The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Might Buy New Server

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm thinking of buying a new server from HP.  I do have a very large server myself, but I'd like to have one that doesn't take up an entire room and drive my mom crazy. :p I've had my eye on this for some time, and I might just get it:

It has 4 processors.  Each of them are 2.93ghz Xeon quad-core processors.  It has the available slots for up to 16 drives at 32tb each, and it has 8GB of ram standard and is expandable to up to 256gb with 32 x 8 GB DIMMs.  I couldn't find any 32tb hard drives anywhere.  I suppose they're just preparing for the future.  The largest HD I've seen is 1tb, but obviously they intend to keep expanding them.  I just double checked and my main server is mostly made up of computers that are P3 and P4 (and some very old ones I never got rid of.  I even have a 486 in there. :wow )  Total space is around 40tb.  It was larger, but I took a lot of them off that were just taking up space.  Enough is enough is what my mom said.  She doesn't want to keep paying the electric bill because of my server.  I have to upgrade to 1 unit.  It will have less processing power, but that doesn't really matter to me.  I suppose I could pop in 16 1tb hard drives into the thing, but that still brings my available storage from 40tb to 16tb. <_< I guess it's something I have to live with.  Every GB becomes more and more precious as I hear my mom talking.  She might make me take apart my server soon, and that's gonna be really bad for me.  I really don't want to buy this, but I don't see I have much choice. :(  

If this happens, I'm going to have to take a LONG break from GOF because I'll be in debt.  I already have over $5,000 of it, but I need to buy hard drives and ram as well.  I haven't exactly been saving too much recently.  I've been selling my computers and replacing them, using up most of the money I made from the computers I sold.  I haven't been making too smart of decisions lately and now I have to pay the price. :cry

I really want the $16,000 server, but there's no way I can afford that unless I sell my car. -_-

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If bad comes to worse, we'll miss you, LBTlover.

A number of people here know what it's like to make poor spending money decisions.  You're not alone with being in debt.  It's easy to make mistakes like that, especially with all the temptations out there.  You seriously need to be careful.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I hope things turn out the way you want them... We'll miss ya here if you're gone for some time, and will always look forward to the return of our computer man :^.^:

Hope you're doing okay.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Being in debt is never a good thing.  Maybe you can save up the rest before you purchase it and thus can avoid going into debt.