The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rhett - April 2020 (April Fools)

rhombus · 66 · 9780

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
This topic has totally come up before, and I will repeat what I stated, and that the issue with the Brave Longneck Scheme is that LBT4 Ali and TV series Ali are like two different characters. Ali is the deal-breaker in the episode, and all of us just take it out on Rhett by proxy.

There's no doubt the episode was a dud in the "Ali's return" aspect of it. Anybody who thought that lousy purple (PURPLE???!!) Ali counted was losing it. It's actually Ali, not Rhett, who gets my vote for the worst character in the episode.

One thing remains constant throughout all fandoms and it's you don't mess with the shippers  :bestsharptooth

True, true! That's why you won't find me bringing up, say, MLP ships in YouTube comments, because, well, "I got a thing to do, and it's called LIVE..." :lol

What I actually find interesting about this episode is that usually any of Cera's or Littlefoot's plans get rebutted by the other. In this instance they were both completely united with doing whatever it took to get Ali to see the lies.

Hmm...are you suggesting Cera could be a "Shipper on Deck" of sorts? :p I think she was just angry that even though (back in IV) she'd finally gotten past her pride enough to extend her friendship to Ali, Ali turned around and snubbed her this time.

Heck, bring Rhett back as well I think that would be fun haha.
Sure, let's watch this discussion board go up in flames! :bestsharptooth BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmm...are you suggesting Cera could be a "Shipper on Deck" of sorts? :p I think she was just angry that even though (back in IV) she'd finally gotten past her pride enough to extend her friendship to Ali, Ali turned around and snubbed her this time.
I just find it interesting that both Littlefoot and Cera both seem to be angry enough to work together without arguement. (though I did watch the episode 3 times in a row today on Discord for the luls and I suppose there was a small point in which Littlefoot questions Cera's plan, but is fine with it once he finds that Chomper is ok with it)

Sure, let's watch this discussion board go up in flames! :bestsharptooth BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
I'm down  :PCera

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Rhettocalypse!!!! :rhett_angry :rhett_brag :rhett_grin :rhett_ohno :rhett_ohsnap :rhett_shocked :rhett_smile :M'Rhett :rhett_upset

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
I started writing this with the intention of defending Rhett, but, even with notes I took about him from when I last watched TBLS on hand, I can't actually remember much about him that I liked other than his facial expressions, his ridiculous stories and Elizabeth Daily's portrayal of the character.

This is what I wrote about him on a thread on the wiki where I attempted to look over all of the episodes:

+ rhett, as much of an arrogant wimp as he is, is funny and more entertaining than the tv series should have any right to manage; his expressions and e.g. daily's delivery sell him

+ rhett's stories are ridiculous to the point of being amusing

Besides that, I don't really recall him having much of a personality beyond "cocky liar", and I can't for the life of me remember anything about him that was actually interesting and not just amusing.

Combined with how I either subject him to or allow him to be subjected to horrible pain/death whenever he shows up in the wiki's collaborative stories, maybe that says something about how I actually feel about the character; I might rewatch 'The Brave Longneck Scheme' later this month to refresh my thoughts on the character.

To end this on something of a positive note, a quick Rhett made with this thread in mind:

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
A couple serious words about Rhett from me.

Persoonally, I never hated Rhett at all.
Disliking him after first waching of TV episode? Well, yes.
But I believe if he gets more screentime and has a chance to show more of his personality, it would be great.

My reaction about setting Rhett as #1 LBT scapegoat by many people is here:
https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=16402.msg486755#msg486755
Even if it is only for laughs and jokes, I still, that's kinda sad.

For me, Rhett is just another victim of TV series format, where our guest characters present only in one 20-minutes episode, where 1/5 of screentime them are songs. There's he's some random faceless bad boy, almost like some episodic charactee, who gets forgotten for good after we finish watching episode, or who becomes object of jokes and hatred.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Rhett is the Jess (Gilmore Girls) of LBT.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've never really hated him either honestly (that I can remember at least). Sure the episode was not great but I don't think it was because of Rhett. When it comes down to it, I actually think Rhett's character is extremely believable. From what we know there's not really any children in Ali's herd (whether intentional or just for focusing the story on the main characters) so it could be the situation in which Rhett, who doesn't have any friends, now meets up with Ali when they join herds. This would be his first opportunity to make a friend. If he's worried about his self confidence, one of the things you would do is boast about yourself to make yourself appear better then you are to others in the hopes that someone likes you. I've seen this happen more then once in real life throughout school.  It usually ends up being counter intuitive, at least in my case as you can usually tell that the person is full of it after a while (much like Littlefoot and Cera's reaction). By the end of the episode he potentially learns his lesson and with Littlefoot's offer ends up becoming friends with the gang. From there, he would hopefully learn that he doesn't have to lie to make friends. Honestly, if it wasn't for Ali being in this episode and the focus was on Rhett I would actually say that this episode would be pretty good. Or if they expanded more on this throughout a couple episodes to give Ali more screen time and give Rhett some more development.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay you guys are asking for it, I am triggered. Let's do this!

The following message is something my proofreader wrote yesterday when he learned about Rhett month actually being a thing and there is no way I could word any better what he has put into text quite masterfully. Please do enjoy, it matches my opinion to the max! (PS: to those on discord who have been playing CAH with us, yes this is Anonymous Critic's message)

Mini rant: He doesn’t deserve a month. He’s a one dimensional villain who exists purely to be a love rival to Littlefoot and a poor one at that. I’m not against creating characters with a specific purpose in mind since Ali was made to be Littlefoot’s love interest, but she still had a character of her own that could have been developed if the writers had any idea how to properly use her. Rhett on the other hand is a rival first and a character second. That could potentially work for a villain except, since he doesn’t pose a legitimate threat in any meaningful capacity, his entire existence is predicated upon the degradation of Ali so his one character trait works. Dedicating a month to him is almost insulting given how if Ali was allowed to be her proper self again, instead of that cheap imitation from the TV series, then he’d be nothing more than a nuisance with no reason to exist. Rhett is founded on contrivance, made to be a rival for the love of a girl who logically would have no interest in him considering their complete incompatibility. Creating a character that relies entirely on those around them being OOC, especially my favorite, is incredibly lazy and shouldn’t be rewarded with a month.

