The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Green for green

raga · 10 · 956

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't know if any of you have heard of this plan but with Earth Day coming up this week I thought I would bring it up.  Roughly a year ago gas prices here in the U.S. were getting out of control, quickly approching 5 dollars for a gallon of regular.  Although this was still very cheap when compared to prices in Europe it was hurting Americans alot.  We are a very car dependent country and over the course of a few years we found ourselves paying twice as much as we used to for gas.  Then the Oil futures market was fixed and investment banks were prevented from artifically inflating the price of oil.  The price for a barrel of crude dropped from nearly $150 to under $50 and the price of gasoline fell to nearly half its previous level.  The gas station in town where I fill up fell all the way down to $1.99 for a gallon of reagular.  The price eventually stablized at a little over $2 and at least check earlier today was beinging its usual summer rise and was sitting at $2.21 per gallon.  Prices are back to normal and all is good with the world, correct?  Wrong.

The exact amount varies with each version of the plan but the basic idea is to raise the price of gasoline by a dollar per gallon over night.  At first this seems like a very stupid idea, but in reality is very creative.  Back when prices were high there was a sudden demand for alternative fuels.  Car companies began creating cars with better MPG and the public began demanding more funding for non-corn ethanol, electric, wind, solar, hydrogen and all the other alternative fuels.  Seperating ourselves from our dependence on fossile fuels became the most important goal for the future.  Then gas prices fell and our short attention span forgot what had just happened.  Under this plan the demand for alternative fuels would grow again, sparking research for the alternative fuels we so despretly need.  The price of gasoline would not be raised by the oil companies though, but by a federal tax.  The revenues from this tax would than be used to fund more research.

Well thats the basic idea, now I would like to hear what you all think.  The plan shows promise and could do alot of good, but like everything else in this world it has major flaws.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Sounds fantastic to me!
But seeing as I'm an environmentalist who refuses to drive unless it's absolutely necessary, I think I'm a little biased.
It is true, though, that as long as we stagnate in our gasoline-fueled complacency, alternative fuel research(at least in this country) will stagnate as well.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd go further. have the increase be  1.50. at the current price that would be 3.70, but with such things as 'pump Perks, where if you buy groceries you get a certain amount off at the gas station..buy enough good and that 1.50 is erased up to a certain amount, say 15 gallons..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I wish I was over there right now Gas Price in the US are cheap compared to the Bahamas Gas price:  4 to 5 dollars per gal.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Horrible plan.  The money will go where 99% of all the other tax money goes.....into the pockets of selfish b****** politicians that steal everything.  If 500 billion goes into research for greener fuels......only about 60 million or so will actually have any impact.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Being a train-riding environmentalist in a country with current gas prizes of about $6.5 per gallon (which is significantly cheaper than it was last summer) I am certainly heavily biassed in this matter. A certain American preference for big, heavy, gas-gobbling cars further pushes me to think of measures to change this as a good thing.
Austin however addresses a very crucial point. In case of such increases it would have to be ensured (and it would be tricky to ensure) that the money does not end up in the pockets of the gas companies. It could well be used for the expansion of public transport and its promotion (creating jobs along with the environmental benefit) in the USA.
I do think a change of thinking is necessary everywhere (don't want to chim in into any stupid "all America's fault" kind of chant) in various fields. In case of the US the dealing with cars as a tool of entertainment rather than transportation is one crucial thing.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, malte that would be addressed by requing revenues friom the tax be spent on alternative fuels and environmental protection. if you spent $500 billion on the environment, not only could you clear up decades of backlogged costs and repairs, but you could hire new park rangers, as well as set aside more areas for protection.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't think the point of this is that the money earned from the raised prices would go towards alternative fuel research, though, of course, that would be nice. Rather, I think the point is to stimulate said research by once again creating a demand for it.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'd go further. have the increase be 1.50.
The dollar increase I said was just an example, I've seen the exact amount vary from $.5 to $2.

I wish I was over there right now Gas Price in the US are cheap compared to the Bahamas Gas price: 4 to 5 dollars per gal.
I know, I know, the U.S. has it pretty easy compared to a good portion of the world.  But we also use our cars much more often than other countries (a practice I wish would change).

Horrible plan. The money will go where 99% of all the other tax money goes.....into the pockets of selfish b****** politicians that steal everything. If 500 billion goes into research for greener fuels......only about 60 million or so will actually have any impact.
That is one of the major problems with the plan, but it dosen't make it horrible.  But your right, this plan should not go into action if it cannot be guarenteed that at least the vast majority of the money would go to the proper place (and that none would go to the oil companies).

It could well be used for the expansion of public transport and its promotion (creating jobs along with the environmental benefit) in the USA.
woops, forgot to mention that, thanks for reminding me!

(don't want to chim in into any stupid "all America's fault" kind of chant)
You don't have to be so nice about it, it isn't all our fault, but it is mostly our fault.  I'm ready to admit it.

I don't think the point of this is that the money earned from the raised prices would go towards alternative fuel research, though, of course, that would be nice. Rather, I think the point is to stimulate said research by once again creating a demand for it.
You are mostly correct but partly wrong.  Although the money isn't the main point, it is helpful.  You are right though that the main idea is to spark the demand for alternative fuel research again.  After just a few years and a couple dollar increase on gas American's stopped demanding the huge gas-guzzeling SUVs and started demanding fuel-eficient or alternative fuel cars.  The massive change of heart was increadible, and it was dissapointing to see it go.  Rekindling that demand IS the main focus of this plan.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You are mostly correct but partly wrong. Although the money isn't the main point, it is helpful. You are right though that the main idea is to spark the demand for alternative fuel research again. After just a few years and a couple dollar increase on gas American's stopped demanding the huge gas-guzzeling SUVs and started demanding fuel-eficient or alternative fuel cars. The massive change of heart was increadible, and it was dissapointing to see it go. Rekindling that demand IS the main focus of this plan.
Yes, that's pretty much what I meant. While the money would be nice, the demand is what really sets things in motion. I sincerely hope it happens, but it's hard for me to believe that it will, especially not any time soon. I will continue to walk/bike/utilize public transportation as much as possible, though! Fight the good fight!