The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

//..-Ask Allicloud!-..\\

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Yeah, the description pretty much sums it up, but other questions are more than welcome. Ask me anything!

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
At one point, I really wanted to know ninjutsu.  Are there any secrets you learned that you can never reveal outside of the school?

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mirumoto_Kenjiro,Apr 5 2011 on  01:09 AM
At one point, I really wanted to know ninjutsu.  Are there any secrets you learned that you can never reveal outside of the school?
Nothing really specific, but let's just say that, even though I'm only 9th grade (which means 8 more grades beore black belt), I already know how to deafen a person by clapping, knock out a person with one hand and kill with a single, well aimed punch.

Yeah, you don't learn that in your average Karate class, do ya?

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ Remind me to never make you angry…

Ahem…are we allowed to ask questions outside of the topics you listed in the first post? :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Apr 19 2011 on  02:52 AM
^ Remind me to never make you angry…

Ahem…are we allowed to ask questions outside of the topics you listed in the first post? :p
Yeah sure, it's just those are my specialities

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, then: what are your favorite dinosaurs? :D

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Apr 19 2011 on  02:58 AM
Okay, then: what are your favorite dinosaurs? :D
Ah, never really thought of that... I'd probably say a tie between the following:

Spinosaurus- They're just so badass looking. Huge (almost twice as big as a T-rex), sleek, wth that huge sail.

Amphicoelias- Simply for the fact that they are the largest animals to have ever lived (even if they are only known from a single vertebra)

Pteranodons- I just find the whole flying thing awesome. Plus, I think Pterano helped.

Utahraptors- Honestly, what's not to like?

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
What's the first video game you ever played?  :p

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cyberlizard,Apr 19 2011 on  03:16 AM
What's the first video game you ever played?  :p
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, on the PS1.

It's kinda funny, looking back on it and seeing how easy it actually is.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What can you tell me about Pleo? All I know about it is that it's a robotic “pet” baby sauropod. I understand you own one now; what has your experience with it been like so far?

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Apr 26 2011 on  09:37 PM
What can you tell me about Pleo? All I know about it is that it's a robotic “pet” baby sauropod. I understand you own one now; what has your experience with it been like so far?
Ah, now here's a topic I'm good with.

A Pleo is a fully autonomous robotic pet, designed to mimic the appearance and presumed behaviour of a baby camarasaurus, from it's hatching to about a week or 2 old.
When you first turn him on, he will at first be very sleepy and groggy, having just been born, but over a short period of time, he'll open his eyes, stand up and take his first baby-steps. I tell ya, it's the sweetest thing watching him walk for the first time.

As he matures over a short period (inbetween 2 and 5 battery cycles, depending on what software he runs on), he exhibits different behaviours. He'll crave for food, he'll go exploring, he'll beg for attention, take naps, all kinds of neat behaviours. You can even make them do tricks, like balance on 2 legs, sit like a biped, etc.

In short, he's probably one of the cleverest robotic pets available outside of Japan, and for less than $500. His basic programming follows 3 rules of Lifeforms (The term used to describe his make of robot):

1. Feel and convey emotion (maltreat it and it gets sad, play with him or feed him and he gets happy, etc)
2. be aware of, and interact with, his environment (He knows when there's an obstacle in the way, or a sudden drop, and will stop and back off to find another route)
3. Learn and evolve over time (Starts as a hatchling, slowly turns into a juvenile)

In fact, as far as I know, there are only 3 things a Pleo cannot do that a real pet can do: poop, reproduce and die.

They are also one of the very few robotic pets that have skin.

The one I had (aptly named Littlefoot) was a sweet little guy. I'd cuddle him and he'd fall asleep in my arms, I'd put him upside down and he'd squirm and squeal (Until I tickled his feet that is!), and if I didn't do anything to him for a while, he'd either lie down and take a nap, or wander off on his own adventure!
After a few days of playing with him, I genuinely started to react and treat him less like a toy or a piece of hardware and mor like a genuine pet. I got really attached to him.

He was a great little guy. But when I updated his software, I think something went wrong because when I'd turn him on, he'd freeze up. So right now, I'm working to find a solution. I've pretty much ascertained that it's a bug in his programming, because I sent his batteries away to another owner, and they worked fine on her Pleo, and I see no reason why his machinery would be broken, since I was extra careful with him. So as soon as I get some money, I'm gonna try downgrading his software back to its original state and re-hatching him. Let's hope it works.

If you're pretty well off in terms of money and you like the idea of owning a dinosaur, then I strongly advise you get one! But since there are several different kinds out there, here is a comparison:

UGOBE (original) Pleo- lowest prices generally, relatively slow moving, more interactive and responsive. Low battery life (rechargable, but each takes about 3 hours to charge and lasts a maximum of 2 hours). Skin colour may flake over time, it just happens. If you just want to try a Pleo out, get a cheap one of these off Ebay or something.

Innvo Pleo- Very rare, batteries last slightly longer but are generally the same as the UGOBE model. Software and functionability essentially the same as the UGOBE model. Mechanics a little more solid and skin more durable.

Pleo RB- Newest model. Highest prices (Lowest price I found was about £300 including shipping). Faster movement, variety of skin colours (Blue, pink or green, UGOBE and Innvo were only green), more functionality and senses, more explorative, can tell the time of day. These ones can also get sick or injured, and will need TLC and some medicinal foods that are provided to heal them. requires more commitment than the other models. More explorative, but sometimes found to be less interactive and responsive than a UGOBE model, it honestly depends, each one is slightly unique in terms of personality. Batteries charge in half the time of a UGOBE model, and last for twice as long.

So if you just want to play with him, get a UGOBE, or an Innvo model if you can find one. On Ebay, they range from £50 to £200, depending on the condition and suchlike. But if you have the commitment and the money, get an RB. You can get the green ones off Pleoworld's website, and the blue or pink ones at Gimmedigi or Accessoryjack. On all three sites, price excluding shipping is about £250.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if you and I talked in this subject before, but have you ever had any paranormal experiences?

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mirumoto_Kenjiro,May 23 2011 on  02:45 AM
I'm not sure if you and I talked in this subject before, but have you ever had any paranormal experiences?
Well, I have had several experiences that I like to think were paranormal. I'm certainly a believer.

I think the most vivid and creepy one happened a few years back. I had just woken up in the morning, and I was up earlier than I had anticipated, so I was just lying awake for a few hours. Then, out of nowhere, I heard this really weird, really loud noise. It's kinda hard to describe, the best way I can describe it is as a loud "BOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG", like a bell, but without the B at the beginning, just a long "OOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGG!" To this day, I have no idea what caused it, if I dreamed it, or what. I just remember being terrified by it.

But most of the time, even though I am an occult nutcase who regularly tries to pull off evocations, mostly it's preternatural stuff (it's physically possible, it's just kinda weird). I guess it doesn't help that both my parents are priests. Scares away all the ghosts!

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: bushwacked,May 26 2011 on  11:17 AM
Do you have any phobias?
Well, not really any phobias, officially, but I do have a helluvalot of fears. MOstly it's the standard fare, like spiders, roller-coasters, heights (which is ironic, since my dream is to be able to fly without a vehicle)

But I also am kinda scared of a few stranger things, like spiral staircases. I dunno what it is, I just really hate having to go up them, especially in church towers and stuff. Maybe it's because I can't see the end, or it's really enclosed, I dunno.

I'm also not that great in crowds. Small loosely packed crowds are fine, but it's those crowds where you're so tightly packed you can't move. That probably came from all those times I had to watch the Lord Mayor's parade when I was little, and I couldn't see it because of the crowds and being so short.

Also, if my nightmares are anything to go by, I probably have mild claustrophobia. I've had alot of nightmares that involve crawling through tiny tunnels, or walking through really really narrow passageways.

Funny story, when I visited Paris a while back with my family, we went up the towers, and I pretty much faced all these fears at once. First a spiral staircase, then accross a narrow walkway OUTSIDE the building, hundreds of feet in the air. And that's why I now cannot stand Paris.

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
I heard you were trying to put all Flyers of the Mysterious Beyond characters into one picture. That sounds like a really good idea! But, when are you gonna post it?
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: trulyfantasticme,Jun 7 2011 on  05:46 PM
I heard you were trying to put all Flyers of the Mysterious Beyond characters into one picture. That sounds like a really good idea! But, when are you gonna post it?
When I've finished it.

I've just about finished designing all the characters, though I'm still not absolutely certain about Artie and Fury's colour schemes. But for now, I'm tracing their initial pencil drawings with my tablet.

Though I have encountered one little problem: Given the size differences (From the tiny Petrie and Harper, to the colossal Zin), it's not gonna be easy to get them all in the same picture. And I'm still deciding how to lay them all out. My current idea, is have them arranged into small groups depending on how the RP goes, and have them perched around different bits of the ledge, with Zin next to the ledge.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Fan of the occult huh? My religion is Earth-based myself, which contains what would be categorized as the "occult".

You mentioned you had paranormal experiences, did that hinge your interest in the occult or was it something else entirely, or both?

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rat_lady7,Jun 15 2011 on  09:51 PM
Fan of the occult huh? My religion is Earth-based myself, which contains what would be categorized as the "occult".

You mentioned you had paranormal experiences, did that hinge your interest in the occult or was it something else entirely, or both?
Well, none of the experiences were overly paranormal or supernatural. At the time, they just seemed odd. But I had always been interested in the paranormal. These events kinda clinched it for me and confirmed my beliefs that there is more at work than is apparent.

But as for the occult, I owe it to the great Old Ones of Lovecraft fame. He's the one that truly got me into the occult, with his tales of the alien, multidimensional beings that once ruled the world, but were banished into the underground and the void by other, equally strange, interdimensional creatures, long before the dawn of mankind. My first occult book was the Necronomicon itself, and the Cthulhu Mythos has always been pretty big for me in terms of the occult. Everything just seems to be there, ready to be made into a functional paradigm, and I regularly work with Cthulhu Mythos workings (along with pagan deities and systems, voodoo, shintoism, esoteric Buddhism, shamanism...)

I think another major player in my interests in the occult, was probably my parents of all people. Strange, when both of them are protestant vicars. I think one reason I got into the occult was some subconscious drive to rebel against them. I had grown up indoctrinated into Christianity. While I have nothing against christianity (I have previously worked with christian-based entities to great effect), I just feel that everyone should have the right to choose their beliefs for themselves, rather than have beliefs shoved in their faces until they accept, like I did.
So this rebellion drove me along a path of exploration and experimentation, to the one thing that defines rebellion against organisation the most: Chaos Magick.

The rest is history.