The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anyone on the forum you consider family?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I notice one little thing on alot of forums.  That there are those who consider someone else on the net to be a member of their family, despite not being blood related.

So, is there anyone on the GOF Forum that you consider to be a brother, sister, cousin, etc., despite not being blood related?

As for me, I actually consider Malte to be a sort of brother of mine.  There's quite a bit of respect I hold for him and his lengthy, yet enjoyable, conversations. (Wonder if you're like that in real life.) He brings a rather interesting atmosphere to the area whenever he takes part in the conversations.  I feel at ease with what he has to say.  He has also taught me quite a bit, in more subjects than I care to count.  We've had a couple of friendly debates, (what brothers don't disagree once in a while?) and quite a few mutual understandings.  For these reasons, and more, I consider him to be a brother.  He has definately earned a special place in my heart.

If anyone else comes to mind, I'll make sure to make note of them.

Well, I'll see ya later! :^.^:

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
Oh sure!

Kor's my daddy, Petrie's my annoying little snotty nosed cousin, Nick's my older brother, Tim (Action9000) is my best friend next door. GVGuardian is my other not so annoying snotty nosed little cousin.

Everyone else are my imaginary friends. Your all late for the tea party! I banish you from my imagination!

(all the above is false, and meant to be funny. I do understand the real reason of this thread and so the following text is true)

Action9000 (Tim) is my creative brother and ally =)

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
That's quite a family, Aves! :lol When you say everyone else is your imaginary friends, do you literally mean everyone else on the gang of five? :wow

EDIT: i forgot to add my personal thoughts. I don't consider anyone here to be a family member right now, i guess i haven't been here long enough.

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
there's five more?  :blink:

so that explains why my cookies have had such a terrible shortage in the recent weeks!

but yes. Everyone on these forums xD

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I feel a deep fondness for everyone on these forums, but if I had to say there was one I was closest to, it's prabably GVG.  Like he's like a... like a good friend that you call your bro.
CTY lover is up there, too.  He seems to have a lot in common with me.

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: AvestheForumFox,Mar 26 2008 on  01:55 AM
there's five more?  :blink:

so that explains why my cookies have had such a terrible shortage in the recent weeks!

but yes. Everyone on these forums xD
That's a big let down. Today i found out i was imaginary. :cry

Topic: I don't expect anyone to have me as a family member either :rolleyes: . I've only been here about a month or so, so i'm hardly known. :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Honestly, I can't call someone family that I've never met before.  There are many here that I know more than most other members such as all the admins (with the exception of Nick22 and Littlefoot1616.  They must be in a different time zone or something.  I never see them on.) and of course some senior members such as Latin_EX, Pokeplayer, and Manny Cav.

Seniority is not the only factor that allows me to know someone better.  I don't know as  much about these members as the members stated above, but I must say that these five members have my favoritism despite not having been here a long time:

Aves
Cancerian Tiger
Morani
Kor
Nimrod

It's not hard to get to know someone better.  It would typically take years to get to know someone completely just studying the board and their posts.  MSN Messenger is a must for me if I really want to get to know someone I've met online better.

Still, Family?!  Online, I don't think that's possible.  There's no proof you even are who you say you are.  For all you know, I'm a crazy 90 year old lady. :lol

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Sorry.  I thought it might have been a Japanese name.  Hey, if you just flip the A and the N, it does become that after all. :p  :lol

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Well, I thought about this many times. I would like to have as good as everyone of you in my family. This forum includes so much kind people and it¥s hard to find folks in the internet with who you can have a good conversation. With people from the GOF I can always have a good conversation, that¥s what I like about this place so much. But to come to the point, if I would have to decide I would decide for the following people:

My brothers: Malte 279, Littlefoot, Chiletrek, Spyro.
My sisters: Mumbling, Darkhououman.
My cousins: Landbeforetimelover, Vilstrup, Kor, GVG, LBT/CTY lover

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's funny, Landbeforetimelover, 'cuz you're one of my fav members too  :^.^:!  I also feel a particular fondness toward Kor, Malte, Threehorn, Kjeldo, Mumbling and Mornai.

