The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask a question, get an answer!

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have so many pet stories that I'd probably take all night describing each one :lol.  Everything from stealing apple pies and countertop surfing to overdoses of catnip to random bird talk and even reactions to fireworks :lol.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Aw, please, can't you just tell a couple of them? :smile The apple pie and catnip ones sound interesting to me. :lol

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, alright :p.

The apple pie one happened when my older dog Max was still a puppy.  Well, two years old, but still a pup :smile.  We were camping, and my mother decided to make an apple pie to bring with us.  We had a pop-up camper at the time (I've always preferred tent-camping personally ;)), and so we left our two dogs (we had an older Cocker at the time) in the camper while we went down to the lake.  When we got back, Max had apple pie allover his face and in the hair of his floppy ears while pretending he had done nothing wrong.  The other dog, meanwhile, was hiding in one of the beds out of fear of being blamed for what Max did :lol.  Neeless to say, he had devoured the entire apple pie in the course of ten minutes :wow.

As for the catnip story, we used to have two cats before they ran away on us :cry.  One of them did not like catnip :blink:, but the other one went nuts whenever he got catnip.  One evening, my sister and I gave him twice the amount of catnip we normally gave him (I don't remember why we did that :rolleyes).  Anyhoo, not long afterwards, he went ballistic :lol!  He kept dashing through the house.  He stopped at random times to sit down and lick himself before he would suddenly look around in a psychotic fashion and then take off again :spit.  This behavior of his probably lasted at least two hours nonstop :p.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Apr 18 2011 on  12:14 AM
As for the catnip story, we used to have two cats before they ran away on us :cry. One of them did not like catnip :blink:, but the other one went nuts whenever he got catnip. One evening, my sister and I gave him twice the amount of catnip we normally gave him (I don't remember why we did that :rolleyes). Anyhoo, not long afterwards, he went ballistic :lol! He kept dashing through the house. He stopped at random times to sit down and lick himself before he would suddenly look around in a psychotic fashion and then take off again :spit. This behavior of his probably lasted at least two hours nonstop :p.
Huh. Sounds a lot like what our cat, Sasquatch, does sometimes. Except he acts like that without exposure to catnip! :lol

Do you have a good story or two involving Howard? :)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
He's still the same ol' silly bird he usually is :lol.  Lately he's been saying "Hey!  What's goin' on?" :p.  

Here's a funny one: Last week, I was making some breakfast for myself when my mother came in.  I had my back turned for just a few moments, and before I knew it, she had put REAL butter on my food :slap.  I ended up reminding her again about why I can't have dairy products and that I'm not a baby, and as soon as I went quiet, Howard yelled, "BUTTTTTERRRR!" :lol.  He hasn't said it since though.

Another thing he does make chicken sounds.  This started a few years ago, when my sister called out a relative as being a chicken.  She was standing next to Howard when she said, "Baaaaawk!  Bawk!  Bawk!  Bawk!  Baaaaawk!"  She only said it once, but he's been doing it ever since :lol.

He also has a bell in his cage he rings when he's hungry :p.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, wow, the chicken story is hilarious! :lol

Has Howard ever bitten you?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Indeed he has :p.  He used to bite me whenever I tried to hold him when he belonged to my sister, and on a couple of occasions even broke my skin.  He rarely bites me now, and when he does it's caused by him getting spooked while I'm holding him :p.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My family and I plan to go camping at the Grand Canyon this July. I know that you've been there before and are a very experienced camper; do you have any advice (esp. on safety precautions) or other information that you think would be useful for us to know?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There are quite a few safety precautions to list.  The Grand Canyon has its dangers and can be treacherous to explore, but at the same time it is so fascinating and breathtaking.  I know you'll have a good time out there :yes.  That said, here's what I have to say about safety precautions:

*Always remain at least 300 feet or greater away from wildlife if possible.  Not only is it a national park law, but it is also for the safety of the animals and the visitors.  You'll be amazed at how many visitors literally walk right up to the wildlife and stand less thn five feet away :slap!  Even some with professional photography cameras :rolleyes.  It is true that sometimes wildlife show up out of nowhere and you're definitely less than 300 feet away from them, such as while coming around a blind curve on a trail.  To try to prevent this, be sure to make a reasonable amount of noise.  Since you'll be with your family, simply conversing while hiking should do it.  

