The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why did they do this?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Why in the world did they start off lbt 2 with a song?  It really ruined the movie for me at least in the beginning.  It just started off so childish that I couldn't take the movie very seriously.  Not to mention that I couldn't concentrate on the movie cuz I had that song in my head the whole time.  Did anyone else have this problem?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It took some time for me to get used to the idea of singing dinosaurs. At first I turned the volume very low when watching LBT movies as I felt more embarassed by the songs than by my family members knowing that I watched LBT movies. LBT 2 did not include a song I was particularly fond of, but I liked Kids like us a lot. This one and "Always There" (along with the majority of songs which are no real "hits" but not bad either) converted me to support the idea of the songs. As for why they started the songs in the first place I have absolutely no idea. Sometimes the songs can explain things which would sound awkward or longwinded in "normal talk", but I doubt this is the reason for the songs. Maybe somebody in a deceicive position just liked music ;)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It took some time for me to get used to the idea of singing dinosaurs.

That's not exactly what I mean here.  It didnt' take me any time at all.  I like the song at the beginning of lbt 2, I just think that the very beginning is the worst place they could have put it.

I would also like to add that the songs are what make me embarrassed to watch lbt too.  I wouldn't be so embarrassed if there were no songs.  It just wouldn't be lbt without them though.  I sure hope they don't get rid of them.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
To describe the importance of the Great Valley and imply a reference to the events of the first movie the song was quite suitable. The importance of the Great Valley had to be underlined at the beginning of the movie to lay out the stage. It could have been done by a dialogue, but I don't think a dialogue would have gotten the message across as well as a song:

Littlefoot: "This Valley is awesome!"
Ducky: "Yep, yep, yep, it is!"
Petrie: "Me no have worries about being hungry anymore!"
Ducky: "Nope, nope, nope, neither have I!"
Cera: "It was so hard to get here! Now we're safe! Safe at last!"
Ducky: "Yep, yep, yep, we are!"

I admit that one could probably write a more fancy dialogue, but I think that a song was probably more handy to get the message across and to set the stage the message had to be at the very beginning of the movie.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Now I see.  That makes a lot of sense.  Thank you for giving me a logical answer and for providing examples. :D

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Maybe the songs were presented immediately to shower in a new dawn of LBT film and show kids that there will be songs to sing along with.  Complete with a tumbling rock across the words as they're being sung. :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

Didn't bother me at all.  I was 10 when it was released and my sister watched it with me.  We grew up with a lot of Disney so singing animals wasn't too strange for us.

trexmaster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I hate almost all the songs on LBT. They're generic kiddy-show junk and they add nothing to the story. I hope they cut them out.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I hate almost all the songs on LBT. They're generic kiddy-show junk and they add nothing to the story. I hope they cut them out.

I hate the songs as well and have been wanting them to cut the songs out since LBT6 or LBT7. No offense to those who like the songs though.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Maybe the whole idea of sing-a-longs was to make it seem that little more appealing to the younger audiences. Admitingly a lot of them seem very superfluous and pointless to the plot flow but it does help to break up the film a bit. Don't forget that kid's have a much short attention span than adults so something a little different from the norm will help keep interest. Also, adults seem to be compelled to see a movie out to the end and pass their judgement afterwards (unless they honestly dispised it to the degree that they'd leave part way through it). For a child, as soon as the next interesting thing comes along then they're off and they've completely forgotten about watching a film (this is coming from an uncle of a hyperactive 3-year old nephew  :^.^: ) If kids aren't constantly engaged with what they're doing, they'll break off and look for something else. I think, by including these sing-alongs, kids are offered the chance to engage in a little change of pace and perhaps even join in themselves. It kept them locked to it.

I think Malte got a response to an email he sent regarding the additional length of the original LBT that was sliced from the final cut. I think the reason was that Lucas and Spielberg felt that the overall length of the film was too much for kids of the targeted age to sit still and remain interested (please correct me if I'm wrong here Malte). Hence, the reduced +/-60mins LBT movie rather than Bluth's initially intended length.

Admittingly, as much as some of the songs are cute and nicely produced (in my opinion), they are a bit needless. I doubt the saga would be dealt a serious blow if the songs were to be dropped but it has now become somewhat "mainstream" so therefore, we can expected more of them from both the upcoming LBT 13 and future episodes of the TV Series.

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Personally, that doesn't bother me. Matter fact, the songs are great and that's good enough for me.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Personally, that doesn't bother me. Matter fact, the songs are great and that's good enough for me.

I agree with you completely.  I love the songs.  I was just wondering why they chose to start a sequal with a song.  It was pretty lame but I can see the logic in it now.

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm not too big on the songs either. A few were notable, but the rest were bad. Hehehe, and the worst of the worst would have to be Opps-eeps from the series. (shutters)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I actually took the plunge and listened to that....monstrosity.  <_<  I could see why its not a fan favorite.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i like most of the songs in the series except for a select few, like oops-eeps like kingdomkey23 stated. I'm also getting tired of hearing "I feel so happy" so many times as well. Other then those, i think i like all the others.

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Man, "I feel so happy" has become so repetitive, it wouldn't hurt to cone up with something else. (Thinks about how the series created Oops-epps) On second thought, maybe they're better off with I feel so happy. XD

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I haven't heard all of the series songs and therefore can't say much about them. So far I have been willing to accept the poor songs so long there are good ones as well. I wouldn't want to miss "No one has to be alone", "Always there", "And bestest Friends" even if it means taking "Who needs you", "Me and my Dad", or "The lesson" into account.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
For me, the songs range from utter crap(Oops-Eeps), to decent(Chanson D'Ennui), to just awesome(Big Water), and even fun(I always air banjo with an idiot grin on my face during Legend of the Lone Dinosaur). I guess I wouldn't care too much either way, but if I had to pick, I'd keep the songs(with a rule: "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it." See: Adventuring), because I find that, as long as the crap is kept to a minimum, as it currently is, it's worth enduring to find the gems.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Are you guys kidding? When I first saw lbt 2 I loved the song, it's one of the best they've made. Since I watched lbt 3 and 4 before watching 2, maybe it wasn't such a surprise.
As for the songs in the series, I first liked the "I feel so happy" one,but know I'm tired of it. They shouldn't repeat the songs so much, and the way they adapt the lyrics just ruins it for me, the series don't need songs, and if they did they could make up new songs with the same lyrics like the ones in the sequels.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
while not a necessity, it seems like many sequels to cartoons are musicals, the 2 I can think of off the top of my head are the LBT (of course) and Fox and the Hound, which I liked both, however many people are just as bothered as I was thrilled by a sequel, music or not