The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Heinous

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The <> is intended to show that the sharptooth is speaking in sharptooth language. Originally he was going to speak leafeater but I thought that was a bit farfetched so I stuck with him speaking sharptooth.

Tric's name is pronounced "try-s". Probably a weird pronunciation for it, I admit. But that's the pronunciation I had in mind when I came up with the name.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Next chapter. This will most likely be the last chapter for a while since starting tomorrow I'll be more focused on writing for NaNo.

Littlefoot ran around a large tree and hid behind there. Once the others had joined in, he said, “Do you think he followed us?”

“I don't see anything.” Ruby said as she used her longneck to peer out from behind the tree.

“Should we go tell the grownups?” Ducky suggested.

“They have enough to worry about with those two evil flyers around.” Cera said, narrowing her eyes. “Besides, I'm sure Chomper can handle himself.”

The others seemed to agree with her, but Littlefoot couldn't help but feel worried. It had gotten eerily quiet since they ran away. All he had heard was Chomper growling at the other sharptooth, and then silence. Perhaps Chomper had managed to chase away the sharptooth, but then, why hadn't he come back? He wondered if the sharptooth had gotten him.

“We should go back.” Littlefoot said as he walked out from behind the tree.

“But Chomper told us to get away.” Ruby said.

Littlefoot looked back at her. “But what if something terrible happened? Didn't Chomper's parents tell you to make sure he remained safe?” Ruby opened her mouth to speak but Littlefoot cut her off. “How do you think they'd feel if they found out you didn't keep your promise?”

“Chomper's a sharptooth, Littlefoot!” Cera said. “They don't need as much protection as we do.”

“But Chomper's only a kid, like us.” Littlefoot, turning around to face his friends.

Petrie spoke up, “Cera right. Chomper has sharp teeth he can use. Him have strong bite.”

Ruby nodded. “Strong enough to break stone teeth clean off.”

Guido looked shocked. “He can do that?” He glanced over at Petrie, who gave him a single nod. “Wow..remind me not to get on his bad side.” He chuckled nervously.

Cera's eyes narrowed slightly. “You see, Littlefoot? If anything, it's going to be that other sharptooth that's going to be in trouble, not Chomper.”

But Littlefoot still wasn't convinced. It was true that Chomper did have a strong bite, but that wasn't saying much when his opponent was a lot bigger than he was. Before Chomper would even land a bite, the sharptooth could easily snag Chomper in its jaws and shake him until he died.

“Well I'm going back there. If you guys don't want to come, you can stay here.” With that, Littlefoot turned and ran back to where Chomper was.

The remaining children looked at each other, unsure of what to do. They wondered if they should chase after Littlefoot, if they should tell the adults, or if they should remain where they were until Littlefoot and Chomper returned.

“Oh dear..I do not know what to do, no no no.” Ducky said as she climbed off of Spike's head.

Cera shook her head. “If Littlefoot wants to get himself into trouble, let him! He might learn a thing or two from this.”

Petrie looked at her with a shocked expression. “What you say, Cera? We can't let Littlefoot go there by himself!” With that, he took off into the air and flew after Littlefoot.

Cera seemed surprised by Petrie's sudden show of courage. “Since when was he ever brave?” But the others ignored her response.

Spike frowned momentarily. Then he kicked at the dirt. Ducky quickly climbed back on top of him and, as soon as she did so, Spike broke into a run. The spiketail's sudden charge took the others by surprise, quickly stepping out of his way as he ran towards where Littlefoot and Petrie had gone off to. Ruby and Guido glanced at each other and nodded.

“Wait for us, guys!” Guido said as he jumped into the air.

“We are coming too!” Ruby said as she broke into a run.

Cera remained behind for a few moments, shaking her head in disgust. But after a while, her initial feeling faded away and, against what she considered to be her better judgement, she chased off after the others. “Me too!”

When they caught up with Littlefoot and Petrie, they were frozen in place. Petrie was standing on Littlefoot's head, eyes glued on something straight ahead. They were hiding behind a bush, watching something. Curious, the others approached cautiously, peering through the bush to see what they were looking at. What they saw took them by surprise.

