The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Doctor Who fan fiction

Ptyra · 11 · 2244

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I'm not so sure if I'll actually load the story on here, since it'll get more sensitive as it goes on.

Really, a few things are needed:
1. Have read Trevor Baxendale's "Prisoner of the Daleks", since the story is based off on of the characters in it
2. Have constructive criticism...yum.

So, without further ado...
Heir of Dalek X prolouge
Heir of Dalek X chapter 1
Heir of Dalek X chapter 2
Heir of Dalek X chapter 3
Heir of Dalek X chapter 4
Heir of Dalek X chapter 5
Heir of Dalek X chapter 6
Heir of Dalek X chapter 7
Heir of Dalek X chapter 8
Heir of Dalek X chapter 9
That is all I have so far because I am stumped between there and the ending, not to mention most of the flaws I noticed for myself

Which I evaluated here

So, if someone would be so kind as to offer critique and bounce ideas off with me, I would be very much obliged :)

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
There is another story that I would also like a little help with that is still in the development process.
It is another Dalek identity-crisis story, except that this one was born with human mentality.
What I've got goes as such:

* Remembers pre-birth development; Has feelings going as "I'm cold even though I'm warm", "I need to be connected to something", basically questioning why it is growing in a tank instead of a womb, though it does not know the difference. Making humanity craving #1, wants a parent, or parents

* As a slave overseer, sneaks help to the enslaved. Might even hide a pregnant female/woman and help her get to safety. Humanity craving #2: compassion and mercy

* Rather than being executed when it is discovered, it is kept alive for research, to find out how its massive mutation happened.

* Is later found to be able to grow offspring on its own, in its own body. And that becomes very interesting to the scientists and is artificially impregnated. But it ends up being that it absolutely cannot nurse its offspring when it is born, though the offspring has the instinct to. It eventually ends up dying. Humanity craving #3, care for all the offspring's needs

* The Dalek DOES however, have an enormous protective instinct, and becomes devastated when its dead offspring is pried from it. Human craving #4, actual ability to grieve

* Facing execution after it does...something ridiculous...it Emergency Temporal Shifts away, and ends up in the middle of Napoleon's invasion of Russia...and becomes a force that stops them...somehow...History geeks, gimmie something!

* It hides out in some libraries. Human craving #5, curiosity

* Eventually, it gets into a place where it hibernates, and ends up creating a fantasy where it is a woman living in Victorian-ruled India with her husband, children, and parents. Eventually, it starts to believe that the life of "Alina Wylie" is its real life. Then the Doctor comes along and ****s it all up.

* It goes about life after that trying to recreate that life, and even establishes itself as feminine.

* "She" then goes on trying to find a mate/companion/soulmate/etc, etc, and even tries to create one. In the wise words of Doctor Reginald Bushroot in Darkwing Duck: "Never again will I be lonely! Never again will they tell me, "I can't go out with you, you're just a shrub! I HAVE FOUND A WAY TO CREATE THE PERFECT BRIDE!!! I'm growing my own."

* The Doctor intervenes again, but this time, he has more than enough reasons to defend himself fairly.

* At this point, there's a giant gap, but then "she" finds sanctuary at The Library.

* For an extremely long time, it refuses to have another offspring, out of guilt for what happened to the first, and even after "Alina Wylie" having three children and a baby, it still does not want to, especially if with another one, it is able to feed it, and does not find that particularly fair after the first one starving to death.

It's a real experiment of "what would happen if you put humanity into a Dalek?". I think of it as being like John Gardner's Grendel, but instead of a pessimist who gives up trying to fit in, the Dalek of this story, called Unit 42, fitting into its name trope, questions its place in life, the universe, and everything, but does not stop its search for a certain someone. I'm not entirely sure of what happens to it in the end, but I think it makes Sanctuary its own home. I would like for it to find some kind of special friend/mate.

Besides that, there's a lot of story elements that I think are missing, and I need to bounce ideas off with someone about this story, since I don't have a lot of ideas besides the ones I just talked about.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I read the first chapters and didn't notice any problems so far. Its quite a good story, actually. But then again, I still have more chapters to read.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Frankly, the more I watch of the classic Doctors, the less I like #10...which makes me a little disappointed with myself.

