The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Flash Drives

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Now if only there was a way to write-protect them...

You can.  Some flash drives have the little notch like floppy disks used to have or if you don't have one of those there are some programs that will protect your flash drive from being written to unless you enter a password (I'm not talking about the password encryption file system garbage).

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Wow...  I'd love to get my hands on a reliable piece of software that would do that, then!
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think it's called bitlocker or something.  It's freeware but I must warn you that it is NOT user friendly.  Took me forever to be able to encrypt my drive with write protection.  It's a good thing I backed up all the data that was on it first though.  I had to format the drive 8 times before I finally got it right. <_<

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm; what file systems does it support?

And, will the encryption still be in effect if you were to, say access the drive in Linux?
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
They are a marvelous invention!
I use them everyday, I'm sure we all do, more or less.
Mine...is broken!  :lol:  But I fixed it with my solder!  :^.^:
It looks great now, without any plastic cover!  :P:

/Lillefot
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, Lillefot...  Good job!  But, just be careful with it...

How did you manage to break it, anyway?  Those are tough...

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: NeptuneNavigator2001,May 5 2008 on  02:18 AM
Wow, Lillefot...  Good job!  But, just be careful with it...

How did you manage to break it, anyway?  Those are tough...
HAHA! Well, it was plugged in to my PC out in my cottage, this kind of flash drive stick out like 3 cm when plugged in.
And as I was leaving the computer... I rose my leg and more or less "kicked" it!
It got broken in two, and I was like: n...no..NO!  :lol:
I had many weeks work on that one! (I make backups often)
So, I brought some stuff, and thanked god that I know how to handle a solder! :P:
Now it works again! Though the solding looks amateur!  :^.^:
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, at least you got it working again! :lol: Be thankful that you know how to handle a soldering iron! :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Soldering most things isn't too hard, but a flash drive would be.  I've done the same thing before with my leg, but it just broke the plastic off.  I now have a flash drive that's just a piece of metal.  Pretty cool looking, but I've gotta keep it clean otherwise the data might get erased or the drive could become physically damaged.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They are very neat and handy things, and very small for something that hold so much data.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm, well, except for my LP-ripping computer, all of my computers are off the floor, on tables...  (Actually, my other computer is sitting on my Pac-Man arcade machine, nonetheless...  With no other place to put it, well...)  So, I've never had that happen.  And, when I did have my flash drive plugged into that computer - for transferring files - it was plugged into one of the two USB ports in the back of the computer, and the way I have it set up, I seriously doubt I would actually get near the back of the computer, and kick the flash drive...  :P:
BTW, landbeforetimelover, could you post a link to that write-protecting program?  The freeware one?  I can't seem to find anything about it online...  And maybe some other people here would find it useful, too...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like the idea of a solid state drive better then a hard drive, though obviously hard drives do have their advantages, one obvious one being price.  The whole flash drives and media is a good idea of who ever thought it up, I'm glad they did and could develop it.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, I know...  It's a good concept...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm just waiting for the day when solid-state drives are fast enough to start replacing mechanical hard drives (which fail way too easily).  Flash drives are still painfully slow compared to normal hard drives.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That will be a good day, I"m waiting for that day as well.  Hope it arrives sooner rather then later.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree that hard drives tend to fail so easily...  It's not a nice thing...! :bang

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, I've had some that didn't last long, I"m glad the current ones have.    That is one of the pluses of one of the small subnotebook pc's I"m thinking of getting.  It has no harddrive but uses a solid state drive instead, though a small one.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hard drives are a joke.  Just a few days ago, a client brought his computer back to me.  I had replaced his little 80gig hd with a new 320gig hd only a little over a year ago and it had already failed.  I tried to talk to the company about warranty but all they would do is repair it and I had to pay for shipping there and back! :angry: What a joke!  The guy just bought another HD from me, this time a 500gb for only $119.  It was worth it to him so he could get his computer working that DAY instead of a WEEK or two from then.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Guess I'm lucky then...my original desktop I bought back in '02 still has its original HD in it and that computer is almost on 24/7.  Granted there are two other (larger) drives in it, but still.  My external 250GB one is going on over two years now without a problem.  I've had flash drives that don't connect to the computer so I can say quite the reverse for my experience. ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've read certain brands are better then others as far as flash drives are concerned.