The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Celebrate! GOF's 5 Year Anniversary

Petrie. · 53 · 3861

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I know I'm early but if you've read my newest posts, I'm not going to be around to do stuff later or tomorrow, so I had to put everything up a day early.

This topic was made to share memories of our past five years online, in any way you choose.  They're all important in some way. :) :)

I'll start off with an email message I sent to Malte back in 2003 (he found it):

----- Original Message -----
To: Tyrannosaurus@treestars.net
Cc: Malte P
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 6:35 PM
Subject: Treestars.net ezboard forums

See what you think of the coloring and all...I'm not out to put a billion images there since I think it will mostly be used for feedback in the fanzone.

http://pub53.ezboard.com/bgangoffive

We didn't even begin as the Gang of Five but rather I had made forums for feedback on the now defunct treestars.net site I had which showcased LBT artwork that was around at the time.  The feedback was not working, and the general LBT section I had made was more active so the feedback section was dropped, and we were rechristened The Gang of Five in 2004 and its been that way ever since.

Our local historian is likely to correct me, but that's how I remember it all starting.

Post your GOF memories!  That's an order from the boss.  :lol  :angel

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well since I haven't been here for even a year yet, I don't really have a lot of memories to post. However, I will recall that cruel yet funny April Fool's joke this year when you guys made it seem that Universal was taking over our website and people were getting arrested and fined. I was like, WTF! Then you guys told us it was a joke, and you guys got us all really good.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Oct 11 2008 on  08:19 AM
Well since I haven't been here for even a year yet, I don't really have a lot of memories to post. However, I will recall that cruel yet funny April Fool's joke this year when you guys made it seem that Universal was taking over our website and people were getting arrested and fined. I was like, WTF! Then you guys told us it was a joke, and you guys got us all really good.
 :DD Yeah I remember that.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Oct 11 2008 on  03:19 PM
Top that :p

Good memories? Well, all the friendly faces around here :) Haven't been around too long but I can say it has changed my life.  :lol:

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This forum is a home away from home for me it has been since I joined.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I am going to post some stuff here today too since it's most likely I won't be here tomorrow either.

I'll just start from the begginning.

2006-The first time I heard of this forum, Darkhouomon showed me this forum if I wanted to join. At first I thought of joining, but because something happened in a different place, I suddenly didn't trust practically anyone online(I still don't just not as much) because I saw the majorty of people seemed to be in their 20s or something I knew I was going to be the odd one out. :p

2007-08-I went on another LBT forum as we can see above in the links of other forums, which was Tropicalia's LBT forum. Then I saw someone named "Petrie" and another named "Malte" join. Little did I know that they were the admins of an older LBT forum and the first one I was introduced to!  :wow So I looked over that forum and I thought, "You know what I am older now and I experienced the quiet and more gentle LBT forum, I could probably join this one. So I did in May 08. I remember getting a lot of welcomes from everyone and the only person that questioned about my really weird username was landbeforetimelover. I still remember the words:

"Excuse me...but Ratlady? Explain what your username means in the "What does your username mean?" topic. I'd love to hear that story!"  :lol

Even I haven't been here long I sure have a lot of memories for this year:
*I was going on a PMing spree at one point where I was saying "Hi, and how are you!" to other people here. Not going to name names, you know who you all are. :DD

*I remember I went pretty crazy in the "Party Room" and the "After Midnight". They seem to be my favorite sections on the whole forum.  :smile The Party Room because you can act all crazy and such and After Midnight because it's the safe place to talk about topics truly interest me and get me all intense, philosophical, and spiritual.

*I remember I was unhappily shocked at the advice I was given on my forum I posted here, mostly my fault, I titled the topic "Forum Advice" but I just wanted advice on what site to use for a forum.

*I remember the Member Appriciation thread I made that people seem to use not all the time but a make a good use of it. I'm glad I was able to contribute the the community that way, even if it seemed too easy or small.

*And speaking of threads, I remember making one of my older ones, the "Self-Esteem" one that made people feel safe to go, "You know what I am insecure and have low self esteem and that's okay!" I couldn't believe all of the nice and well thought out helpful comments I was getting from in all directions. This is what I mean when I say that the GOF is a unique forum. You guys care!

*I remember that disagreement me and CT had over her favorite LBT character(I'm sure you all know who this character is), but that was resolved quickly. And I just want to say, this ch has been growing on me a bit. I grudingly confess that many of my negative qualities as well as positive personality traits are a lot like Cera's. Honestly, I think me and CT do have more in common then we realize.

So yes, I remember many, many, many, things here. Some good, some not so good, but man I really thank Adam for starting this forum and I thank all of the members for making this forum come alive!

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
Quote from: Mumbling,Oct 11 2008 on  09:48 AM
Well, all the friendly faces around here :)
and you only saw photo's! but whatever, happy 5-year anniversary whole GoF! :rolleyes

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I've only joined this site several months ago, but still Happy 5th Birthday GoF site.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
All that I can remember is how nice, warm, friendly, and welcoming all of you all have been! :DD  :smile  :angel

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
What I can remember is,...

