The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Let's discuss the sequels...

dino-doug

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Let's see... I stopped after the tenth one. I own 1 through 6 on vhs, I rented 7, bought 8 (I liked how they started enhancing the animation in this one.), rented 9 and 10... I vaguely remember seeing 7, 9, and 10. I like how the tenth one introduced Littlefoot's dad. Now, they just sound retarded. "Invasion of the Tinysauruses"? "The Wisdom of Friends"? What kind of titles are those?!? I read an article about the 12th one, "Great Day of the Flyers". Sounds interesting. It's got a Spinosaur in it! Anyways, I've been showing the movies to my nephew who stays with us on weekends. I like that they introduced the character Chomber in the second one. I like that they included raptors in the third one, instead of just reusing T-Rex. I lost the fourth one, but I like that they gave littlefoot a girlfriend, Ali, and there was the alligator and the bird... They were funny. And Spike spoke! LOL... Gotta love Spike! I think he's my fav! (He is my rank on TGOF, btw!) The fifth one cracked me up... The dialogue between Chomper and his parents, his mom giving Cera a goofy smile after she hugs her leg, and they even wave good bye when the Plesiosaur takes the gang back to the Great Valley! lol... Oh, and I liked the sixth one. The Lone Dinosaur, Doc, voiced by Kris Kristopherson, was a good character. He was like a cowboy dinosaur! And I like that it snowed in the eighth one, and Spike got to spend some time with the other spike-tails. The only problems I have with them are the irritating songs. I liked them as a kid, but now... ugh! And none of them could match the magic of the original.

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I've only seen up to 8. I agree with you about the songs, I always fast forward through them. What's your favourite sequel? Mine's stone of cold fire, but I don't think any of the sequels can beat the original.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmm...Of all the sequels, the one I saw the most as a kid was 4 (only had that one and the original film), and I thought it was awesome for giving Littlefoot a love interest. I know I saw 2 at some point, because I had vague memories of a sharptooth baby.

Then, when LBT 7 came out, they ran an advert for it in a kids magazine I was reading at the time, and I honestly went "Seven? There's seven of these films?". So over the next few days, I went to the video store and borrowed the ones I hadn't seen. 2 I liked, 3 annoyed me (bullies), 5 was great, 6 I got bored watching for some reason. I remember watching 7 and loving it.

The next year 8 came out. This was the last one I saw for a while, because I rented that and thought it was bad. When 9 came out I had stopped caring (I remember perhaps one advert, but aside from that nothing). By the time 10 came out, the adverts were everywhere and I noticed them, but I was also starting to pay attention again because I'd heard on the imdb forums that Littlefoot's father was in this one.

I didn't see it, but when 11 came out on DVD, my dad bought it because it included the first movie with it. I saw it, and thought it simple kids fare (although I despised that Girls and Dads song...that note at the end just sounds off to me). After a while, I wanted to see the films again and catch up, plus I hated the idea of only having "Part 11" on the DVD shelf, so I started tracking down the films from the stores. I got 5, 6 and 10 first, and despite my memories, this time I preferred 6 to 5. 10 was alright, but Littlefoot's voice actor annoyed me so much that I rarely watched this one afterwards.

I think I got the three-pack next, with the first two sequels (I liked 3 better this time). Dad tracked down 12 for me (and I thought it was actually pretty good) and I got 4, 7, 8 & 9 at a Christmas sale. 4 wasn't as good as I remembered, 7 was still great, I liked 8 better this time (although I didn't think Ducky's voice actor sounded right anymore), and 9 was ok. Finally, my Dad found 13 for me. I actually didn't find it that bad (probably because my method of watching these films is to muck around on my computer with the movie playing in the background).

Out of memory, I'd say 5 & 6 are my faves, followed by 7, 12, 2, 3, 8, 4, 9, 13, 11 & 10. I certainly agree with Dino-doug about the animation, I love the way the newer films look.

EDIT: Although, now that I think about it, one thing annoyed me about the DVD for 12; the unskippable adverts at the beginning. When I got it, I sat down to watch the film, and was greeted with 5 minutes of unskippable (although thankfully fast-forwardable) adverts for Barbie. At the time I went "Barbie?! LBT isn't a girls-only franchise!?"

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
My favorite sequels are 4, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13 and the tv series.