The Doctor in the story is just a future one of my own making, and I'm trying to find a way to combine the first eleven Doctors into that one.
But the story is not really about him, it's about the Dalek that he keeps bumping into.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, every doctor pretty much stands on their own.

The only classic doctors I enjoyed were the orginial(I keep forgetting his name), Peter Cushing and Tom Baker as well as the 5th, 6th and 8th doctors. The classic series is legendary but I just happen to be more of a fan of the new series, as that is what got me into the whoverse(if could be called that) in the first place.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Hey, Ptyra! :wave Here to review the story, as promised.

I have read through all of the chapters you have written so far, as well as your self-critique. I can’t help but feel bad saying it, but I agree with you regarding self-criticisms #1–4: the story would benefit from an overall revision of the writing. That said, I liked the concept of the fanfic. To my knowledge, the Doctor Who series has never gone into much detail regarding “natural” Dalek reproduction, and I liked your take on how one would reproduce when deprived of technological aid (which seems to have been a factor in all cases of Daleks replicating themselves in the series).

I imagine the reason Dalek Xóreputedly the most ruthless member of a species whose capacity for emotion is almost entirely limited to hateódevelops feelings of love for his offspring is because, as you state in Chapter 1, no Dalek has reproduced in this way for a long time, and doing so effectively stimulates emotions that Daleks normally never have any reason to feel. It does seem plausible to me that, just as the Doctor pointed out in “The Parting of the Ways” that Daleks can still feel fear despite having almost all of their emotions supposedly removed, the Daleks have other emotions which, while extremely limited and normally suppressed, have not been eliminated entirely, and can still emerge under certain circumstances.

Since you seem to be more concerned about how your story reads as a whole, rather than the quality of individual chapters, I thought I’d forgo my usual pattern of reviewing the fanfic chapter by chapter, spellchecking the entirety of each one. I have nonetheless chosen to list my comments on the story according to the chapters they are relevant to. Among them I have pointed out a few typos and other writing errors, most of which would potentially be relevant in future writing, and also if you decided to go about rewriting the existing chapters.

Prologue:

Has the concept of Daleks existing in near constant pain due to their own physiology and their connection to their casings been expressed canonically anywhere in Doctor Who? Because those are really clever ideas, :yes and feel very appropriate for them; traits that exacerbate the Daleks’ inherent madness and their desire to inflict suffering on other species, as well as adding to the sense of them being utterly unnatural, deformed creatures that have been artificially crippled and confined in the isolation of their mechanical casings. (No offense to your Dalek OCs, who, if my impressions of them are in any way accurate, are almost the antithesis of this: a more “natural” form of Dalek; Daleks as they should have been, one might say.)

He felt hate for the Doctor and the man who had impaled him, and the female creature that had disabled his hover mechanism.
I would have this say “human” or “human male” instead of “man”, and perhaps change the “who” following it to “that”, in keeping with the Dalek’s objective and impersonal manner of categorizing members of other species. Also, given that the Doctor started out as Dalek X’s prisoner, yet managed to trick him into coming to Hurala and ultimately led him into the trap that brought about his downfall, I would imagine that Dalek X would reserve a more in-depth internal description of his hatred for him.

He felt anger for what they had done and what they would do to ruin the Dalek plans to claim the Archeon Threshold.
Should be spelled “Arkheon”.

I saw a couple cases of the 'h' in the word "hit" being accidentally left out:
His casing it the hard rock ground, splitting open with the force, flames extinguished, and Dalek X's screaming was halted with a gag, * propelled outward a meter away from it.
When it at last it the ground, it split even more, and hurtled him across the rock again.
*I think you should specify here that it is Dalek X's body that is being propelled from the casing.

Also, this is just my personal opinion that you could completely ignore if you wanted to, but I would find it more believable for Dalek X to survive the detonation of the Lodestar station if he was still in his casing at the end of his first fall (even if the casing had already been breached and the shields were not functioning). To be honest, the book stretched my suspension of disbelief in that Dalek X was still alive after an explosion that atomized the station, destroyed the Dalek ships floating above it, split open the planet, and emitted a flare visible from seven lightyears away.

Chapter 1:

He laid awake now, fidgeting with agitation.
Should be “lay”.

Long ago, he was not sure how long, he came to his wits end and did what no Dalek had done since the dark days of Skaro
Should be “wits’”, with an apostrophe at the end.

During his waking moments, as the new creature began to shift and move, he channeled information to it, sharing each detail of Dalek history to it: its Kaled ancestors and their thousand year war with the Thals, to his failed conquest of the universe.
“To” should be “with”, and in place of the colon, I would put a comma, and add “from” after it.

By the way, the concept of a creature passing on information to its asexually produced offspring is quite interesting to me. Dalek X’s ability to spontaneously grow an offspring in a makeshift womb reminds me of the way some simple animals like hydras reproduce by forming a “bud” which eventually grows into an independent organism. I’ve wondered whether it would be possible for a hypothetical, more complex creature that reproduced in this manner to communicate with its offspring while their nervous systems were still connected, the way Dalek X seems to be able to.
Not really helpful critique; I’m just thinking out loud. :unsure:

Chapter 2:

I have to say, this chapter seemed rather contrived to me. I don’t understand why the Doctor would return to Hurala after leaving Dalek X for dead at the end of Prisoner of the Daleks. Or was this some kind of deliberate gambit on the Doctor’s part? Did the Doctor realize that Dalek X would ultimately be rescued after all, and deliberately gave him an opportunity to absorb human DNA to help create an offspring (which would have the capacity for emotion, and which Dalek X would develop affection for) in order to introduce emotions into the high ranks of the Daleks, thus causing turmoil in their empire?

The chapter also felt a bit rushed. Part of it ties in with the issue I noted above: the Doctor seems to arrive with the express purpose of allowing his her companion to provide genetic material to Dalek X (in a manner that, I hate to say, I thought was a little too reminiscent of Rose’s first interaction with the title character of the New Who episode “Dalek”) with both of them leaving as suddenly as they came. I suppose it can’t be helped much, since this story is being told from Dalek X’s perspective, which is rather limited at this point. I still can’t help but feel, though, that this chapter could be improved in some way. I just can’t think of how. :bang

Chapter 4:

"A great final war between the Daleks and the Time War[COLOR]. Ultimately, the Doctor destroyed both us and his own people into obliteration!" The Emperor responded.

Shouldn’t “Time War” be “Time Lords”? Also, “destroyed into obliteration” sounds redundant to me.

"Your request is granted." The Emperor replied, not taking his gaze off Dalek X.
Maybe it’s just me, but this line didn’t sound quite “Dalekky” enough. I’m not quite sure how to word it, but don’t Daleks generally use fewer words when giving commands and granting requests? To me it would sound more natural for the Emperor to say simply, “Request granted”.

He resisted the urge to say that it lacked elegance.
I thought Daleks had no concept of elegance. :p At least, that’s what Dalek Thay (I think) told the Cybermen in “Doomsday”. Then again, Dalek X seems to be imbued with the capacity for more emotions than most; perhaps he is an exception? (For the record, I share the opinion you and Dalek X have of the New Paradigm Daleks; :p they don’t look as good as their predecessors.)

Chapter 5:

He preferred the company of scientists and elite guards, those who guided their rage and agony into intricate works of study, than attacking one another at the slightest wrong word.
Do you mean “rather than”? Also, do lower-ranking Daleks attack each other when angered? Granted, my experience with the Whoniverse is mostly limited to the new series, but the only instances I can recall of Daleks deliberately attacking and/or destroying one another took place when the attackers had deemed the victims “inferior” in some way; the New Dalek Paradigm obliterating their damaged predecessors in “Victory of the Daleks”, and Dalek X himself exterminating the mine overseer Daleks for failing to maintain schedule in Prisoner of the Daleks (which I interpreted as more a show of Dalek X’s ruthlessness than anything else), to name two examples. Given the orderly and logic-driven way in which they do things, infighting doesn’t seem to me like something Daleks would do. (Correct me there’s something I don’t know.) However, the whole concept of Dalek X preferring interaction with the more cerebral ranks sounds perfectly plausible to me; perhaps a more valid-sounding reason for why he is less appreciative of the soldier ranks could be their simple, mindless aggression; the fact that their contributions to furthering the Dalek empire are limited to firing ray blasts at non-Daleks (whereas Dalek prefers conquest on a larger and more calculated scale, such as by creating new superweapons and taking advantage of time-space anomalies).

It was one more addition to what Dalek X could do-he could create life from his own flesh.
This hyphen (-) should be an em dash (ó).

Chapter 6:

Perhaps the narrative should mention at some point how unusually slow the Heir’s growth is. I have no clue how fast Daleks normally mature (though I am guessing their growth rates are technologically enhanced) but it seemed to me that the Heir was growing awfully slowly even with its half-human DNA taken into account.

It turned at looked at Dalek X face to face, restraining a terrified quiver from the other three Daleks, having never properly seen a Dalek casing.
I was unclear at first that the middle part of this sentence was describing the Heir reacting to the sight of the other three Daleks. I would reword this sentence a bit, namely changing “from” to “at the sight of”.
Also, “at” should be “and”.

The Heir’s introduction to its own Dalek casing was definitely the most disturbing and heart-jerking moment in the story so far. Describing it later as having had its “innocence” tainted was right on. It harkens back to my earlier comment about the how being crammed inside their metal casings must affect Daleks psychologically. It made me wonder how different the Daleks might be (at least in your headcanon) if they weren’t all not implanted in painful life support systems at birth, especially if they had previously been born and grown under more “natural” conditions like the Heir.

This will certainly not be my only post reviewing this story. I have many more thoughts to share on it, but will need time to get them in order. Sorry that I haven’t gotten to the “bouncing ideas” stage yet. :oops (Double sorry if the feedback I have given you so far isn't of much help. :unsure:)

By the way, although I normally try to avoid spoilers, I think I would be most useful in helping you write your story if you told me all of your current plans for it (including how you planned on ending it). You can share this information by PM if you like, or in this thread if it doesn’t matter to you. In any case, your responses will surely help me to help you. ;)

P.S. You were right about Prisoner of the Daleks; it's a good read. :yes I read the whole thing from start to finish in a single afternoon. :blink:

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks so much  :DD !
I agree that chapter two is one of the weaker ones. The initial idea is that the Doctor and "her" companion, Severine, got there by accident through a "surprise tour". This might change, though. The interaction between her and Dalek X was based off Rose and "Metaltron", but that needs work. Initially, it's set up for padding on Dalek X's aggressiveness toward her later. But yeah, I'm not sure how to work on this one either.

And that's a great point about the hydra budding. I had wondered if that was a realistic alternative, and it looks like it is!

I assume that Daleks grow quickly. In another book, I Am a Dalek, the Doctor witnesses a Dalek being grown inside an empty casing, and it grew to adult size within a couple of hours. So indeed, the Heir's growth would be painfully slow. The idea is that through the whole story, it is an an infant stage.

Dalek X's restrained thought of lacking elegance is a bit of foreshadowing to the fact that he too has a bit of Human Factor in him from extrapolating DNA from Severine.
And Severine will come back with the Doctor later.

You don't have to feel bad about agreeing with my points. It's perfectly fine :). One of the major things I want to work on is how writing itself goes and that is something I hoped to work on.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I've updated the prologue

I also intend to combine the first and second chapters of the original so that the birth and rescue happens in the second chapter

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay. This one isn't necessarily critique, but I'm working on a story that I would like some help with.

Like...a lot.

You can read about what I've got
here

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My Dalek 42 story has been stewing a while longer since my last post, and I've come to more conclusions that have only made the writing process harder.

I've reversed the second two parts of the story.

The first regarding Dalek 42's creation and purpose (referred to as Subject 42 through the first two thirds of the story), then sent to the Dalek aslylum where it stews in hallucinations of humanity and plotting revenge against the Dalek Scientist 10, who would later become Dale X. The final part is escaping (probably when the Alaska crashes into the Asylum?) and attempting to execute its plan.

Since taking a creative writing class, I'm fully cognizant that my writing is really, really minimalist, and I do a lot more telling than showing. It helps to fill holes, but there's no way I'm going to upload something with a minimal writing style, since there's not a lot of "meat" in it.

Would anyone be able to help brainstorm for the story and give suggestions for getting around the actual storytelling issue?