*July is very hot in the Grand Canyon.  If y'all plan on hiking down into the canyon, temperatures can reach or even exceed 120 degrees Fahrenheit, while up on the rim can reach the 90s at least.  Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are the top killers of Grand Canyon visitors, so be sure to have plenty of fluids.  Not only water, but also fluids with electrolytes like Gatorade or Smartwater.  I also like mixing Simply Limeade with salt (an at-home Gatorade recipe I learned about while in the Yellowstone area ;)).  Salty snacks and foods high in potassium like bananas are good food sources of electrolytes.  Also be sure to bring correct footwear for hiking, hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen.  This is a desert climate, after all :yes.

*Speaking of deserts, no desert climate can be complete without a couple of venomous critters.  Campers in particular at the Grand Canyon tend to frequently encounter rattlesnakes, tarantulas, and scorpions.  These guys become even more active at night.  Since scorpions and tarantulas can crawl up vertical surfaces, a good idea would be to bring a blacklight.  If you're tent camping, it's a good idea to use the blacklight to check for scorpions and tarantulas that could be on the outside of the tent before entering and exiting, and to also check your sleeping bags before crawling in them.  Also, never leave the door to your tent or RV open unattended, always check your shoes before putting them on, and should you ever have to set your bag down to take a break while hiking, be sure to check it before putting it back on.  If it was opened while on the ground, be sure to check the inside too.  Those venomous critters I've mentioned can be pretty sneaky :p.

*Always read and follow any signs that can be found at trailheads and along trails.  As with any national park, upon arrival, you'll receive a park newsletter.  Be sure to read this information.  It not only lists safety precautions and regulations, but also park updates, ideas for activities, ranger-led programs, trail closures or openings, and information on park amenities and service locations (visitor centers, medical clinic, food service, etc.)

*If any of y'all are acrophobic or get dizzy spells from heights, then it is best to not stand on or sit on a cliff edge.  If this is not the case, always pay attention to where you step.  A fall into the Grand Canyon sounds like a really painful way to go for us, but more like a dinner bell for the California Condors :x.  In other words, use your common sense at all times ;).

*For additional information, be sure to check out www.nps.gov.  Click on the state of Arizona, and then click on Grand Canyon National park.

*If Sasquatch is coming, I'm sorry to say he can't come on any park trails.  Not only is it for the health and safety of pets and humans, but also wildlife, which can easily pick up pet ailments such as the parvovirus.  Besies, he would probably be disappointed to know the Grand Canyon has cats way bigger and more ferocious than him (Mountain lions) :lol.

*Lastly, as scary as it may sound, do not let all I've mentioned scare you or family members out of having a good time.  As long as everyone is well-informed and uses common sense (i.e. no Three Stooges reenactments along the cliff edges :lol), it should be very fun and memorable for everyone.  

I hope this helps.  If I can provide any additional information or further elaborate on anything mentioned here, don't hesitate to ask ;).

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you very much, Anna. All that information is extremely helpful. :yes

Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,May 31 2011 on  12:36 AM
*July is very hot in the Grand Canyon.  If y'all plan on hiking down into the canyon, temperatures can reach or even exceed 120 degrees Fahrenheit, while up on the rim can reach the 90s at least.  Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are the top killers of Grand Canyon visitors, so be sure to have plenty of fluids.  Not only water, but also fluids with electrolytes like Gatorade or Smartwater.  I also like mixing Simply Limeade with salt (an at-home Gatorade recipe I learned about while in the Yellowstone area ;)).  Salty snacks and foods high in potassium like bananas are good food sources of electrolytes.  Also be sure to bring correct footwear for hiking, hats, sunglasses, and sunscreen.  This is a desert climate, after all :yes.
I'm starting to think that maybe we should stay on the rim. :unsure: Thanks for the warnings.