Chomper was sitting on the ground, making a lot of squeaks and chirps, and they knew he was speaking sharptooth. Next to him was a partially eaten water scaly. In front of him was the horned clawhand, who had also sat down. When it talked, it made relatively low guttural sounds similar to what they'd hear from a bellydragger.

What struck them as oddest of all was that the sharpteeth looked like they were having a normal conversation, like they'd see with the adult dinosaurs of the Great Valley. Neither side was showing any kind of aggression, and, judging from how the horned clawhand appeared to be laughing, the horned clawhand seemed almost playful.

After finishing another sentence in sharptooth, Chomper looked towards the bush and noticed his friends there. He smiled and said, “Don't worry, you're safe.” He gestured for them to come out.

The leafeaters glanced at each other nervously and hesitated to come out. After a while, Spike pushed his way through the brush and walked out into the open. He looked up at the sharptooth for a moment, narrowing his eyes suspiciously. But after a few seconds, his expression changed to happy.

Ducky chuckled. “It seems Spike trusts this sharptooth, yep, yep yep.”

Although they still looked nervous, the other children walked out and stopped next to Chomper.

Cera frowned. “How do we know we can trust this sharptooth.”

“He says he only eats water scalies and other water meats.” Chomper explained. He pointed to the water scaly beside his foot. “He gave this to me as a gift.”

Petrie said, “Why?”

“To show he's harmless.” Chomper said.

“That's exactly what he wants you to think.” Cera murmured softly.

Littlefoot nudged her roughly with one leg. “Cera, don't start.” He looked back over in Chomper's direction. “Why has he come to the Great Valley? Did he say?”

Chomper shook his head. “No, not yet. He was just finishing telling me how he tried to get directions from a couple eggstealers, but they ran as soon as they saw him. He said he didn't know why they ran off without saying anything to him.”

In response, the horned clawhand shrugged his shoulders and shook his head slowly. <I don't know what they have to worry about anyway. Their horrible stench is enough to drive even the hungriest sharpteeth away. They'd probably think they were very ill or something.>

Chomper chuckled and immediately translated, “And he says their smell alone would drive away any sharptooth.”

This statement caused the kids to laugh briefly. But they quickly became serious again.

Littlefoot moved towards the horned clawhand nervously. “..are you sure he's safe to be around? His teeth look very big...”

Chomper nodded his head. “Don't worry. He said his kind don't eat other dinosaurs. They only eat water meat.”

Littlefoot seemed a bit more relieved and he got a little closer to the sharptooth. Although it was clear the sharptooth didn't understand leafeater, Littlefoot spoke slowly. “Umm..hello..my name is Littlefoot and what is...” Before Littlefoot had time to finish, the sharptooth suddenly licked Littlefoot across the neck and face.

“He's tasting Littlefoot!” Cera exclaimed.

Chomper shook his head. “No, he's just saying hello. If he wanted to taste Littlefoot, he would have bitten him.” He turned towards Littlefoot. “Oh and his name is Tator.”

Ruby took a step forward. “Excuse me, but aren't you going to ask him why he's in the valley?”

Chomper nodded. He looked back at the sharptooth. <Why did you come to the Great Valley?>

Tator paused for a moment. <I came for you.>

Chomper frowned. <Me? Why?>

<It's your parents.> Tator said. Chomper's eyes grew wide. <They're in trouble. And I'm afraid they are not the only ones in danger...>

Back in the Mysterious Beyond, close to where Rona's plains home was, a blue female fastbiter was running across the floor, carrying something bloody in her jaws. She moved through a thick vegetated area before reaching a small nest area. She dropped the thing in her jaws and let out a couple chirps.

Almost immediately, a group of three small fastbiters, one green, one purple, and one blue, came stumbling out from the nest and immediately went for the meat. The mother sharptooth laid down on the ground as she watched her offspring gorge themselves on the meat she had given them.

The female fastbiter kept her head up and looked around for any signs of danger. Although this was her first brood, her instincts told her danger could be lurking around any corner. And she wasn't going to let her guard down, even if they were at the nesting site.

It didn't take her long to sense approaching danger. She immediately got into a protective posture in front of her babies. Although they were still very young, the babies seemed to sense something was wrong and they immediately laid low to the ground, as if to use their stripes to help themselves blend in. The mother looked around, her eyes narrowed and her teeth bared, trying to find what she had detected. But upon seeing nothing, she seemed o grew confused.

Just then, she heard her babies squealing and she whirled around to see what was going on. A horrified expression appeared on her long face as she saw a giant scaly nofooter wrap its tail around all three of her offspring and lift them high into the air.

Immediately, the fastbiter leaped into the air and used her hand claws to latch onto the scaly nofooter. She bite down hard onto the scales and skin, and she managed to drive one of her sickle claws into the body of the creature. Her babies continued to shriek in fear and instinctively began to bite as well, although their small teeth couldn't penetrate the skin.

Hissing loudly, the scaly nofooter bit down onto the mother's body and easily pulled her away. It released the fastbiter and let her fall onto the ground several feet below. It then turned and immediately started to flee the scene.

The mother fastbiter wasn't about to give up. She got back onto her feet and was about to leap again, but then howled in pain as something struck her in the side, something sharp. Several deep lacerations appeared on her right thigh and she fell back to the ground, blood seeping from the wounds. As she looked up, her eyes widened.

Standing in front of her was a leafeater, more specifically a sharptail. The sharptail's eyes narrowed as it stared down at the wounded sharptooth. “Now now...” it spoke in a masculine voice. “We can't have you doing that.. Don't want to make Rona upset, now do we?” The fastbiter tried to get up, but fell back down due to the pain.

The scaly nofooter noticed this and spoke in a feminine voice. “What shall we do with her?”

“Leave her. She's as good as dead.” The sharptail responded. “Rona wanted a couple fastbiters alive.”

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay. Here's the next chapter.

At the river, the grownups had continued their discussion with the two flyers. In addition to telling them about Ms. Maia's death, they had also relayed information regarding the attackers. When they described one of them, the adults realized it perfectly matched the description Ducky gave regarding the threehorn. Grandpa Longneck was unsettled by this. He had never heard of any threehorn more aggressive than Topsy.

He was puzzled by something else from the flyer's story. They had described a dinosaur he had never heard of before. Was it a flattooth? A sharptooth? A halftooth? But such information wasn't going to get him anywhere. What he did know was that this dinosaur, along with his accomplice, were potential threats. And it was made worse by the fact that they had been dangerously close to the valley.

Grandma Longneck moved her heads towards her mate. “Do you think they could be telling the truth, dear?”

Grandpa Longneck looked back at her. It was difficult for him to come up with a response, but he didn't want her to worry. “They haven't shown any immediate reason to question what they say.”

Ms. Flyer, who was perched on an adult spiketail's back, looked upset by what the longneck said. “I still wouldn't trust them. Let's not forget what they did the last time they were here.” She turned her head towards Ms. Swimmer, who had an apprehensive expression to her face, despite Sierra's previous assertion that they weren't going to capture her daughter again.

Grandpa Longneck nodded his head. “Yes, but...”

Topsy interrupted. “I'd say we just run them out! They've done nothing to win trust from anyone here!”

Many of the other adults nodded in agreement. Grandpa Longneck looked around at the group of dinosaurs. He was worried they were going to start a riot. And if what the flyers said was true, that was the last thing they needed.

“Get them out of here!” A duckbill shouted.

“They don't belong here!” A clubtail said.

“Now, now,” Grandpa Longneck spoke aloud. “Let's not carry ourselves away.”

Topsy narrowed his eyes. “You know what? I'm getting sick of this disposition you always seem to have.”

Grandpa Longneck was confused. What was the threehorn talking about? “Pardon?”

“You know what I'm talking about, longneck!” Topsy spat. “You always seem to look on the bright side of things, never think negatively about any of our unexpected guests, with the exception of Pterano. And while your hunch is often correct, I admit, it's not always right!” He pointed his head towards Rinkus and Sierra. “And you yourself are aware about what these two have done. What makes you think you can give them a chance and everything will be just fine?!”

Most of the adults were shocked by what Topsy said. A couple others seemed to agree, nodding their heads slowly. Grandma Longneck opened her mouth to speak but no words came out. She looked at her mate, who was just as shocked, if not more so, about Topsy's words.

