The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Full screen in Windows 8

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just got a new computer (my old kicked the bucket last night) that has Windows 8 installed.  Now, I will say up front that Windows 8 has already not made a good first impression on me and several features (or lack thereof) have made me want to bang my head against the wall, notably the lack of a "start" button in the task bar, that stupid "metro" screen, and the fact that this OS was obviously designed for touch screens and tablets, not laptops.  Still, I can live with those problems.  In fact, I downloaded a 3rd party app that basically adds the "start" menu to the task bar and comes with he option of disabling the "metro" screen.

The issue that has made me want to launch an assault on the structural integrity of my house with my forehead is the fact that every time I try to run something in full screen, there are about two inches of blank, black boxes on either side of the screen.  I installed Flight Simulator 2004 and it runs better than ever before.  This is the first computer I've ever had that can run that game with the graphics and display settings maxed and not have a single frame rate issue.    I'd love to be able to see it in full screen though.

So anyway, do any of the more computer savvy users here have any possible solutions?  Preferably solutions that don't involve installing a separate OS? :bang