*Speaking of deserts, no desert climate can be complete without a couple of venomous critters.  Campers in particular at the Grand Canyon tend to frequently encounter rattlesnakes, tarantulas, and scorpions.  These guys become even more active at night.  Since scorpions and tarantulas can crawl up vertical surfaces, a good idea would be to bring a blacklight.  If you're tent camping, it's a good idea to use the blacklight to check for scorpions and tarantulas that could be on the outside of the tent before entering and exiting, and to also check your sleeping bags before crawling in them.  Also, never leave the door to your tent or RV open unattended, always check your shoes before putting them on, and should you ever have to set your bag down to take a break while hiking, be sure to check it before putting it back on.  If it was opened while on the ground, be sure to check the inside too.  Those venomous critters I've mentioned can be pretty sneaky :p.
That's very good to know. I wonder if I should bring a ziplock bag or something to put my shoes in when I take them off; with my absentmindedness, I'm not sure I trust myself to remember to check every time. <_<

*If Sasquatch is coming, I'm sorry to say he can't come on any park trails.  Not only is it for the health and safety of pets and humans, but also wildlife, which can easily pick up pet ailments such as the parvovirus.  Besies, he would probably be disappointed to know the Grand Canyon has cats way bigger and more ferocious than him (Mountain lions) :lol.
I'm sure we'll be leaving Sasquatch at home (maybe in the kennel again), so that won't be a problem.

*Lastly, as scary as it may sound, do not let all I've mentioned scare you or family members out of having a good time.  As long as everyone is well-informed and uses common sense (i.e. no Three Stooges reenactments along the cliff edges :lol), it should be very fun and memorable for everyone.
I'll keep that in mind. :lol

I hope this helps.  If I can provide any additional information or further elaborate on anything mentioned here, don't hesitate to ask ;).
It helps very much. :) Can I trouble you to tell me about your own experiences visiting the Grand Canyon and what it was like?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It was March when I was there, and the weather remained in the upper fifties all week.  While I love tent camping, my mother will not do that for an entire week :p, so we stayed in one of the lodges instead.  Much of our time out there was spent hiking along the rim trails.  I did hike down into the Grand Canyon via the Bright Angel trail, which is 6.2 miles one way, by myself.  My mother is severely acrophobic, and the trail is only probably three feet wide and is carved into the cliffside for most of the way down.  It took me about six hours to hike down and back up, and this includes stopping for about an hour at the bottom an stopping many times in between to rest and/or take pictures.  Since I have a tendency to make sure others who are with me also have a good time, I did things my mother could also safely do, such as horseback riding and taking a bus tour of the rim.  There were also numerous ranger-led programs we attended, including a moonlight hike along part of the rim.  There was a ranger talk on safety I would recommend attending, if it is still held there.  That's how I learned a few things I mentioned in my previous post :yes.  We also took a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon.  My mother didn't realize it would freak her out :rolleyes, but due to balancing the weight out (there were three other passengers), I got to sit up front with the pilot and take lots of pictures, so things evened out ;).  I'm glad one of us isn't acrophobic.  Otherwise, so many memories wouldn't have been caught on camera :).  

All in all, I had a really good time out there.  If and when I ever end up back out there (or even have a job there :DD), I definitely plan on hiking even more into the canyon :yes.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow.

What kinds of wildlife did you get to see at the canyon? :)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Let's see, I saw the following:

*Elk
*Ravens
*California Condors
*A mountain sheep (in the distance while taking pictures of the canyon)
*Mule deer
*Squirrels

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Which was the most interesting to you?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'd have to say the California condor, as I had never heard of them before going out there :).

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Really good so far :yes.  We adopted a rescue just over two weeks ago.  She's also a Cocker and is the same age as my other other surviving pup, and she spent all her life in a cage on a puppy mill being used to make babies :cry.  She's still very timid, but she's getting used to her new environment :).  My other pup has been protective of her since we brought her home, and he lets her follow him around.  Howard is doing good too, and continues to be a brat :lol.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Aw. ^^ That's nice of your other pup to be so nice to her. And I'm glad Howard's doing good.

Have you named her yet and what color is she? :D

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
She is buff with some lighter blonde on top of her head, and her name is Daisy :smile.  I'll have to post pictures on here when I get them.  I've been meaning to take pictures of both pups but I've been really busy as usual :rolleyes.