Grandpa Longneck didn't know what to say. He had never seen Topsy get worked up like this towards him. The worse was when the threehorn mistakenly believed that he was using his height advantage to make his opinion more important than the threehorn's.

He did understand Topsy's frustration. He understood why many of the dinosaurs were not happy with the idea of trusting two flyers. In truth, he himself didn't like it too much. But he didn't want to look like the bad guy by chasing out the flyers unprovoked. It had been a long time since the flyers were last at the valley; it would be pointless to chase them out for something they hadn't done recently.

Grandpa Longneck decided it wasn't wise to stay on the subject for too long. He turned his attention back to the flyers. Even if the information were false, he felt it'd be a good idea to get as much information as he could from these two before they leave, either on their own or forced out by the resident dinosaurs. “Where did you see them drag Ms. Maia's body?”

Rinkus replied, “Out into the Mysterious Beyond somewhere.”

“Yes, but where, exactly?” Grandpa Longneck said. “There are many places out there.”

“We didn't follow them, actually.” Rinkus said. “But we did see the direction they took her.”

Sierra crossed his wings. “Not that it'll do you any good, but they went towards the direction the bright circle falls every night.”

Grandpa Longneck frowned a bit. This information was too generic. Although he's traveled many times through the Mysterious Beyond in his younger years, he couldn't get an idea of where the intruders were from if he didn't have any specific details on the location. Still, it was at least better than nothing. He wanted to ask more, but the other dinosaurs were getting agitated by the flyers' presence, so he decided to end it.

“Well thanks for the information.” Grandpa Longneck said. “Was there anything else you wanted to tell us?”

“Not me.” Sierra said. “I'd be happy to get out of this wretched valley.”

Rinkus, holding his tail with one hand, hesitated. He looked as if he wanted to say more. But when he got a glare from Sierra, he quickly said, “Yeah, yeah, that's all we wanted to tell you. If you want us to leave, we will.”

Topsy growled, “Please do. I'll be happy to give you a 'boost' if you want it.”

Rinkus clenched his teeth worriedly. “N-No, we can do it on our own.”

“Good luck with your problems.” Sierra said in an insincere voice. He and Rinkus took off and flew away.

Grandma Longneck watched them fly away. When they disappeared, she glanced at her mate. “Dear, what if they were lying?”

Grandpa Longneck sighed. “And what if they are right? I don't want to take that chance.”

“Well, until I see it for myself, I'm not believing a word from those stupid flyers.” Topsy snorted. He was about to continue, but Tria stopped him.

Tria looked towards where the children had run off to earlier. “The kids are coming back.”

Ms. Swimmer turned around. “Kids? Why did you come back?”

Grandpa Longneck watched as the kids stopped at the river bank. They all looked tired. They probably were doing a lot of running while they were up there and tired themselves out. But he noticed they had worried expressions on their faces. He lowered his head towards his grandson. “Littlefoot? What's going on?”

Littlefoot panted a couple of times before saying, “Grandpa, something strange is happening in the Mysterious Beyond!”

Grandpa Longneck said, “Oh? What would that be?”

“Sharpteeth have been disappearing!” Littlefoot said.

This caused a bit of murmuring among the adults, but they didn't seem too worried about this, especially Topsy. He just snorted and said, “Well that's a good thing then! That just means less sharpteeth to worry about!”

Chomper glared at Topsy. “No, it's a terrible thing!”

Topsy looked at the small sharptooth. “Yeah, terrible for you, given that you're one of them.”

Littlefoot took a step forward. “But it's not just sharpteeth, Mr. Threehorn. Flatteeth and halfteeth have been disappearing as well!”

At this, the dinosaurs began chattering worriedly among themselves.

Grandpa Longneck wasn't sure what to make of this. The thought of dinosaurs disappearing, even if they were sharpteeth, worried him. This was never a good sign. Could this have anything to do with Ms. Maia's death? “Where did you get this information, Littlefoot?”

Chomper pointed behind him. “He told us.” After he said that, Tator came into view, causing the adults to gasp in shock at the sight of a sharptooth in the Great Valley. Before anyone could react, Chomper quickly said, “Don't worry; he is not going to hurt anyone.”

Topsy said, “Yeah right. If I won't trust a couple of flyers, what makes you think I'll trust a sharptooth?”

