The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Hi

Danosaur

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hi! I’ll warn all of you in advance that I’m terrible at introductions so the following paragraph may seem quite awkward...

I am Danosaur, or just Dan if you want to refer to me by my actual name, and I am currently 18 and will soon be studying Film and Media at university. I am a huge fan of all types of animation, and have been since I was around 13 years old. (Weirdly, I was much more into live-action stuff when I was a child.) Since I started an interest in animation, Don Bluth has always been my favourite animator, and a lot of his films are some of my favourites of all time. I originally took a large interest in The Secret Of NIMH, but more recently upon re-watching The Land Before Time I think that has taken the spot as my favourite of his films, and I have started watching through all of the sequels and TV series and lurking on here for about a year or so. (I’ve seen all of the TV series but I still need to get around to watching the 10th, 11th and 13th film.)

Because I can’t think of what to write next (again, awkwardness) here are some random facts about me:

-As stated earlier, animation is my favourite type of film, and my favourites include all of Don Bluth’s work, a lot of anime films such as Ghost In The Shell, Perfect Blue and Ninja Scroll (although my favourite anime film is called You Are Umasou, and is coincidentally another dinosaur film), and also I am a big fan of animation from my home country of the UK, especially Watership Down, The Plague Dogs, When The Wind Blows and Animal Farm. Despite this, my favourite animated film of all time is Walt Disney’s Bambi.

-I live in England, in the north-west where everyone basically talks like ëyer warra ye gonna do abarr it lad m8 yeah????’ I swear sometimes I am the only person in my area who can actually spell.

-My favourite Land Before Time is the original, obviously, but I love the sequels and the TV series aswell. My favourite character from the films is a tie between Petrie and Ducky, and Ruby is my favourite in the series.

-Other than animation, my favourite live-action films include RoboCop, Die Hard, Pulp Fiction, Jurassic Park, Jaws, DragonHeart, Commando, Hard Boiled, Battle Royale and Shaun Of The Dead (all pretty clichÈd and obvious choices, I know.)
-I also watch a lot of TV series but there are way too many of them to list here, I’m currently in the middle of watching Gravity Falls, Spooks and Arrested Development.

-I would consider myself a video game fan but it’s mainly restricted to the 32-bit era of the PlayStation, Saturn, Dreamcast etc. My favourite video game of all time is Spyro The Dragon (I’d probably consider him my favourite fictional character of all time aswell)

-I collect VHS tapes and LaserDiscs. My LaserDisc collection is fairly small as they are very expensive and hard to find in the UK because the format was pretty much nonexistent here (My most prized laserdisc is probably the CAV collectors’ edition of the first LBT film) My VHS tape collection is currently sitting at 1052 tapes.

-I am absolutely hopeless at drawing/writing, which I know is very unusual for an animation fan as everyone else seems to be great at drawing fan-art and such.
-I’ve never been able to make many friends in real life, which is why I try to make as many online as I can, but I am quite the introvert and have a lot of problems with real contact.

-I am blind in one eye. (Random fact, but it’s the only other notable thing I can think of now.)

So, feel free to ask me any questions and I hope I don’t come across as too awkward.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forums! :wave
I'm awkward as well, more so in real life.
What are some of your favorite hobbies? Other than collecting VHS tapes and LaserDiscs.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Hey Dan, welcome to the GOF! Nice to meet another user from England, though I don't have a fancy accent like you northerners  :p

You said you like anime, do you like any manga as well?

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey there, and welcome to the GOF! Hope your stay here is a pleasant one!

Danosaur

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,Aug 29 2013 on  12:08 AM
Hey Dan, welcome to the GOF! Nice to meet another user from England, though I don't have a fancy accent like you northerners  :p

You said you like anime, do you like any manga as well?
I like some manga, but I wouldnt call myself a major fan. My favourite would be Gon (another dinosaur one, but that has no dialogue and relies on artwork to tell the story which I really love. You might recognise the character Gon from one of the Tekken games if you know them.) I used to read Naruto and Bleach mangas religiously but I lost interest a while ago.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
You might recognise the character Gon from one of the Tekken games if you know them
The little yellow guy who had a move where he farted? Oh god, I remember him...