That does not leave everyone else out, though.  I like everyone on the GOF.  Y'all are a fun and pleasant bunch to be around, and we all love LBT!  How about that :^.^:?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
An interesting question and one that cannot be answered easily (and who would expect a laconic answer from a blatherskite like myself :lol).
It is in a way difficult for me to respond in a way that is neither prone to be misunderstood nor offensive for some people. With such an introduction one might expect me to come up with my usual “scientific” talk about a matter that is way to emotional to be reduced to pure rationality. Nevertheless I think that if I can manage to make one of my hard to explain mainpoints really understandable you may find that it is not based on such cold rationality at all.
Often I am not if "family" is a good term to describe a friendship that is neither the "ordinary every day kind of friendship" (it seems improper to label something as wonderful as friendship with the term "ordinary") but does not have to do anything with romantic love either. Friendship and Family are both totally different and very similar depending on the aspects we are looking at. Some people say “blood is thicker than water”, but I don’t really agree. In my idea of a great friendship I couldn’t care less about whether or not a friend of mine shares my blood. If a good friend happens to be a member of the family, what does it matter when he does?
The term family used on a friendship is not supposed to cover any such biological questions, but as very often these questions are the definition for the term family I don’t really know if the term is well chosen to describe a close friendship. Maybe such a term is not even needed if both friends in such a friendship just have this mutual understanding of how precious that friendship is.

Our member Littlefoot met me in a land before the time of the GOF in Januay 2002. In many ways we had a mutual understanding though sometimes different ways of looking at things. He soon offered me brotherhood and seeing it as a closer term of friendship I was happy and honored to accept it and this brotherhood continues to this day.

Unfortunately I made many experiences where friendship didn’t last or turn out to be what it should have been. Three times I lost people whom I regarded very, very close friends. The first was a friend with whom I had been playing land before time in my kindergarten days (though our friendship was not based on LBT only of course). We were bloodbrothers (and I mean this absolutely literally). But in 1999 he went down a road from which I couldn’t keep him and where I couldn’t follow him. I regreted the breaking up of our friendship ever since and always wonder if I could have done anything after all. To what degree should I have acted more like a friend in that days rather than being just shocked about his actions? Once I send him a letter hoping that perhaps we could meet one more time and at least part in a more reconciled way than we did, but I never got an answer.
The second friend was family, a cousin of mine. He did not share my LBT enthusiasm, but tolerated it same as I tolerated his whims. We were going to highschool together and getting along just fine. After the return from my students exchange I saw him for the first time in almost six month standing in a group of fellow students. I greeted him enthusiastically. He looked at me over his shoulder, said “hello” and turned back. To this day I have no idea what happened, but from that day he would always give me the cold shoulder, but denied that there was anything wrong when I asked him about it.
The third friend was a land before time fan I got to know in the internet. We met twice in real live, we were working on LBT projects, we seemed to understand each other just perfect. And all of a sudden his emails became extremely rare. He had some harsh times and I really did a lot trying to liften his spirits. I sent him a book titled “Kopf Hoch” (“Cheer up”) which I thought might help him. I had this drawing with some text bubbles in the book:

But nothing helped.
At last he sent me a mail which I think was very, very harsh. He did point out failures of mine which undoubtedly exist but failures which I really don’t think are of any significance to our friendship. He asked me how I could possibly be happy with most of my activities being creative rather than social. He blamed me that I rarely met with friends and that he didn’t want to keep contact with me because he felt that I was so different from him.
To this day I don’t really see how the fact that I do not meet with friends in real life very often affected our friendship and looking at that email as objectively as I can I must say that it doesn’t speak much for his own understanding of friendship. I do think that he lost interest in LBT and that this was the main reason for his sudden silence. I regret this very much as LBT or no LBT I didn’t perceive our friendship as something that ought to have stood or fallen with that interest.