Tria nudged him gently. “Let's at least hear what he has to say. It wouldn't hurt. Besides, we outnumber him.”

Tator let out a couple of growls. Chomper immediately translated. “He said that he had escaped the place where the dinosaurs had been taken.” After Tator growled again, he said, “There are some dinosaurs trying to fight back, but they are failing. My parents are among these dinosaurs.”

“Where are they being taken?” Grandpa Longneck asked.

Chomper said, “He claims that they were taken to a place in the Mysterious Beyond called Sinking Sand Flats.”

“Sinking Sand Flats?” Grandpa Longneck asked softly. Chomper nodded his head.

A clubtail longneck was carrying Ms. Maia's body on its back. It was walking out in a large field with sparse trees. It was heading towards what looked to be soft grass. Alongside it was a false longneck, who was helping to guide the clubtail longneck to their destination.

The false longneck stopped abruptly in what seemed like a random location. It turned its head around. “Drop her off in here.” It said in a feminine voice.

“How do you know this is the right spot?” The clubtail longneck said in a masculine voice. “All this ground looks the same to me.”

The false longneck glanced at the ground. “It takes a skilled eye, but there is a difference between this ground and that ground. That is why I was sent along with you. Rona wouldn't want to lose any of her soldiers to this place.”

The clubtail longneck hesitated, and then moved forward. He stopped where the false longneck was and turned around. He reared up on his hind legs, allowing the crestless swimmer's limp body to roll down his back and land on the ground. He turned around. It didn't take him long to realize the false longneck had been right.

It only took seconds before the crestless swimmer's body to sink into what appeared to be short green grass. There was a gurgling sound as she disappeared under completely, and the ground settled down, taking on the appearance of solid land once again.

The clubtail longneck flinched at the site. “You'd think that, with these sinking sands here, someone would do something to make it more noticeable.”

The false longneck said, “That will upset Rona. You know how she is.”

The clubtail longneck shook his head. “Well let's go and tell her we've done the deed.” He shuddered a bit and said, “I hope she doesn't have us deliver any more dead dinosaurs here. The thought of being this close to sinking sands that are pretty much invisible..it's scary.”

The false longneck smirked. “It's not so bad...once you get used to it. But I agree, let's go meet up with Rona. We don't want to keep her waiting.”

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Another great chapter! :yes I really liked how, during the grownups’ discussion with Sierra and Rinkus, you provided an insight into Grandpa Longneck’s thoughts on the situation, and allowed Mr. Threehorn some credible criticism. :p I’m liking your portrayal of Sierra and Rinkus as well.

I take it the “clubtail longneck” is a Shunosaurus and the “false longneck” is an Iguanodon (correct me if I’m wrong). But what’s the “sharptail” from the preceding chapter supposed to be? (I forgot to ask earlier. :rolleyes:)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comment. :)

The false longneck is actually a brachytrachelopan. It's rather strange for a sauropod because it does not have a long neck.

http://www.dinoart1.narod.ru/gallery5/brachytrachelopan.jpg

I originally thought of calling it a shortneck longneck but that sounded too strange, so I went for false longneck instead, since it looks like a longneck but lacks the long neck.

The sharptail is a gastonia. For those who don't know what a gastonia is, here's a picture of one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ei_dinosaur.png

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^Ohhhh... :o I assumed it was Iguanodon because, by coincidence, "false longneck" is one of the LBT-style names that has been suggested for that dinosaur (see the LBT Glossary). But it works for Brachytrachelopan. By another coincidence, I had also thought of "shortneck longneck" as a possible LBT name for Brachytrachelopan, but like you said, it's a bit awkward-sounding. Alternatively, it could simply be called a "shortneck", but since there were a number of dinosaurs with short necks, that's not much good either. (Don't mind me; I'm just thinking out loud at this point. :p)

Are you planning to post artwork of any of the characters in this story?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, I may post up pictures some time in the future. Any particular character you want to see?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As a matter of fact, I'd really like to see your renditions of an LBT Shunosaurus and Brachytrachelopan. ;)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's the next chapter. I apologize for the delay.

The female fastbiter groaned as she slowly picked herself up off the ground. Her vision was blurry. She shook closed her eyes and shook her head. She could still feel the blood from the assault drip down her side. She reopened her eyes. Her vision had sharpened, but still remained somewhat blurry.