Danosaur

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,Aug 29 2013 on  12:19 AM
You might recognise the character Gon from one of the Tekken games if you know them
The little yellow guy who had a move where he farted? Oh god, I remember him...
That's the guy, from Tekken 3! He is slightly less annoying when in manga and anime form to be fair.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Welcome to the GOF!  It is always nice to meet a new member of the forum.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum, always great to see a new member join.  

One thing about animated film and tv series is it's easier to do certain things then in live action.  Though less so with using cgi with live action.  Like in science fiction one can have alien looking aliens before there was cgi, instead of only humans with prosthetics on.  & other benefits also.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 And welcome to GoF! :DD .

Right now internet is acting-up so only now i can enter GoF (GoF been the only page with problems), but I am liking that you made a big intro post. I hope you'll get to have great fun here :smile .

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey Dan and welcome to the Gang of Five! :) Feel free to call me Iris or Mumbling, whichever one you prefer.

Bambi is truly a beautiful animated movie. I personally also like many of the Disney classics released in the 90's :)

We've got a video game section and also a section for film/tv series, so I'm sure you can find something there (or make your own topics, of course!) ^^

See you around

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
And here we have a lovely introduction actually giving us a good idea who we are talking to and making us look forward to see your future post Danosaur and nothing awkward about that :yes
It is always a pleasure to welcome new members to our community and great it is when they share some of their interests in the introduction already. No doubt you will find threads here that will capture your interest and at the same time you are hearty invited to create threads of your own.
Welcome with us! :)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Welcome to the GoF :wave

I bet you'll make many friends here! :lol:
Inactive, probably forever.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Welcome to The Gang Of Five, Danosaur! :smile (Great choice of username, by the way. :lol)

Like Malte, I always love seeing a new member gives such a thorough introduction to themselves and their interests. :DD I too assure you that your introduction was very well done. :smile

Enjoy yourself on the forum! Just ask if you need help finding anything or understanding how anything works. :angel

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey! Another Bambi fan! :wave
Welcoem to the GoF! Wow! Those are some impressive credentials there :smile
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Hello there, Dan! Welcome to the GoF! I'm sure you'll have a great time here! I go by the name of Molly, but you can also all me by my nicknames of Molsy, Ram, Rammy, Ramolly, etc. :DD I suppose people don't want to spell out my entire username. :lol

I'm also from England. So, you're in the North West? I'm from the West Midlands, and we still have our fair share of people who talk in the way you described. :lol

Wow! That sounds like a big collection of VHS tapes you got there. I don't know where my parents put all of the VHS tapes when we switched to DVD (I'm guessing probably the loft), but we used to have draws full of them. :p

I'm a bit awkward too. Actually, more so on the internet than in real life. I'm good at talking to people face to face but not so good at talking about stuff on the internet. Don't really know why that is. :unsure:

Anyway, it is indeed nice to see someone posting so much about themselves in their intro post (I was one of those who said all about me in about 5 lines). You sound like a very interesting guy. :yes

See you around! :wave

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Danosaur

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Aug 29 2013 on  07:25 PM
Hey! Another Bambi fan! :wave
Welcoem to the GoF! Wow! Those are some impressive credentials there :smile
Bambi seems to be one of the more obscure Disney films in terms of fanbase, most people generally prefer the 90s Disney films but the original 5 from the 30s and 40s are the best for me.
Also, I have to say that your avatar is one of the most adorable things I've ever seen.

Danosaur

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Huge thanks to everyone who has posted welcoming replies! I'm honestly surprised at how many people thought my opening post was particularly high-quality.  :lol: