The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

One thing the series got really right

Ruby2 · 6 · 2293

Ruby2

• Chomper
    • View Profile
One thing the series did that the movies hardly did was to bring everyone back.

I mean, it seems that we'd have never seen Hyp, Nod, Mutt, Ali, the Old One, Doc, Mr. Thicknose,  Tippy, Mo, Guido, etc otherwise as the movies tend to never develop the characters other than the main ones and their families.

Indeed, as far as I can safely say, no guest charaacter (that isn't a family member like Tria, Bron, and maybe Shorty (if he comes in) (He's an adopted brother, rememer?)), have ever been developed much  (intermvoie speaking, not intramovie), other than Chomper.  

Both movies he waas in were a hit.  Indeed, I personally think that Univesal, knowing they were in trouble with movie 13 and that the movie series was getting a bit weaker with 11 and on, decided to bring him in to try and turn things around and that they hoped, with Chomper in the TV Series, they could change the fall in popularity of the series.

Indeed, they brought in other past characters, as mentioned above, giving them repeats finally too.

I really hope the Universal does kepe up that trend, perhaps showing Ali in movie 14 as well or something.

If they keep haviing too many one shot-characters, the franchise won't make it.  The standalone episode things have to go.

(Another plus with Chomper, as movie 5 was one of the few that majorly required seeing another one, in this case 2.  The ony exception to that is 12, which requires 11 to know about Tria.  And, I think, you'd need to see 10 to figure outt 14.)

Though the TV series episodes were mainly standalone too, at least they referenced the movies, including things like the tinysauruses and Pterano.

The standalone episode trend, while good for those who haven't seen all the movies, is more of a detriment in the end than an aide to the LBT saga and if Universal started to do away with that trend, they'd gain traction again.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
While I loved the fact they bought the 'one-shot characters' back I hate the way they portrayed them.

I was excited to hear Ali would be returning in an episode but was really  disappointed. Since when is Ali such a gullible airhead?

Way out of character, she acts like a crazed fangirl over Rhett, I thought Ali was meant to be sweet and sorta shy? Though she did open up more by the end of the 4th movie the TV series made her into a total ditz.

I know it is different people working on the TV series then the movies but good grief at least get the character's personality's right, even the main characters seem to be OOC at times.

The character's personality's is where they got it wrong.

Rocky

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm just go ahead and address the elephant in the room.

WHY DID EACH EPISODE HAVE SO MANY SONGS!

They weren't even good, they were lazy, recycled versions, of song's that weren't even that good to start with.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say all were bad, but 3 of 4 were.
Inactive, probably forever.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Again, I believe we need to focus on who is the target audience for TLBT. Us old time fans would love to see a TV series with fewer, or no songs at all (most of the time they were just put there to replace dialogue for some reason), and with an over reaching story arc that would encompass all 26 episodes.

However, cartoons for young children usually tend to have a standalone episode nature, because small kids have a low attention span and they’d be lost if they started watching the TV series in the middle. Today with Netflix, and the culture of binge watching, maybe it would be easier to sell a TV series for kids with an overall plot to it, but how many parents would allow their kids to watch ten hours and 24 minutes straight of TV? Only the really bad ones :p

Still, I believe this series isn’t really as bad as some of us think or thought at the time. It was out of its time, it should’ve happened in the early to mid 90s, like An American Tale, Denver, the Last Dinosaur, Back to the Future, The Animated Series, or Dinky, The Little Dinosaur, did.

Back then it would’ve been much more popular and we would’ve probably got at least a second season out of it. Of course there are other issues to take into account. If The Land Before Time had started to develop a TV series in the 90s, we’d probably never get any of the sequels, but then again, this is just mere speculation.

Like I’ve said it in another thread, the best thing about this TV series was that it brought back most of the characters from the sequels. Some were poorly portrayed, like Ali, but most were ok. The TV Series wasn’t really that bad. It could’ve done well without the songs, and they should’ve invested more in character development, not only for the gang, but also for the guest characters. We’ll probably never see a TLBT TV series again, but this one doesn’t harm the franchise in any way.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well personally as a kid I enjoyed the songs, I just wished they all sounded different. A lot had the exact same music but different lyrics.
8 years with TGOF :yum