The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Saddest song you ever heard?

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
"If I Can't Love Her", from the Beauty and the Beast Musical...
God, that song is depressing...

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
In my Junior history class, I had a project to do for the Trail of Tears. I did something that told a story about a mother and child being separated and eventually reuniting in Oklahoma.

And what did I listen to!?

Somewhere Out There!

Boy was THAT a mistake because I got pretty sniffly!

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Crown of Love - Arcade Fire
Dustland Fairytale - Killers
Titanium - David Guetta
One by One - Enya... literally, I was SOBBING my eyes out during this song. Beautiful and painful, and reminded me of certain family issues :p
Also, If You Could See me Now - the Script :(

Enya-
Here am I, yet another goodbye
He says, Adios says, Adios says, Adios goodbyw.
And do you know why she won't break down and cry?
She says Adios says, Adios says, Adios, goodbye

Script -
It was February fourteen, Valentine's Day

The roses came, but they took you away

Tattooed on my arm is a charm to disarm all the harm

Gotta keep myself calm but the truth is you're gone

And I'll never get to show you these songs

Dad, you should see the tours that I'm on,

I see you standing there next to Mom

Always singing along, yeah arm in arm

And there are days when I'm losing my faith

Because the man wasn't good he was great

He'd say music was the home for your pain

And explain, I was young, he would say

"Take that rage, put it on a page

Take the page to the stage

Blow the roof off the place"

I'm tryna make you proud

Do everything you did

I hope you're up there with God

Saying that's my kid
:cry
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmm...let me see...

Sand and Water by Beth Nielsen Chapman (the whole album) has some pretty sad songs on it...and it only becomes worse when you find out her husband was dying of cancer when she wrote it.

Come To My Garden from the Secret Garden musical...the tune is uplifting, but half the song is the ghost of a mother singing to her kid.

Aubrey by Bread.

For Good from Wicked.

Someone already said "I'll Cover You (Reprise)" from Rent, didn't they?

Probably none of you will have heard of these, but "Faust", "Beauty and the Beast (Phantom's Theme)", and "Old Souls" from Phantom of the Paradise - basically Phantom of the Opera meets Faust in the 70s.

Wait, I've got it; the Casper soundtrack (written by JAMES HORNER). Several of the instrumental tracks on it are just astounding; beautiful, yet with a sad undertone in places, such as "The Lighthouse - Casper and Kat", "Fond Memories" and "The Uncles Swing/End Credits" (although that one's sort of uplifting at the same time).

And of course, Whispering Winds from the Original Land Before Time soundtrack. Heck, lots of the music in that pretty sad yet beautiful at the same time.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"Not As We" by Alanis Morissette. That was the song I related to most the first time I had my heart broken, and it really does capture the essence of a particularly bad breakup.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Strange Fruit by Billie Holliday. Both the saddest and most terrifying song I have ever heard. When I first listened to it, I literally broke out into a cold sweat, and then in tears.

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Any song by Martina McBride, and a few Carrie Underwood songs like Just A Dream. I usually don't listen to country music, but alot of country ballads are really depressing and I'm just like UGH! :bang . Thinking Of You by Katy Perry is also kind of sad, especially the music video.  :cry Also, Summer Love by One Direction is sad and beautiful. <3

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
"Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child"

Any version of this song really. I would have not looked it up if it wasn't for Songza, and it's one of my favorite songs from Americana. Just knowing where it came from and why it was written just evokes a lot in me.

"551"- Dessa

Dessa was the lead vocal in the band "Doomtree" which wrote within the East Coast rap genre, but added their own underground flair. The song itself has powerful lyrics and a slow tempo, but I love the use of strings in it.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Any of Ke$ha's sadder songs such as "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" and "The Harold Song". (She actually sounds better singing sadder songs than party music, now that I've listened to her sadder songs. I don't listen to a lot of sad songs.) I could also say "Rain" by Hollywood Undead.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 This song always makes me have a feeling of sadness:
Always Remember To Respect And Honour Your Mother by Dusted.

Danosaur

• Ruby
    • View Profile
My top sad songs would be the original Kate Bush version of 'This Woman's Work' (Which usually does top the sad songs list from people in the UK, because that song has become well-known here from an advert for a child abuse charity) and 'Hello' by Evanescence, although you could include a lot of their songs.

Special mention also goes to 'Bullet' by Hollywood Undead, which somehow manages to be one of the saddest and one of the happiest songs of all time. You could have a good upbeat dance to it if you weren't paying attention to the lyrics.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
'This Bitter Earth' by Dinah Washington. Never fails to wipe the smile from my face, but it's still a good song to listen to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmEhO1OiEkY

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't know if it necessarily is the saddest song that I have ever heard, but &quot;Dolphin&#39;s Heart&quot;
"Dolphin's Heart" by Luca Turilli is certainly on my list.  This song tells the tale of a dolphin who saves a young boy from drowning in the sea in Italy, but later the dolphin is found dead, having been killed by a fisherman.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My heart will go on, from Titanic... sung by a 9 yrs old... so touching, you need to listen to her she sings like a pro and with emotions.
Here it is&#33;
Here it is!
Inactive, probably forever.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
One of my favorite bands, Five Finger Death Punch, makes some real bada** music, but some of their songs are so sad to me that they can make me cry.  Their songs "M.I.N.E. (End This Way)", "Cold", "The Wrong Side of Heaven", "Remember Everything", and "Far From Home" can get me going.  To me, the fact that a band which seems so rough around the edges is also willing to show their emotional side, says a lot about them.  I love it when men are not afraid to show their emotional side.  Our society has taught them wrong in that real men don't get emotional, which is BS as far as I'm concerned.  Being emotional simply means that you're human.

U2's "With Or Without You" makes me emotional as well.

I am the Great IB

• Chomper
    • View Profile
My Heart Will Go from Titanic

A Thousand Years by Christina Ricci gets me pretty emotional/sad but that's just me relating it  to a friend I am currently waiting to return after 4 years  and will probably keep waiting not knowing how long or if she'll ever return.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
"Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride.  Tell me this doesn't make you think of Judith Barsi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtNYA4pAGjI

"Independence Day", another pretty powerful one by Martina McBride about domestic abuse.  The music video make it even worse.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Sep 6 2014 on  09:13 PM
"Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride.  Tell me this doesn't make you think of Judith Barsi.

I've heard an urban legend that implies that song is indeed about Judith Barsi.  Not that urban legends are entirely reliable sources of information, but who knows besides McBride herself?

"Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri is heartwrenching.  I know it's about her divorce from her addict ex-husband (she got sober after she left him), but I think any of us can say we know someone with a heart of stone who loves to tear others down.  I can't listen to this song unless I'm feeling really sad...otherwise, it'll make me that way.

"Save Our Last Goodbye" by Disturbed is about losing a loved one.  I've had a lot of friends lose loved ones within the last two weeks, which makes this track even more intense to listen to.

"Digging My Own Grave" by Five Finger Death Punch is also sad.  It's about having to live with the regret of making difficult decisions.  Since most of their music is aimed at the military audience, their focus is probably on how to readjust to civilian life, but they also make most of their songs written so that anybody can relate to them.