The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

GOOD things about BAD movies

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
What are some good things you think came out of bad movies?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
The stunt work in the first Dungeons and Dragons movie was good.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://mf217.deviantart.com/
While several notable people consider We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story to be bad, I actually personally enjoyed the movie. It doesn't exactly hold up well entirely, yes, but it does have a general likable cast of characters, an interesting villain (with a deleted scene I had wished they had kept in), and a generally like Neweyes for how nice and friendly the guy is towards others.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:
Marty
3695-0507-9451
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
If there is one thing I am willing to credit We're Back for, its successfully giving us a creepy villain.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Bad thing is the movie was horrible. The plot made no sense the characters where not that good even the bad guys where boring.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As crummy as the Star Wars prequels were at times, there are still some genuinely good things to be found.

1. The John Williams music was still always top notch.

2.  I actually like Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan.  Sometimes he feels like the only actor who was actually trying.

3. The lightsaber duel with Darth Maul.  Really the only thing about Phantom Menace that I actually enjoyed.

4. This scene.  Again, there's no denying that most of the time, the acting in the prequels was wooden at best.  Still, I found this scene to be genuinely sad and heart wrenching, again because of Ewan McGregor's performance.  

5. Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith was so hammy and over the top that it's hard to hate the guy.  You can tell Ian McDiarmid was having a lot of fun with the part.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The Scorpion King was one of the most awful action movies to hit theatres but...

Alright, "The Rock" has an absolute blast playing the hero and I had a fricking blast watching him.

The whole movie was campy and over-the-top and completely impossible to take with ANY seriousness whatsoever. If you aren't looking for anything great, you know what, this movie was entertaining as hell.

Definitely one of the corniest action movies you'll ever see but this movie seems to know that and adjusts accordingly. The badasses are badass, the comedy is all over the place and the story is absolutely insane. It's too much fun to call "bad" even though on paper it's pretty horrible.  :p

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Apr 20 2016 on  05:38 PM
The Scorpion King was one of the most awful action movies to hit theatres but...

Alright, "The Rock" has an absolute blast playing the hero and I had a fricking blast watching him.

The whole movie was campy and over-the-top and completely impossible to take with ANY seriousness whatsoever. If you aren't looking for anything great, you know what, this movie was entertaining as hell.

Definitely one of the corniest action movies you'll ever see but this movie seems to know that and adjusts accordingly. The badasses are badass, the comedy is all over the place and the story is absolutely insane. It's too much fun to call "bad" even though on paper it's pretty horrible.  :p
My dad actually loves watching movies from that franchise. Not sure what he thinks of them, but almost every time he gets the chance when they're on TV he'll watch them.

As for another example about a bad movie I find some good things in, there's this movie we all know called Jurassic Park III. Now, bare in mind, anything good about this movie was negated long after I had first seen the film as a kid. HOWEVER, when I had seen the film as a kid, I had never seen a battle between a Tyrannosaurus and another Dinosaur in which Tyrannosaurus flat out loses in a one on one fight. Also, I had even rarely seen other predatory Dinosaurs go up against Tyrannosaurus either. So seeing the newcomer Spinosaurus show up in the movie and outright kill the T. rex was astounding to me as a kid, and it showed me that Tyrannosaurus wasn't always an "invincible" type of Dinosaur in media.

That said, however, I do believe Dino Crisis 2 ended up handling this situation a lot more better even if Dino Crisis 2 had also exaggerated the Giganotosaurus that kills the T. rex. Why does Dino Crisis 2 hold up more than the above mentioned JPIII fight? Because Giganotosaurus could very well have mauled Tyrannosaurus if they ever met so long as Tyrannosaurus didn't manage to pull off the instant kill neck bite.

Also, another thing I enjoyed about JPIII was how they depicted Pteranodon when it was on the ground; walking on all fours. I didn't see this rendition of Pteranodon prior to this movie, so this was ultimately just as big of news to me as seeing Pteranodon diving into water like Gannets in Jurassic World.
Marty
3695-0507-9451
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Did you see the others? There's like five of them now.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: ADFan185,Apr 20 2016 on  01:07 PM
Bad thing is the movie was horrible. The plot made no sense the characters where not that good even the bad guys where boring.
We're talking about bad things in good movies. Get on topic, please.

