The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask me anything!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Do you still have that huge audio system in your car? 
It's not that massive of an audio system, really.  Upgraded the speakers and have a 10" with a 200W amp on it...yeah it's all in there, might as well. :p

What did you have for dinner last night?
I'm just thinking now..it was some kind of meat and potatoes but as for the kind of meat?  Don't ask me, but it was a little bit chewy. :p

Naw, seriously I can't remember what kind of meat it was...chewy something meaty food thing. :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
What is it with you and audio/music/songs?  I wish to understand what people find so enjoyable about the subject.  Sure I indulge in the occasional listening of small tunes when cleaning but I don't understand how people can spend hours upon end listening to sounds with no visual input.  I become crazy with boredom when doing nothing but listening to a song/sound and I can't listen to anything when working with computers (it really annoys me and I view it as an interruption when doing delicate work).  I'm sure you of all people are capable of answering this question and helping me to understand the nature of songs/sounds.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Paradise Bird,Aug 22 2009 on  05:27 AM
do you have a girlfriend?PM me
Of course he does :p

How many mosquito bites do you have right at this moment? :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What is it with you and audio/music/songs?

I don't understand how people can spend hours upon end listening to sounds with no visual input.
Interestingly, people seem to generally enjoy sound with no visuals but most people won't watch visuals without sound.  Sound makes synchronized visuals (such as a movie or the real world) come alive and can even generate images and feelings inside the mind of the listener.  The fact that silent movies have gone completely extinct for preference to their multimedia counterparts, and even in the silent film days there was nearly always a piano or band playing along with the film, we see that the average person does not feel emotionally attached or deeply interested to visual stimulation *alone*, compared to adding an audio element.

Interestingly, many people typically seem capable of enjoying audio by itself.  In my particular case, this is because music brings emotions, memories and feelings into my mind.  Some of these are exciting, some are just beautiful, some are calming, etc.  No matter what though, I can always enjoy music without visuals for a much longer period of time than I can enjoy visuals without sound.  

If I show you a tranquil, peaceful scene on a TV or somewhere that relaxes you and place you in a dim-lit room to watch the camera move around the scene peacefully, you may not mind it but let me guess: you'll get bored pretty fast.  If we suddenly include a very touching, peaceful soundtrack on top of that image, chances are you'll be able to last longer here before getting bored, provided that your mind is open enough to accept doing this to begin with.  If you don't want to be subjected to this brain stimulation, you won't receive the full effects of it.

Now, if we turn off the images and leave just the sound playing, you will probably start to bring some of those same feelings that you developed while watching the audio and video together.  Depending on the person, you may feel just as much emotional response/stimulation from just the audio as with the audio and the video.  

If we turn off the audio and leave the video play, I would guess that your brain would try to produce some sort of audio in your mind to attempt to bring back that same level of emotional stimulation, but it probably won't be as effective as when the audio was actually turned on.

Your mind may create similar images to what you saw when we turn off the video and leave the audio playing, or it may create completely different ones.  Even without these images developing in your mind though, one will tend to feel at least a short-term emotional attachment to this music (again, assuming the music was written very well for the video and atmosphere we were trying to set).

The bottom line is, to me, audio by itself can bring incredibly powerful feelings within me.  Whether or not the audio puts in image directly in my head, it captures and penetrates the emotional side of my brain and almost inputs feelings directly into it, provided that I'm open minded enough to truly listen to this.  If just listening casually, it's true, I could miss a lot of this experience.  When really listening though, video will never be able to keep up with the long-lasting and intense feelings that music can bring me.

You'll never catch me watching LBT without the sound on.  I can't, it's really boring!  However, I have let an LBT movie play in the background while doing something else..I'm listening to the movie and that has a powerful enough effect on me to still be interesting, especially my 'favorite' LBT films; the ones that have the soundtracks that hit me most emotionally.

Could you watch LBT with the sound off?
Could you turn on an LBT movie while relaxing?  try it with the sound off.  Try it again with the sound on and closing your eyes.  Which one has more effect?  
Tip: This works best on scenes that have a lot of music playing.  Try it!

do you have a girlfriend?PM me
I may as well just respond here. :p
As Mumbling said, yes I do and I suggest you look at both her and my profiles. :p :lol

How many mosquito bites do you have right at this moment? dino_tongue.gif
Muahaha, I have zero!  :nyah  :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
How have you been mostly action?
Okay, just thinking about what I want to do for school next year or something.

I just started a new job, full time night shift at a convenience store.  The job isn't too bad, it's busy a lot of the time, but I sleep all day and work all night now, it's weird. :p

Hope we can talk again soon!  I'll post back with some more stuff but I just got back from work and I'm going to bed, it's 7:30am now! :p :lol

See ya!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Aug 22 2009 on  03:29 PM
How many mosquito bites do you have right at this moment? dino_tongue.gif
Muahaha, I have zero!  :nyah  :D
I.. You.. grr :anger  :lol

I got about 7 at the moment  :p  :lol

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Who are your biggest musical influences? Who do you turn to (or listen to) when it comes to inspiration? Anyone in particular Mr Music Man? ;)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Whew, sorry for the delay!  I'm having nothing but trouble keeping on top of things these days! :oops  ...I blame working nights and catching a cold. :p

Well, I"m wide awake now so I'm trying to tie up some loose ends. ;)

Who are your biggest musical influences? Who do you turn to (or listen to) when it comes to inspiration? Anyone in particular Mr Music Man?
It really depends what the musical goal is for a project, mate! ;)

For my preferred style of composition, my main inspiration is the classical video game soundtrack style, found on the SNES and n64 consoles, mainly, with some exceptions (say, the Megaman series from the NES days, the Ecco soundtrack on the Sega 32x, a few random games here and there, blah blah blah :p).

If we combine the musical styles from these genres with some of the more 'epic' sounds found in some modern progressive/epic rock and metal (typically pieces that have symphonic or choral elements to them), I get something that resembles a powerful, emotional style that is a preferred style of mine to work in.

That being said, I don't always like listening to and writing just loud, heavy stuff. :p
Some of my favorite musical pieces of all time are quieter and very relaxing.  This is a style I'd also like to develop my skill in composing and again, my influences and inspiration are from video games of a similar era, as well as just the right soundtrack that hits me *right there*. ;)

Do you like lion king?
Sure! :D
I enjoy all three of the movies quite a lot..they still make me cry a little bit. :angel

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Not very much.  I know of its existance and prevalence, though I probaby don't know anything that would be of particular interest to anyone.  Basically, I know the 'common' knowledge and I personally feel that ADHD and Autism may be overdiagnosed for people who just have a little different personalities, but other than that, I wouldn't say I'm especially knowledgable, no.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As a music buff, what song do you believe to have the most well composed music out there overall?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Another question,

What other fandoms (in books, movies, tv shows, etc) do you like besides LBT?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This might be an odd question, but do you believe in the term "guilty pleasure" as in having "LBT as a guilty pleasure" due to certain circumstances of what seems to be socially acceptable in society, or do you kick out the labels and just like what you like even if other people would call them guilty pleasures?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
This is basically the same question I already asked Iris: Have you had any fun, interesting, or exciting experiences (with or without Iris) since she came to visit? :)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile