The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anyone have difficulties with YouTube?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I'm curious to know if this is just my computer acting up, or this happens to everyone. Alright, I click on well, ANYTHING on YouTube and it freezes for a few moments before it boots up, often making me miss some of a video in the process because it will play but the screen is frozen. Other times, videos don't want to load or load super slowly. Is this is a problem with my rickity old laptop, or does this happen to anyone else here, too?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I haven't had any of those problems myself. There could be a couple of causes. I don't think it's Flash because of that were out of date, the videos would never load up. You can try using a couple other browsers. This is just to determine if it's the main browser causing the issues or not. If it is, maybe try upgrading it and see if it works better, or switching to another.

If this isn't the issue, then another idea is to run a virus scan. Spyware and adware can slow the computer down, so try sweeping it and see if that helps. You can also try System Cleanup and see if clearing out the unwanted and unneeded files helps.

If none of that works, your laptop might just need a good cleaning. If you know anyone good with taking apart computers or have enough money to get it professionally done, you can have the laptop cleaned and dusted. There is also the chance that it just needs a new part. Depending on how old your laptop is, there might be something that needs replacing.

There is also the option of getting a new laptop or reinstalling the operating system, but I would not resort to this unless you absolutely have to. If your laptop continues to worsen and develops more problems, then I would recommend considering those options.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Mine is fine, I use Firefox and have no problems what so ever, but I am using a fairly modern laptop that is only a year old an older laptop would run slower or have some problems.

You could try a simple clearing of browsing history and  cache. Sometimes YouTube does slow down for me and 99% of the time  clearing history and cache  fixes it, unless it is an actual problem with my Internet Connection.

What Browser are you using? I know I had problems with Internet  Explorer and Safari, could be a browser problem or an actual a computer problem.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've noticed this a few days ago but I blamed it on my laptop/browser. At the same time, I noticed that my RAM reached unusually high numbers (particularly when browsing facebook...) which often lead to freezing and then crashing of Mozilla. Seems to have vanished though, it's working just fine for me again.
Inactive, probably forever.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The only problems I've had in recent months are related to how both of my computers respond to Adobe Flash Player.

Maybe 25% of the time, a video simply refuses to play. Reloading/refreshing the page fixes it and it starts playing almost instantly every time. This is true with all embedded Flash videos, not just YouTube sources.

I don't know what's up with that. It happens on my laptop (In Ubuntu AND Windows, as it has both on it) and my desktop.