Answer this, how does royalty normally act and how does she act instead?

This is the reason people believe her to be a troll because she doesn't act the way you would expect from royalty.  The truth is, they just don't fully understand her.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Justin1993,Sep 5 2011 on  05:38 AM
I still don't understand how Celestia's actions were trolling. I find Molestia hilarious though :lol:
>Trollestia
>show Fluttershy sick pet bird
>doesn't tell why it's sick
>pet burns into ashes
>pretend to mourn its "death"
>pet revived
>explanation is given
>everypony trolled

Eeyup. :p :lol

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
She was probably having some fun when she didn't tell Flutter Shy.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Here's a video...
Here's a video...
It's sort of on the Youtube Poop side, and is a bit like JitteryDragon's LBT ones.
Where it's on the side where it seems like a basher made it, but it's a fan.

The editing is great, though.

Bongo

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oh com on! Only about a week left and we are already running out of things to say...um...gotta think of a conversation catalyst...gotta think of a conversation catalyst...

Have you guys heard of these 'Ask Pony' blogs on Tumblr? It's where you ask a pony a question, and if you are lucky to be picked, they draw a picture answering that question. Let me put up some examples (Some may be a little too violent for some, so you might wanna look away)

I fished out some random ones for you to see, and maybe even ask.

[Source]

[Source]

[Source]

[Source]

[Source]

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bongo,Sep 5 2011 on  08:45 PM
Oh com on! Only about a week left and we are already running out of things to say...um...gotta think of a conversation catalyst...gotta think of a conversation catalyst...

Have you guys heard of these 'Ask Pony' blogs on Tumblr? It's where you ask a pony a question, and if you are lucky to be picked, they draw a picture answering that question. Let me put up some examples (Some may be a little too violent for some, so you might wanna look away)

I fished out some random ones for you to see, and maybe even ask.

[Source]

I wonder how she would react to Pattycakes and it's sequel?

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 5 2011 on  09:49 PM
What is Pattycakes about?
It's pretty much Cupcakes but with Fluttershy.  :anger  :anger  :anger  :anger

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Sep 5 2011 on  10:49 PM
What is Pattycakes about?
Fluttershy drugs and forcibly turns Rainbow Dash into her baby. The sequel features the same to Scootaloo but it is done in the style of Saw.

-------------------------------

Has anyone heard of the "New Lunar Republic"? It's a meme sort of based of the idea of Celestia as a tyrant.

Any how, I found this For the New Lunar Republic. And to me, it sounds like something from Command and Conquer

And this: Mashup of Soviet March from Red Alert 3 and the "Obey" art

Solar Empire Anthem. It's got an AWESOME choir... even if you can't make out the words that well.

Luna's Army Assembles
Luna's Army Assembles. Not militaristic enough for my taste but it'll do.

Luna's Charge
Luna's Charge. Very akin to a military march. There are lyrics (spoken) by the two "generals" and a choir.

And to make up for my Pony militaria, here's some Soarin' with Pie:

---------------------------

On a side note:

What if there was an episode that showed the "dark/mirror" (for lack of a better term) versions of the Mane Six and depicted Ponyville not as a beautiful small town but a dirty, gritty megacity right out of Blade Runner? And the music was replaced with an industrial rock soundtrack in the style Batman Beyond or Iron Man?

This idea came from TV Trope's WMG page. Would anyone watch that episode?

I sure as f--- would! MLP plus Industrial Rock plus dark and gritty settings, what's not to like?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
News Hasbro has no intentions on releasing this show on DVD. I hope they do. I mean come on now.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I found this fan fic Equestria. It's good but it is one of the most depressing fan fics I have ever read.

Spoiler:
Equestria is the elaborate fantasy world of a woman who had been emotionally abused by her mother. One day the abuse gets so bad that she "wakes up" in Equestria as Twilight Sparkle with "new memories". She gets committed to a mental institution which in her state becomes part of Equestria. She is eventually freed of her delusions but when she leaves the mental institution, she is hit by a car and rendered either comatose or severely brain damaged and is "locked" in Equestria.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I finally got around to sharing my opinion of this show. I enjoy it, that’s for sure. I’ve seen every episode at least twice, and I can’t really complain about this popular series that appeals to me and so many more. I enjoyed the character depth, as well as the various layers created by different combinations, such as Applajack and Rainbow Dash arguing a lot, and the others being especially gentle with matter regarding Flutteryshy. If I hadn’t seen its predecessors, however I would like this a lot more. Honestly, (and ironically) My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was not nearly as “magical” to me as My Little Pony and My Little Pony Tales. I am going to look at this show not on its own but in contrast to those that came before it.

I grew up with those two. They were some of my favorite shows back in the day. They had this realistic feel to them that let me really connect with the characters more. The characters had personalities relatable to real people. FiM created some goofy characters that while may be relatable to some people and were certainly entertaining, didn’t really grip me. Take Lancer from MLPT for example. He is a quiet boy who works hard on his life even though he has a lot given to him by his rich family, gives in to peer pressure often, pursues romance, and generally is known for doing the right thing, as, during The Great Lemonade War (or something like that) when he’s talked into helping Ace and Teddy rival the girls’ stand, the girls say to him something along the lines of, “We would have expected something like that from them, but you?” Then we have someone like Pinky Pie. “Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash!” /Slam “I was just going to tell you to watch out for that tree!” “I don’t think you should hit the books. I think you should read them.” “Ooh, my tail is twitching, so something is going to fall!” Those things make her a very interesting and likable character, and she brings a lot to her friends’ lives and show as a whole, but I get much more deeply involved in a show where characters are more like Lancer- down to earth but still unique.

