The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

OEM OS's Can Just Bite Me!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I swear, ya just can't use factory partitions or disks that came with your computer to format it. :bang I wiped my school laptop using the original Toshiba disk only 4 months ago and I need to format it AGAIN!  It lasted a year before that.  Using the original disk puts all that trailware crap.  You can uninstall it, but it's just never the same as a retail install. :( Problems creep up that just don't exist with retail versions.  The friggin CD/DVD drive isn't showing up anymore for some reason, it's slower than crap at startup (about 6 full minutes!), and overall performance is sluggish at best.  I have 4 other laptops here that I put retail installs on over a year ago and they're all fine!  On top of that, I actually USE those laptops!  I don't do ANYTHING with my school laptop but type crap up in Word and use Photoshop now and again.  It can't even do that now.  Seriously people, use the disks I have on my server if you want to format your computer.  OEM Software and OS's SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Sorry about the rant, but it's just been frustrating these past few days.  One of my hard drives on my personal server crashed and I lost nearly 300gb of data.  I pay so much money for SCSI drives because of their dependability....then this happens!  SCSI is about $1 a gig, so that's $300 down the toilet!  On top of that, my master machine got a TERRIBLE case of malware and I had to do a format, which took 5 hours because like an idiot, I accidentally installed Vista x32.  I only noticed it when I looked and it said I only had 4gb of ram when I really had 6gb. :bang

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I understood about two sentences of that rant, but I bet it's frustrating. and when you're smarter than the tech support, there's not really anyone you can turn to for help. Not sure if any of the data is saveable, but at worst I hope you don't lose any more.

And 6 minutes is about the time it takes my computer to start up. My old one was even worse, even after defragmenting. You get used to it, if you can't fix it.