The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask Pterano

Pterano · 57 · 7434

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, yes, I know I'm a noob by asking this, but I've been wondering for a long time...*takes breath*

What does, "the past that yawns behind" actually mean? I've never heard that expression before and I've just been, ya know, wondering. :p

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
I do believe it is in the final chapter...

How long have you been a Beach Boys fan?
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, a good question. I mention it in the final chapter, but there's a bit more to it than that. It's a rough copy of a saying taken from Max Payne, if I recall. He mentions "The past is a gaping hole. You try to run from it, but the more you run, the deeper it grows behind you, its edges yawning at your heels." I really liked that saying, as it demonstrated how much the past can torment someone. In Pterano's case, the past was a nightmare he couldn't wake up from, constantly there, yawning behind him. You can't truly run from it, as it did happen in reality, and the only way to get over it is to face it... as he did. :)

So that's where it comes from. :)

TFM: I used to like them a long time ago, growing up, as my dad would listen to them a lot, among other things. I used to like all the albums up to Pet Sounds, but then I got out of my oldies phase. It wasn't until... I guess either last year or the year before... probably last year, when I REALLY started getting back into them again, and more particular, into Brian Wilson. My dad gave me his latest two albums... one in 2008 (Lucky Old Sun), and the other in 2010 (Reimagines Gershwin), and I was really impressed, and started listening to the Beach Boys again in earnest.

I picked up a rather extensive book on them that follows their career day by day, and like, I started out with their first album, and just slowly started working my way through them all. It's so amazing how Brian developed as a songwriter, as he wrote layer upon layer of lush, rich music in his songs, and produced all his own music too, which not many bands did at the time. He's just really impressive to me so yeah... I'd say once I started hearing his latest albums I got back into him, and the Beach Boys. I'm trying to get all their albums. :smile

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, so THAT'S what it is. Thank you.

Another one, oh gosh, I'm such a noob.

What does "yawning" mean? *sweatdrop*

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yawning, as in a mouth. The definition I was using it as was "to open wide; gape." :)

(runner up)
(runner up)

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

I'm so stupid... :bang

Anyway, thank you!

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Sheesh...been a while since this thread had been active... :blink:

Hey, wanna rp tomorrow? And what did you think of Rinkus thinking you were a girl in the rp?  :lol Reminds me of how I used to think you were a girl.  :lol But then again, I haven't seen you in person back then so it's understandable.  :lol Still laughing about that.

Don't feel bad, Rinkus, I used to think he was a girl too.  :lol
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Reminds me of how I used to think you were a girl. dino_laugh.gif But then again, I haven't seen you in person back then so it's understandable. dino_laugh.gif Still laughing about that.

And that reminds me how I used to think that you lived in Dallas, Texas, Pterano. :p I think it was because you said something about something you did in Dallas, and I just took that to mean you lived there. You remember that? :DD
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, I guess there's only so much you can think to ask a person. :p

Well I make no promises about RPing tonight. I haven't slept in two days you see, as my insomnia has come back with a vengeance. I might just turn in early tonight, and try and sleep as much as I'm able. I'll try to catch up with you later in the week though.  :oops

Yes, I do remember that. :smile

(runner up)
(runner up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Oh yikes, I'm sorry about that, Pterano.  :( Insomnia sucks. I think I had that before school started this year, and I think you were the one to tell me about it.  :lol Hope things get better for you. :)

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
Do you believe in mystical creatures that surround the earth and convulse at your presence?

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry I didn't see this before now. :p Only over a month late in replying. :p

As for whether I believe in mystical creatures that convulse in my presence... no, I do not. XD

(runner up)
(runner up)

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Pterano, do you like Extreme Dinosaurs? I like Extreme Dinosaurs like Mumbling does! :DD  :p  :lol  :smile
I like to watch Dino Squad, Street Sharks, Sabrina's Secret Life, Extreme Dinosaurs, Sonic Underground, Transformers Prime, Power Rangers, Yugioh, Phineas and Ferb, Digimon, Cardfight Vanguard, Land Before Time (14 Films and TV Series) and I like to play Zuma Deluxe

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Path Light

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Quote from: Mumbling,Jun 14 2013 on  02:28 PM
^ I don't know the show :p
I know! Extreme Dinosaurs characters are Bullzeye, Stegz, Spike, Bad Rap, Hard Rock, Haxx, T-Bone, Spittor and other characters. :p  :DD  :lol  :smile
I like to watch Dino Squad, Street Sharks, Sabrina's Secret Life, Extreme Dinosaurs, Sonic Underground, Transformers Prime, Power Rangers, Yugioh, Phineas and Ferb, Digimon, Cardfight Vanguard, Land Before Time (14 Films and TV Series) and I like to play Zuma Deluxe

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is your favorite genre(s) of music/movies and why?
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@Path Light: Unfortunately, I've never seen the show, sorry. :(

@StrutEggStealer: I think movies has been asked, but not music. For music, I like a wide variety of everything really, and my iPod will be full of things from all eras and genres. XD Pretty much the only genre of music I DON'T like is modern-day rap. :p I DO like some of the earlier hip-hop from the 80s, but the modern stuff I can do without. :p My favorite focus of music would definitely be music from the 60s, with my all time favorite band being the Beach Boys (Brian Wilson's stuff in particular, but as a true aficionado, I have all of their 29 studio albums and all six of their concert albums XD), and music in Bobby Darin's style, or such from the 40s and 50s. :yes That kind of "big band" style. :) Also, video game soundtracks. :DD My absolute favorite composer in that genre is Nobuo Uematsu of the Final Fantasy series (whom I met last year! Lifelong goal come true!), though Yasunori Mitsuda comes in a VERY close second. I also like some movie composers too, with Hans Zimmer, John Williams, and John Barry being my favorites.

As for movies, movie-going is one of my favorite pastimes with friends, and we like seeing a wide variety of movies, but mostly try to focus on the more critically acclaimed ones, or some more artsy "under the radar" type films. Some of my favorite directors are: Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Soderbergh, John Glen, Sam Mendes, Paul Schrader, Terrence Malick, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, and almost anything Pixar puts out. :DD I also still enjoy "kids' movies" too, depending on what it is, namely a lot of the movies I grew up with, and some newer ones as well (the Disney Renaissance being some of my all time faves). I'm also a huge fan of the United Artists' Bond films, as the production that went into each of those over the years has always impressed me, with the cool stunts and big budgets, innovative cinematography, and great soundtracks. :DD I like movies with symbolism in them too... with things going on under the surface of the film that aren't outright stated on screen. But yeah, I'm pretty easy when it comes to movie watching. XD

(runner up)
(runner up)