Her head ached as she tried to remember what had happened. She wasn't even sure how long she had been out of it. The last thing she remembered was being with her babies and...then it dawned on her. Her eyes went wide as she searched around for her babies. Upon not seeing them, memories came flooding back, of the large scaly nofooter, a blow out of nowhere...

She let out a few loud screeches of anguish and looked around. She could make out the tracks of the scaly nofooter clearly on the ground, but another pair of tracks were present, following close beside the scaly nofooter. The tracks were not of a sharptooth, but of a leaf-eater.

The mother fastbiter was perplexed. She would have expected a sharptooth to take her babies, but not a leaf-eater. Those types of dinosaurs would rather run than invade a sharptooth's nest. Then she recalled something else; the blow from behind came from a leaf-eater... What made this leaf-eater so different, so bold...?

But she knew now wasn't the time to think about why this happened. Doing her best to ignore her own physical pain, she began to follow the tracks, growling softly. Whoever took her children were not going to get away with it.

Meanwhile, the scaly nofooter and the sharptail were continuing towards Rona's home. They had just reached the edge of the forest where the sinking sands were located. They didn't know the exact location, so they took great care in avoiding the middle part of the forest. It was a relief to them knowing that Rona's place wasn't far from here.

The only sound they could hear, aside from their own breathing, was the baby fastbiters screeching loudly for their mother. They were biting the scaly nofooter's tail, but their attempts had no effect on the legless sharptooth.

The scaly nofooter quickly turned her head towards the kids. “I have been nice to you during this whole journey by not eating you. But if you continue to bite my tail..I can't hold any promises...” She hissed, squeezing the children tighter. The babies chirped in pain.

Immediately, the sharptail intervened. “Don't squeeze them so hard, Mad.” He said. “You don't want Rona to find out you killed them before she gave the order, do you?”

Mad hissed again and slightly weakened her grasp on the young ones. “I'm not afraid of Rona. But I will do as you say, for now.”

The sharptail narrowed his eyes. “You should consider yourself lucky that Rona allowed you to join her.”

Mad looked down at the sharptail. “And she should consider herself lucky that I honored her by joining. The only reason I decided to join her in the first place was because of those...unusual promises she made. If she breaks those promises...”

The sharptail looked angry. “How dare you speak of Rona like that! She is the one who gave you a purpose! And she offered you the chance to get revenge on that fastbiter for what it did to you in the past!”

Mad recalled how the fastbiter had gone into her nest and took her eggs while she was away. Not long after she met Rona, she was given the chance to hunt this particular fastbiter, and she had no objections to it. “Still, Gast, I see no reason to remain loyal to any leaf-eater unless there's something in it for me. What am I going to get when this is all over?”

Gast growled softly. “Impatient, now are we? You'll get what's coming to you, don't you worry.” He paused for a moment as he looked forward. “Ah, we're here.”

Out in front of them was a large, lone hill with a large boulder at the top. The two started to make their way up the hill. In a few minutes, they reached the top. Mad used her head and thick neck to push the boulder off, revealing a large hole in the ground.

Down below, there was a large, cavernous room. But it wasn't empty; it was populated by several dinosaurs, most of them being sharpteeth. At least one flyer was present, but its wing was broken. As soon as the dinosaurs found that there was light coming through, they looked up and began to make a commosion when they saw the scaly nofooter glaring down at them.

“We've brought some newcomers for you all!” She said as she held the baby fastbiters above the hole. She released them and watched as the babies fell down into the deep hole and landed on one of the leaf-eater prisoners, a small longneck.

When the boulder was pushed back over the opening and the light dimmed, the prisoners could hear the scaly nofooter and her partner make their way down the hill. When they were sure they were gone, they turned their attention to the babies.

The babies were frightened and immediately ran off into the corner, shivering. The prisoners remained quiet, watching the babies, most with saddened expressions. The dark room remained quiet, the only sounds being heard were breathing.

After a while, the longneck the baby fastbiters landed on spoke up. “Hello there...” The longneck was female and didn't look very old. She slowly approached the babies. “..it's all right. We're not going to hurt you.”