...I found the GOF after looking for some information of LBT when they aired an LBT movie.

... first, I lurked here for a few days and then decided to register, which it was a great idea. ^^

... I ran to the Fanart Section to post fanarts. Thanks to the GOF, I have found my true passion: Drawing. =D

... then there was this april fools joke with Universal. I thought it would end there but it was just a joke. It really scared me.

... after I have been here for awhile posting artwork, I inspired other people to draw too. ^_^

But the best thing is, being here with all of you guys celebrating the 5th Anniversary of the "Gang of Five"!  :DD  :lol:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I will write in more detail tomorrow when the day is at hand, but unless I'm confusing something here this thread reveals just how fleeting a thing memory can be (either on my own part or on yours). Was not the april fool's joke that upset everyone so much this year about Jason, Tim, and me banning each other as a consequence of a fake quarrel?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Tim also had a joke in the LBT projects part, and that's the one that made most impact so it seems.

I remembered just now that GoF opened up my creative part.. singing and drawing. Which is really cool even though I cant do it too much of lately. (Today I just a shrek drawing of 187x 146 cm :p It's huge!)

And I'm sorry for still not having finished the latest singing project, school has been on my mind a lot..

Ya know, Time has gone fast. I joined waay back in february, you guys know how much I've changed ;) that's mainly thanks to this forum and I'm loving it for that too.

Littlefoot90

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://lbtwelt.npage.ch/
I wish the GOF forum everything the best for the fifth birthday :rolleyes:  :lol:  :wave  :birthday  :birthday

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Wow five years, the most active, and probably oldest active forum I am part of

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Not quite the oldest ;)
In fact our roots go back more than 5 years.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, thisplace is really 5 years old, huh? Well, I guess I'll say Happy Birthday to the GOF, and I hope it has many more. This place is truely one of a kind.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 5 years, that's a lot of years indeed :wow . Like many people, I first knew of this place by the links from youtube, but I never joined and I even forgot about this place. Some time later, again, searching for videos I came up with the link again and, this time, I actually clicked it and crash-landed here. I spent many days checking the page only as a guest and then I said "why not" and I registered.
 What I think makes this page different to many other pages is that this place is like a safe haven in the internet (I know other places like this one in terms of safety) because there are really no fights or problems, and when they are they are solved most quickly, making this place also very efficient. And everybody is here to lend a hand when the need arises, and there are also many fun topics to post ideas too.
 Long life and prosper Gang of Five!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
Of the online communities I frequent, the GoF has to be the nicest and most welcoming. Thanks to jedi472 for telling me about this place. :)
Hard to believe it's been 5 years. And almost 20 years since LBT's theatrical release. Wow, talk about milestones.

Happy Birthday GoF! Here's to many more.  :DD

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
What I remember.........let me think.  I've been a member for a little over a year now, but there was a lot of......complications at the beginning.  This was my first online forum (sorta strange since I'm a computer obsessed dude, but it's the truth) and I didn't know exactly how to behave.  I made some people angry at me and I actually thought I had made some enemies, however over time I realized that everyone here is so nice and decent that making an enemy out of them would quite difficult.  Still, I didn't want to press my luck or make others unhappy so I tried my very best to word my posts better so people wouldn't get offended by them.

I had almost gotten a warning for..........something.  I'll have to look over my saved MSN conversation with Malte to remember exactly what it was.  The point is that the road was pretty rocky the first 6-9 months or so.  However, I recognized my flaws and have tried my best to correct them since then.  

In the area of design, not much as changed since I've been here.  The member color scheme changed and the background changed, but other than that there really hasn't been a lot of change (aside from the holiday decorations and the changes that have happened today).  I still like our old background better but I've gotten used to this one.  Changing it to the old one now just wouldn't feel right.

In the area of people, correct me if I'm wrong but I think I was the 140'somethingth member here so there have been a lot of new members since I joined.

GOF made me realize that I wasn't so odd to still like LBT at my age.  Having no one around me with even remotely the same likes as I had sorta made me feel like an odd ball all my life, but GOF allowed me to recognize that sure I'm in the minority, but I'm not in a club all on my own. :smile

GOF inspired me to create my LBT website, and I thought that most of my visitors would come from GOF, but surpisingly a lot of them are coming from google searches.  I can't even tell you how many people were directed to GOF from my website.  10?  20 maybe?  I'm very happy I'm able to help GOF for all it's done for me and I'm glad it inspired me to create my own website.  

I know it sounds dumb, but I feel like I've been here my whole life.  Living without GOF now just wouldn't feel right.  I have my own "online life" and GOF is now a part of that.  A big part.  Sure it's not the only thing in my online life, however it would leave quite a gap if it went away.  It's not GOF itself that I love so much, it's all the people that are on it.  If we had to go to some crappy old board with no design, no smilies, no signatures, no avatars, and it was just ugly, if it still had all of you, I would definitely still go to it.  I'm not saying that the admins here are doing all this design work for nothing.  I LOVE the work they do to make GOF pretty.  I'm just saying that the main thing I love about GOF is the people.

Well that's about all I can think of for now.  See y'all later! ;)