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Apr 20 2016 on  06:35 PM
We're talking about bad things in good movies. Get on topic, please.
Actually the topic title says we're talking about good things in bad movies (plus he was referring to "We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story" when he had posted that), so I'll just bring up my next personal example. This one is going to be controversial to Godzilla fans to say the least, since this is speaking more positively about the 1998 Film.

Admittedly, the 1998 film doesn't hold up as much nowadays, especially when compared to not just the 2014 film, but also when compared to the sequel animated series as well. However, if anything, Godzilla's Power Breath attack in the 1998 film did serve as some minor foreshadowing for something that would be brought back for the animated series; the Atomic Breath.

See, the thing about the original Godzilla in the 1998 film is, because of it being the very first of its kind, it lacks much of the attributes associated with Godzilla in regards to abilities such as durability and attacks. This is very simple because the mutations it had gone through were only just enough to produce the 60 meter tall, Theropod-like animal we know of the creature today.

By the time of the animated series, there were offspring within the film that never had a chance to mature. Offspring of mutated animals have a chance to differ even drastically from the parent basically. The Godzilla that later goes on to star in the animated series has several noteworthy traits. Larger size, increased durability, regeneration, highly intelligent, sterile, and of course, the Atomic Breath, and combined with the abilities it would naturally inherit from the parent, such as the burrowing, the agility, and the overall body structure.

In other words, the Godzilla from the 1998 is simply meant to "bridge the gap" between a Marine iguana and the Godzilla we see in Godzilla: The Series. It was never intended to so much as survive the end of the film; it did exactly what it needed to do by producing offspring on its own and having at least one of said offspring survive in the end, and thus said offspring puts the God back into Godzilla as a result of this as we see come true in the animated series.
Marty
3695-0507-9451
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Eye Eye Captain What I did like about the movie was John Goodman who voiced the main character.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yoda vs. Count Doku in Star Wars - Episode 2.  Come on!  You know that was awesome and worth sitting through the terrible movie for.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah I was very impressed to see yoda move so fast. It was a great part to sit through.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I have to disagree on the point about Yoda. He's a guru character. He should have defeated Dooku just using the Force. He and the Emperor should never pick p a lightsaber.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Nah your wrong that was the best part of the movie. Oh of course he could of killed dooku but than they couldn't milk a sequel out of it. In episode three it was Anakin Skywalker who killed dooku in the beginning of the third episode movie.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Another Star Wars one.  The Star Wars prequels may have been crap, but they gave us "Star Wars: The Clone Wars", which was by far WAAAAAAAAAY better than the prequels themselves.  

Sure the first couple seasons started out slow, but it got really good later on.  Lots of action, some decent stories, great characters, and their version of Anakin is actually a lot more mature and responsible.  Also, the Jedi are shown not to be as virtuous as the movies depicted them, resorting to mind torture to get information out of a prisoner, and particularly in the final season where the Jedi Council was willing to throw Ahsoka under the bus to save face.  This is heavily implied to have caused Anakin to lose faith in the Jedi and led him closer to the dark side.  I rolled my eyes when I heard the show had brought Darth Maul back, but after watching it, I feel that the story arc involving Darth Maul is actually quite good.  All in all, Anakin's fall to the Dark Side is far more believable here, not to mention far more tragic since he's actually a likable character in TCW.  So at least some good came from the crummy prequels.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Another Star Wars one. The Star Wars prequels may have been crap, but they gave us "Star Wars: The Clone Wars", which was by far WAAAAAAAAAY better than the prequels themselves.

Yes! 100% true! Clone Wars is a wonderful series. They even made Jar-Jar a likable character, which is impressive. Have you watched any of Star Wars: Rebels? The first season is part 'meh,' part 'space Aladdin,' but the second season really got intense. And what a finale! Waiting on the third now- it's starting to get promising.
The one really annoying thing they did was bring Darth Maul back again. I am getting really sick of that guy, and there are so many other great characters they could explore in that role.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, they shouldn't have brought Maul back in Rebels.  But you know how Disney likes to milk popular characters.