Another prisoner, the flyer, spoke as well. “We're all in the same predicament together. There's no reason for us to fight..unless we want to doom ourselves faster.” The flyer said in a masculine voice. He moved his wing and winced. “If only those scoundrels didn't break my wing...”

“Not like it would have made a difference...” Another young longneck, a male, said in a low growl. “They have flyers on their side as well..they would have stopped you.”

“Now there...” The female longneck said. “Don't be so negative.”

“Well what do you want me to say” The male longneck said, narrowing his eyes. “Our families don't know we're here. None of us have eaten in days. Who knows how long the sharpteeth in here will last before turning on everyone? And we've already tried to escape.”

The female longneck sighed and looked over at one of the prisoners, a bigclaw, who was leaning against the side, most of his large claws broken from the attempt at digging an opening out of here. She then looked at the sharpteeth, most of which were young fastbiters. They looked starved, but they hadn't yet tried to eat anyone in the room. The flyer had told them the sharpteeth were currently more interested in leaving than eating, but she knew they couldn't control themselves forever.

Before she could speak, the flyer spoke up again. “We aren't doing ourselves a favor by being pessimistic.” He said.

The male longneck glared at the flyer. “And you have some grand scheme to get us out of this?”

The flyer paused. “I've been through worse.”

The male longneck didn't look convinced. “Yeah right. What could be worse than being stuck in a dark hole in the ground and not knowing if you'll survive or see your family?”

The flyer was silent for a moment. Then he said, “Being physically able to see your family but having that stolen away from you due to being banned because of a mistake you made.” He turned his head away.

The male longneck's expression softened a little. “Oh. I'm sorry.”

The female longneck turned her attention back to the babies. She lowered her head and said, “As I said, no one here is going to harm you. Please come on out.” The babies remained where they were. She sighed. She couldn't blame them. Who knew what horror they had went through before they came here?

“We should be preparing for another young sharptooth soon.” The bigclaw, craning his small head up as he glanced up at the roof of the cave.

“What makes you say that?” The male longneck asked.

“While I was being taken away, I overheard one of them speak of a sharptooth their leader was interested in. A rare sharptooth that can speak leaf-eater.” The bigclaw said, swaying his short tail from side to side. “I imagine they reached him by now.”

It didn't take long for the two little longnecks to realize who they were talking about. They gave each other nervous looks and spoke at once. “Chomper..?”

Meanwhile, Tric had reached one of the entrances to the Great Valley. He had gotten a little lost on the way back, but was able to find his way to the valley. He walked into the opening, which lead into a large, sweet-smelling canyon filled with delicious fruit. But he knew he couldn't stop to eat now. He made his way towards the next opening and found himself in the Great Valley.

Him being a leaf-eater was the perfect disguise, or almost perfect anyway. He hoped the swimmer that got away didn't see him, or described him to anyone in the valley. To be on the safe side, he kept to the sections densely covered in foliage. His green body blended in almost perfectly.

He looked around, trying to think of where a sharptooth could hide in the valley. If Rona was correct, there was a small sharptooth residing in the valley. How she knew this, he didn't know, but he didn't question her about it. The last thing he wanted to do was give her a reason to be upset with him. Besides, how hard could it be to find one sharptooth?

Then he heard a familiar voice. He turned his heard towards one of the meadows in the valley. He slowly approached, taking care to get as close as possible without revealing his presence. He saw what looked like an old longneck talking with someone he couldn't see just yet. He moved in closer and when he saw who the longneck was talking to, his eyes went wide.

“Oh no...” Tric said, his voice low. He slowly frowned angrily, baring his teeth. “Not him... He'll ruin everything.” Before the dinosaur could see him, Tric immediately turned around and left. He had more important things to worry about anyway. He decided to look for some mud so he could disguise his coloration. That should make it easier for him to explore the valley without catching the eye of that little swimmer that got away.

The old longneck, who turned out to be Grandpa Longneck, continued to talk to the dinosaur before him, black and white skinned. The dinosaur reminded him of the mysterious dinosaur that the flyers had described, except this dinosaur had a clearly broken leg, fastened to its side by sticks and vines. Another difference was this dinosaur was clearly a four-footer, not the two-footer the flyers had described before. He decided the stranger was an unusual type of longneck.