The other shows had lessons to learn too, but they were more subtle and “in story,” not thrown at us at the end. That just made those more magical to me, more relatable to. I liked, “Wow, I can’t believe I thought my friends were making fun of me. I’m so sorry you guys for running off like that. Next time, I’ll ask before assuming things,” better than, “Princess Celestia, the lesson I learned this time was that stealing is wrong and we must work for what we want.” Again, FiM was awesome, entertaining, educational, and well-written, but it just didn’t have the dazzle in my heart as the earlier, simpler shows of the franchise. In fact, FiM even alluded to MLPT. Any old-time MLP fans see that? There was an episode of MLPT where Lucky won two tickets to a concert, but her friends found out and wanted to come. So she agreed to take each one (while only with one friend at the time) and when they all came to go and she didn’t have enough for them all, there was trouble, arguing all around. She eventually just let the tickets be won again, though only in her circle of friends to decide which two could go. In the end, she won again, but when the two of them got there, they realized that they couldn’t just leave their friends out so sold the tickets and bought pizza for them all. FiM had TS not agree to ANY of them, think that no one should go, then she got tickets for them all. It was a sort of backwards allusion, but the premise purely existed in both. So even the new show itself felt a sort of admiration for the older days and borrowed from it.

The older shows worked out the emotions more smoothly. They gradually built up to fear, sadness, anger, happiness, and so forth. FiM is very sporadic, like feeling a peaceful satisfaction when they escape the monster at the marsh, then bursting into laughter when TS gets enraged at that not being the doozie, then feeling happy when it meant she accepted it, then laughing when TS wore that umbrella hat, then being in awe when PP’s prediction was about the princess herself. It just sort of jerks us around whereas the other two sort of gradually weaved us into the new situations.

MLPT had males that really helped bring out the story through things like dating which made it even more confusing why FiM ignored male roles for anything important. It worked before, so why leave it behind? When I saw the FiM version of Spike, honestly, I was like, “Oh no, Spike, what have they done to you?” The original Spike, I feel, captured a more gripping personality. They were both baby dragons so had this sort of immaturity, but Spike’s was more realistic and he really seemed to make better use of himself. Spike from FiM cleaned and was an overall assistant while Spike from MLPT just seemed to have more of a grasp on the world as a whole, really defining him in a broader sense. When that child ran off during the movie, he knew he couldn’t stop her so left a note and followed her. He showed this sort of childish tag-along nature, portraying his youth, while being genuinely concerned about her safety and making sure she didn’t get into much trouble while she left to find herself, showing his ability to be very logical and sympathetic. The FiM version, while kind of like that too, just seemed more spoiled, oblivious, and self-centered, while showing favoritism that negatively affected his actions. While Spike from MLPT did a lot of helping out, it just seemed like the FiM version was more needy and did things that would have bothered others more often were not for his youth. I understand the whole “being very young means you’re more out of touch with life,” but I think the original Spike had more of a balance that made him shine.

I feel that the newest show has more realistic expressions, but the older ones have the actual feelings behind them more down pat. When a character from MLPT felt rejected, she ran off crying. When a character in the new one felt that, she made come cool faces, but started acting like she was suffering from vastly increased dopamine levels. It’s like the new show is trying very hard to be entertaining. That’s great! I love entertainment with a passion. Who doesn’t? However, the older two didn’t put so much emphasis on a “putting on a show,” so as a result, they were naturally more entertaining. The first two seemed to me like a man sitting on a sidewalk quietly playing a guitar while the new was like a magic-act guy shouting, “Hey, everyone, look at me!” I really enjoyed FiM. It did a great job holding my interest and had good stories. I just wish it had gripped me without having to try so hard. For those who didn’t grow up with MLP, let me show you the contrast between the first two and the new one. I see them as more gentle while the other is almost pleading for attention:

Examples of the first series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP_rIAkb_v8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqpV_JP4UVo
(Notice the old Spike in the second video?)

The second series, My Little Pony Tales:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOZLoWu4BHM

The newest, Friendship is Magic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xtle0njT8M

I think all three are great shows, all worthy of much praise. It’s just that to me, the latest falls short in terms of being heartwarming and flowing gracefully. Maybe the third was attempting to be less of those, but even if so, I just couldn’t relax as much with or get as enthralled with FiM as the first two. I think if the latest had took a less hyper approach and really tried to show people examples of themselves in a realistic manner, it would have left more memories outside of humor. Some people do prefer a simpler approach, and FiM just had so many twists all over that I feel that it went overkill. A picture with two colors can be prettier than a picture with five. It’s like they crammed every bit of entertainment they could think of into making this show likable, and they certainly did make it enjoyable at that. I only wish they had looked more closely at how well the simpler ones did it and not tried to quadruple the new elements to make it better. It’s almost like taking a boyfriend/girlfriend on a walk through a park, loving it, then suggesting the very day, “Hey, let’s scale the largest mountain in town!” I just feel that, ironically, they would have done more if they’d tried a little less.

Anyhow, after my long drabble, I thought I’d end this with some fun. There is a MLP making program I found online that lets you make your own pony, cutie mark and all. For those who can’t draw (like me) but would like to try your hand at creating a character, here is where you can. Please note, however, that the options are somewhat limited. To show you some examples and my tastes in creating characters, I made three to show you:

Alright, here is the link to the site for any who’d have fun with this. Thank you all for your time.
http://www.dolldivine.com/pony-maker.php