The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Super Planet Crash

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A little something I found yesterday.

http://www.stefanom.org/super-planet-crash/
(The link to the actual game is at the top of this article.)

This is quite a neat game. The objective is to create a solar system that can remain stable for 500 game years. If just one planet either crashes into another or gets flung outside, you lose. You always start with just one Earth-mass planet, but you can always add more with either the same or higher masses. You get more points for more planets and more massive planets.

After over a dozen tries, I've had only one success for far. Sadly, I did not think to save the link, but I do remember getting a score of just over 190,000. (Compared to some other high scores I've seen, that's actually not much.)

Go ahead and give it a try.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A rather fun and interesting game.  Here is my best showing thus far.  Only survived 271 years though.

Edit: I Finally made it to 500 years with 69,794,848 points.  The dwarf star adds a lot to the point total, as does crowding planets in the habitable zone in order to get the resulting point bonuses, but it radically disrupts the stability of the system as you would expect.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I tend to be very careful with mine to create a stable system, but this has resulted in some pretty low scores. My second success is an improvement from my first, but I still got only 334,210 points.

- Berix

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Man, this is an awesome game :DD

I just realised that rhombus had the same idea like me... only my score is a little higher :p At watching his system, it crashed only half a year later than mine...

Anyway, forgot to save the link but took screenshots:

I'm #602 :o
Inactive, probably forever.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As anyone can see, I was WAY too safe with this one.

http://www.stefanom.org/spc/?view=1847786

I'll try something more risky when I have the time to mess around with it.

See ya later! :wave

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
http://www.stefanom.org/spc/?view=1791884
Failed to reach 500 years (EDIT: Just watched it myself and I actually did make it to 500 years. I swear I remember seeing planet 5 get flung out at around 300 something years.), but I did get a much higher score than my previous attempts. The starting planet was rather close, so I went with a brown dwarf instead of a dwarf star. However, what caused problems with this system was putting too many super-earths so close together, along with a giant planet near the outer edge.

(Ducky, it's a good thing you took a screenshot, because the link does actually appear where it says "Share this address to show off your system:". It's kinda hard for me to read it, but maybe you can figure it out since you're the one who took that screenshot.)

- Berix

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hope I read it correctly...

EDIT: nope, that's not the one... damn :p

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I seriously doubt I'll ever get scores that high, but I'm willing to try new ideas.

In this attempt, I tried the apparently popular idea of putting a dwarf star right next to the central star. I didn't even make it to 200 years.

In this attempt, I decided to try putting a brown dwarf in the habitable zone. I added only one planet before deciding to not push my luck any further. I made it to 500 years.

Finally, in this attempt, I put a dwarf star in the habitable zone, then one earth-size very close to the central star. I successfully reached 500 years and a personal high score of nearly 18,000,000. (Interestingly, the replay put the final planet a little further out, which ended up with a score much higher than what I actually got.)

- Berix

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^  I have noticed that as well.  The replay often has a different result then when I originally played a particular system.

I finally beat my old score:

http://www.stefanom.org/spc/?view=1972140

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Original survived about 50 years... replay survived 231.9!... would have beaten rhombus record BY FAR since I had 80 milliion points at th time it crashed :smile

Here

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I decided to borrow rhombus's strategy. No success yet, but I am getting much higher scores than before. This one is my best so far. Made it to 377 years with a score of 81,739,845. Submitting that score put me in position #587.

EDIT: Just got a better try. 431.2 years, 138,667,955 points, position #142.

- Berix

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^  That is awesome, Chronicler.  :) I still haven't been able to exceed 120,000,000 yet.  I really want to know how the people who got 300,000,000 or more were able to accomplish that feat.  :blink:

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^so true. I keep failing to repeat my first lucky one even :lol

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just re-discovered this game. I am up to 47,442,905 points already, so I guess I haven't lost my touch.