“Well I hope you enjoy your stay here at the Great Valley.” Grandpa Longneck said, smiling softly. “Stay as long as you like while your leg heals.”

The black and white dinosaur  smiled gratefully. “Thank you, sir. I'll try not to get in the way of things.” He said in a male voice. He paused for a second and continued, “And I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble lately. I hope a crippled dinosaur like myself won't be much trouble.”

Grandpa Longneck shook his head. “No trouble at all.” He pointed his head towards one of the watering holes. “Now why don't you go get yourself something to eat and drink? You don't look very good.” He said, noting how hungry and thirsty the dinosaur looked.

The black and white dinosaur smiled again. “Yes, I shall do that.” He turned around and started to walk away.

Grandpa Longneck spoke up. “Oh, I didn't catch your name!”

The black and white dinosaur paused. “My name is Ateo.”

Grandpa Longneck smiled. “Welcome to the Great Valley, Ateo.”

As he watched the dinosaur leave, he turned his attention back to other matters. It had been a few hours since Tator had given them the information. The sharptooth hadn't left the Great Valley yet; he was confined to one of the other watering holes so that he wouldn't potentially cause trouble, either deliberately or by mistake.

He was unsettled by the disappearance of the dinosaurs as described. He thought back to the threehorn Ducky had talked about. Could the threehorn have something to do with the disappearance? And if so, why? Why would a leaf-eater, or any dinosaur for that matter, capture all these dinosaurs? Not even sharpteeth behaved in such a way.

Even Topsy had to admit that such behavior was abnormal even for a sharptooth. This was one of those rare times the stubborn threehorn had actually agreed with the old longneck on something. But that did little to comfort Grandpa Longneck. Knowing that didn't do much to explain why dinosaurs were suddenly acting in such a way. Could it have something to do with Sinking Sand Flats?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry this review is a couple days late. I didn’t notice the story had been updated at first. :oops

First off, I’m glad the mother fast biter isn’t dead. (Though, considering the darkness of the story, I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t survive to the end.)

Also, I love your Madtsoia character (to me she's one of the most original and intriguing OCs in the story so far), but her nameóMadósounds really strange, in my opinion. (No offense.)

Seems strange that the prisoners are being held without food, especially with sharpteeth being kept alongside prey species. Makes me wonder if the leafeater and halftooth prisoners are intended to be the food for the sharpteeth.

It’s rather obvious who the two longnecks in the prison are. :p (I’ve got a pretty good idea of who the flyer is, too.) And the fast biter family, I’m guessing, is the same one from “The Great Egg Adventure”. Other than that, though, you’re doing really well at keeping the story mysterious.

Didn’t you draw a picture of Ateo once? He’s a Plateosaurus, if I recall. Do you have an LBT name for his species?

Speaking of LBT names, I’m assuming the bigclaw is a therizinosaur of some type? Am I right?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Actually I was hoping someone would guess who the little longnecks and flyer were in that sequence. Originally I had their names, but decided to change it so that the readers can figure it out themselves without names being mentioned.

Yes, the bigclaw is a therizinosaurus. Originally I was going to use longclaw, but decided to use a different name.

As for Mad, the name Mad resulted in me wanted to use a name derived from her species (or group in this case) and the first thing that came to mind was Mad. I thought it was strange too, but it did sound different and unusual compared to some other names I came up with, in my opinion anyway, so I decided to stick with it. Perhaps Mad could just be a nickname she prefers to be called by, for some reason.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Well, I certainly had an idea about the flier *spazz*, but I hadn't realized about the longnecks until now. The flier's Pterano and the longnecks are Mrs. Mama and her babies.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Feb 7 2010 on  10:04 PM
Perhaps Mad could just be a nickname she prefers to be called by, for some reason.
*shrugs* I was going to say, although it's a strange name, it sounds like it could be short for something. A nickname...I like that better. :p

My guess for the flyer was the same as Ptyra's, but I figured that the longnecks were Ali and Rhett.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I apologize for not continuing this story. I haven't canceled it. I've just been busy lately, going to start another online college course, Computer Technology. It also doesn't help that I haven't had many ideas for the fanfic lately and have been contemplating starting over and rewriting the earlier chapters.