The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Growing Up and Size Shenanigans

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://davetheanalyzer.dreamwidth.org
“But Hyp, when you’re all grownup, you won’t be very big at all.”

“Yeah, you’re kind never gets very big. When we grow up, we’ll be much bigger.”

Those comments from Littlefoot and Cera respectively to Hyp in LBT 3 made me curious about the height differential that will exist when these kids grow up. And boy were they right about Hyp not growing very large compared to the other characters. I mean:

Hyp: 5.9 ft in length

Littlefoot: 69 – 75 ft.
Cera: 25.9 – 29.9 ft
Ducky: 31 or 32 ft (Parasaurolophus and Saurolophus length)
Petrie: 18 – 20 ft wingspan
Spike: 29.5 ft
Chomper: 40 ft
Ruby: 7 ft

The closest of the seven who matches Hyp in size is Ruby and she’s a foot bigger than him. Out of curiosity, I also looked up the length of the Tinysaurusses/Mussaurus and even their actual adult size is bigger than Hyp’s (And might still be in LBT if a. you handwave Big Daddy as a case of dwarfism and b. assume all the other Tinysauruses are juveniles)! Poor Hyp.

Still, he use this to his advantage. He could walk up to some of his larger dinosaur friends, ask for a ride, and get on before they answer, being a charming little annoyance. I’m sure those he does this with would tolerate it stolidly or playfully throw him off. Hyp finds those reactions as part of the fun.

I can picture all sorts of fun with this information. Ruby and Chomper have practically more than reversed in size, so Chomper could adorably carry Ruby. If Littlefoot grows up to be especially big and he doesn’t change his name, I can imagine some friends like Cera saying “hello” to and holding conversations with his feet. Littlefoot bears with this with tolerant amusement before sometimes gently pushing their heads up with his tail.

What sorts of fun or heartwarming stuff do you think will happen when the youth of the cast grow up and have at times wildly divergent sizes?

LBTlover247

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
I get that length is a good indicator of how big the gang will get, but what about their height? Like how tall the ones with four legs are at the shoulder, especially Littlefoot since he can lower his neck. I'm now tempted to do an adult size chart based on this topic.

I could totally see Hyp doing that! XD And I got the cutest image of Chomper carrying around Ruby or giving her a boost, all the while playfully teasing her that he is now taller than her. May include scenes similar to these in future fanfics!

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I get that length is a good indicator of how big the gang will get, but what about their height? Like how tall the ones with four legs are at the shoulder, especially Littlefoot since he can lower his neck. I'm now tempted to do an adult size chart based on this topic.

That made me curious, so I googled around. This website gave some height and length data for most except Pteranodon (Because they aren't dinosaurs but I managed to find data elsewhere). There's some variation in the other results I glimpsed, so if this data might be incorrect, feel free to correct me. Now as for height:

Littlefoot: 30 ft tall
Cera: 10 ft
Ducky: 16 ft or 17 ft (Parasaurolophus or Saurolophus)
Petrie: 6 ft
Spike: 14 ft
Chomper: 13 ft.
Ruby: 3 ft
Hyp: 4 ft
Nod: 6 ft
Mutt: 15 ft
Tinysauruses: 10 ft

So Hyp might be a foot taller than Ruby as a grownup. Progress!

But the Tinysauruses are still more than twice as tall as him while Mutt will be more than three times his height. Welp!

LBT90321

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTlover247,Nov 24 2016 on  07:57 PM

I could totally see Hyp doing that! XD And I got the cutest image of Chomper carrying around Ruby or giving her a boost, all the while playfully teasing her that he is now taller than her. May include scenes similar to these in future fanfics!
So you got a picture of chomper carrying ruby?
Lets see that

DaveTheAnalyzer

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I don't think they have a fanart of Chomper carrying Ruby, they're just imagining it in their minds. Though there would be no objections from me if someone did a fanart of that.

I just realized today that as teenagers and adults, the gang are going to have a harder time finding places to jump in and hide. I now imagine the gang foreseeing the problem and deciding to practice squeezing in all sorts of holes and crevices all around the valley. Oh the awkwardness and hilarity that will ensue if someone stumbles across them all trying to find the least uncomfortable way to squish against each other in a cave...