With these experiences it is possible that I have become a bit overcautious if it comes to friendships. Sometimes I think I did not pick up a diamond which I found for fear of loosing it again. Sometimes I think I did not pick up a diamond I found for fear of finding a scratch on it. In either case not to pick up that diamond is a rather foolish thing to do.
In real life I am usually friendly to anyone and I am treated with equal friendliness by most people. Nevertheless it is often a friendly but superficial relationship. I don’t have any friend comparable to the friendships in the land before time in real live and perhaps this is one of several cornerstones for my whole enthusiasm for the land before time.
I found many great friends here in the Gang of Five.
Of course I don’t know everyone as well as I know some of you. I got to know people here whom I would loved to get to know better, but who don’t seem to be as interested, which must be respected of course. I also realize that sometimes I may come across as “not as interested” on some MSN chats. Often the reason is that there are so many windows popping up on MSN and it becomes impossible to give everyone the attention which he or she deserves. At the moment I’m quite frequently on MSN due to the fact that until university lectures will start again in April I have a lot of free time.
I cannot rate friendships anymore than I can name favorite LBT characters or movies and I think that my great friends here know about this great friendship same as I do.
There is one friendship here which I want to describe a bit more as I consider it something special because of the way this friendship came about.
I am scary at times. I don’t aim for it, but my way of talking and arguing about all kinds of matters does intimidate some people. Not all of my views are popular and sometimes I am acting in such a theatrical manner that it is little surprise if some people think of me as just plain weird. To others I may come across as something of a cold fish when rationality seems to leave no room for emotion in some of the things I write. Sometimes I’m reading a “lively discussion” where others are reading a “dreadful quarrel”. And sometimes I am perceived just as a kind of boogie man.
One member of the Gang of Five who often doesn’t share my views was scared of me. Nevertheless this member was “courageous” enough to get to know me better and to find that there isn’t so much courage required to deal with Malte. The resulting friendship of this discovery lasts to this day. There are many things we do not agree on, there are very different interests and perceptions of many things and I don’t doubt that, in real life, we are entirely different personalities. But I will always appreciate this member for not allowing the bad first impression of me to remain unchangeable set in stone.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
(Wonder if you're like that in real life.)
Yesternight I had a microphone chat with Kacie. She may be able to say something on my way of talking instead of writing. I don't think anything you might say on that one could be taken as an offense on my end Kacie :lol

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
well... lets see

sisters: mumbling orchid 1616(?)

as far this is the list, there are some other members, but i don't know of they think the same of me,(sigh)

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: kjeldo,Mar 26 2008 on  05:06 PM
sisters: mumbling orchid 1616(?)
I see the Dutch are sticking together...heh...

Personally I don't know if I've been here long enough to really state that I consider anyone as a brother or sister. Also there is the fact that my views on the matter are somewhat obscured by my own (real) brother.

This sounds terrible and obnoxios, but at best I find my little brother "tolerable". He's twelve, but I swear that he acts like a seven-year old, but in a bad way. I've also given up trying to play games of any kind with him too, as being three years older I inevitably have a higher chance of success. This would be okay if it wern't for his terrible attitude to losing (coupled with a short temper with is a dengerous combination. Almost needless to say that I am now very good at dealing with various household objects coming extremly fast in my direction).

For this reason I've always considered friendship to be of greater value than "brotherhood" or "sisterhood". After all, generally you are stuck with whatever brothers or sisters you're landed with, but your friends are the people you choose to spend time with.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Malte and Tim are my bro's. :D :D :p  (I've always wanted to say something like that before.)

No, really, I've known Malte longer than the GOF has been around, and we could write a book on all the stuff we sent through email in the old days.  We had a page up for a while on deleted LBT scenes with pictures and everything...pretty fun. :)

Tim, I could spend a night on MSN talking about audio stuff and music stuff and we'd never bore of it.  :)

They're my family here.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And you bet I'm glad to be part of this family Adam! :yes

By the way, do you have a different MSN address than the one in your profile pokeplayer? It is a long time when I saw you last time on MSN. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 26 2008 on  03:16 PM
And you bet I'm glad to be part of this family Adam! :yes

By the way, do you have a different MSN address than the one in your profile pokeplayer? It is a long time when I saw you last time on MSN. :)
Big thing is that I haven't done MSN in quite a while.  So it's still the same one. :)

EDIT: Never mind!  It seems like the program was removed from my computer some time ago.  Give me a minute to reinstall it.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Malte, that is a very nice pic ya sent to who ya regarded as a friend.  I, too, find it difficult to keep friends.  See, I've always been something of a backstabber magnet.  All of my "best friends" turned out to be major double-crossers, and I thought I was kind by being a friend to them when they did'nt have any(that should've been a red flag).  I have especially found it difficult to find folks who appreciate LBT, and was picked on a lot because of it when I was younger.  That's what I like about being in the real world.  Nobody gives a rat's toot about your likes and dislikes as long as these interests do not hurt others, such as compulsive gambling or drug addiction.  Growing up, I was very much like Ducky in the sense of being an "underdog," but I finally grew a pair and don't care what others think of me.  I was picked on far too long to tolerate it now :angry:!

Well, that's enough info on me for now.  The point I am trying to make is that I know personally what it's like to have difficulty with friendships.  But no worries Malte or anyone else on the GOF who have the same difficulty.  I sense we're a great bunch here and are something of a "cyber LBT fan family."

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Aren't we all family in one way or another? I mean, we all like The Land Before Time. That is what draws us together.