The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Favourite Authors?

Saft · 17 · 4782

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I suppose it would be a lie to say that I don't have a favourite author.  I do tend to read and actively search for specific authors when I go to the book store.  Yet I suppose liking books isn't really to do with the author names in themselves, although I am quite familiar that they did come up with the various concepts that are required when writing literature.  But I just mainly read anything.  Reading is always good for the mind.  And that isn't generally intellectually either.  But it's a good way to chill and imagine.  Which makes me sound completely blow-hearted and odd  :lol so...

Favourite authors:
- Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; For Crime.
-Tolkien, Rowling, Fiest, Dart-Thornton, Stroud and Nix; For Fantasy.
-Gemmell and Marillier; for Historical Fantasy.
-Saylor, Igguldon (Sp?), Pressfield and Cornwell; for historical.
-Stoker, Melville, Shaw, Homer, Hornby, Austen, Bronte, Suetonius, Plutarch, Juvenal.

:lol that's in book order on my shelf too!

What about you?

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
- Richard Adams
- Colin Dann
- Max Brooks

I don't read much. These are the only authors that I recall reading books of.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't read much at all either. But I do like some author's:

J.K. Rowling

And R.L. Stine.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
My favorite authors include Steven King, Michael Crichton, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, Tolkien, Kurt Vonnegut, Clive Barker. And many more I can't think of at the moment.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh yeah Steven King is a very good Horror Author.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
^I forgot about him. I've read The Mist recently (an ebook of it on my computer), The Green Mile in 5th grade (a teacher at my elementary school has the book in her room) and Bag of Bones in 6th grade (regretted buying this book, didn't like it that much).

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Harry Turttledove the best when it comes to alternate history books.

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
^ If you like alternate history, you should check out Peter Tsouras. I liked Disaster at D-Day

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As a fan of Bionicle, I just can't post in this topic without mentioning Greg Farshtey. His openness to occasionally allow fans to contribute to the official series is something I don't see a lot of other authors do. Even though the Bionicle sets have been discontinued, he is still writing new additions to the Bionicle storyline, though you have to search online to find them instead of buy another book.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Trust me, I have tons:
-Brian Jacques, Robert C. O'Brian, Christopher Paolini, Susan Fletcher, E.E. Knight, J.R.R Tolkien, Lois June Wickstrom, Anne Mccaffrey and Sir Thomas Malory for fantasy.

- H.G. Wells, Jean Lorrah and Jules Verne for Science Fiction.

- S.E. Hinton, Betsy Byars, Margaret Peterson Haddix, Homer, Colin Dann, George Orwell, Rodman Philbrick, William Golding and Sherry Garland for Drama.

- Marc Bekoff and Lawrence Anthony for Nonfiction

- William Shakespeare for Comedy,Tragedy and Romance.

- Bram Stoker, Stephen King, H.P. Lovecraft, Peter Benchley, Robert Bloch and Mary Shelley for Horror.

- Agatha Cristie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for Mystery.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Aug 17 2011 on  09:27 PM
Harry Turttledove the best when it comes to alternate history books.
I definitely agree, even though I have yet to read any of his books. I've only read summaries of some of them online, but it's definitely enough that I would love to actually read those books someday... if I can find enough time to do so.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Tolkien bRian jacques andCS Lewis for fantasy pasolini canm';t hold a candle to the three mentioned in the genre. Homer belongs in dram,a. Shakespeare covers romance comedy and tragedy. Christie and Doyle for whodunit. they invented the decetives on who we model dectectices, Sherlock Holmes , hercule poiriot and Miss Marple.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I saw the movie the mist once and it was a pretty decent movie based off his book.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
J.R.R. Tolkien, Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, C.S. Lewis, Margaret Weis (when teamed up with Tracy Hickman), Charles Dickins, Frank Peretti, Peter S. Beagle, Michael Ende, Michael Crichton, Stephen King, William Shakespear, Mary Shelley, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, R.L. Stine (for nostalgic purposes, he got me started as a reader with his Goosebumps series when I was a wee lad), Homer, and many others.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am a voracious reader, so it is a bit difficult to narrow down my favorites.  But I would have to say that my favorite authors for fictional works include Richard Adams, Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, and J.R.R. Tolkien.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

fanciful_flyer

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://https://reia73.wordpress.com/
I completely agree, I read based on the book itself rather than who wrote it, regardless of how I do or don't like a certain author. ^^ But again, some authors I really do tend to like a lot of their work.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
- Richard Adams
- James Gurney
- Laura Ingalls Wilder (ok, I know these books are for younger readers, but they bring back such memories when I read them! I can't exclude Laura. XD )
- Randall Jarrel (sp?)

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Well, since there are quite many names on my list, which half I have forgotten since I haven't read their works in awhile, I'm just going to list my most favorite sci-fi authors and couple other authors, okay?  :)

- Troy Denning
- Eric Nylund
- Tobias S. Buckell
- Kelly Gay
- Joseph Staten
- Lars Kepler
- Tess Gerritsen