Uhh, Amen  :^^spike

Now with this matter settled, since I obviously can't do anything about it, I'll just have to go along, I guess. I've thought about how to sabotage this and the only thing that comes to mind is the following. While I say sabotage (and I mean it), it's up to your interpretation whether this is actually a contribution or not  :^^spike

Now without further ado, I shall present...

30 ways to kill off Rhett

April has 30 days so there will be 30 short stories in which Rhett will end up dying in some way or another. Since I skipped yesterday by that definition, there will be two stories today.

Enjoy it or reconsider how your Rhett praise makes others feel because I'm merely turning the tables a liiiiittle bit here ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Cliffs are dangerous

One day, Ali's herd passed by large crack in the ground, possibly a tragic by-product of the countless earthshakes rampaging their lands every so often. Rhett was excited when he saw the crack. A plan forming in his flat head, he started to approach the pink longneck girl.

"Hey Ali, let's check this awesome crack out!" he exclaimed full of anticipation. There was something he definitely wanted to show Ali - after all he still hadn't managed to win the girl with his sheer awesomeness so something had to be done about it. Ali halted in her gentle walk, looking over to the crack too as if she had only just barely discovered its very existance.

"Oh, well, I guess it's fine," Ali replied with a neutral expression. "Just don't get too close to the edge."

Rhett smirked internally. If Ali was worried about him falling off, then it must mean that she actually loved him, right?

"Sure, I'll get away from the edge after I've taken a good look at the whole thing!" he announced boldly, running ahead until he stopped right at the edge if it.

"Rhett, no, it's dangerous!" Ali called, increasing her speed to catch up with Rhett.

"Aww don't be a scare-dy egg, Ali. Look how brave I am, standing right here on this e..."

That was when Rhett realized something was wrong. Terribly wrong. Suddenly, the floor below him started cracking, small pebbles dislodging from the rock he was standing on.

"See, see I TOLD you!" Ali cried, entering a mad sprint to reach Rhett in time. "Get off that rock!!!"

"I KNOW, okay?!" Rhett shouted rather angrily. This stupid rock had entirely ruined his chance to impress Ali and now it was about to fall into the crack he meant to inspect. Anger rising up within the beige-coloured longneck, he flexed his muscles and prepared to...

*crack*

Before Rhett got a chance to leap, the small ledge he was standing on broke clean off. Uttering a yelp, Rhett tried to jump anyway but his face smacked into the rock wall. Over Ali's terrified screams, he had to watch helplessly as his body started obeying to gravity as it slid at first, then tumbled down the impossibly steep cliff, all of while screaming as the sharp rock tore is skin open. Finally, he felt himself being tossed into free-falling. He could hear Ali's desperate screams for a very long time before, finally, the bottom of the abyss began to approach with rapid speed. Before Rhett could consider any last words, his body smacked into unforgiving rock and he knew no more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not enough? No problem, today is a special day! Two deaths for the price of one!  :exactly

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Don't jump over a crack, or you'll definitely break your neck!

On a sunny day, Littlefoot and his friends were playing with Mo in the water. Recently, they had discovered a new game to play which they had dubbed "Toss Mo". The concept was quite simple. Two ponds in the Valley were quite close to each other, separated by a field of pebbles and small rocks. Littlefoot and Ali stood on each ends of the pond, acting as a ramp to launch Mo high enough to make it all the way across much to the swimmers' enjoyment and the landwalkers' amusement, admittedly. Very rarely, Cera, Spike and Ruby had to rush in to "catch" Mo and, slowly, they were becoming really good at this new 'sport'.

One longneck, however, viewed this new activity with a grain of salt. Rhett couldn't play with Ali ever since that stupid game was introduced since the girl would rather partake in it instead of hanging out with him. Why wouldn't she just play Rescue with him instead? Wasn't it so much better than propelling a stupid colourful swimmer into the air while watching him squeal like an idiot? No, that was not Rhett's kind of humor, not at all! Frantically, while fuming some distance away from the main activity, he was searching for a way to bribe Ali's attention until he finally found a solution! Determined to show her how awesome he was, Rhett got to his feet and approached the group.

"Hey, that game looks like fun, I wanna jump too!" he announced loudly as he entered the scene. Eight confused eyes were suddenly directed at him and he could swear seeing the threehorn rolling her eyes at him and the flyer facepalming but Rhett didn't mind. His eyes were on Ali who was on the left pond while Littlefoot was on the right pond. Naturally, Rhett chose the one Littlefoot was standing at, approaching with a glee grin.

"What the spiketail are you up to, Rhett?" Littlefoot wondered in confusion. "You can't jump from pond to pond, it's quite a drop you know?"

"Oh yeah?" Rhett said arrogantly. "Maybe YOU can't but I'm definitely better and stronger than you so I can make it. Just you watch!"

Without further ado and ignoring all warnings the gang was offering, Rhett walked to the edge of the pond. There was roughly a longneck length he could utilize to pick up speed before reaching a solid rock to lift him off. From this perspective, he couldn't see how far he had to jump and, if he could, he would have probably developed secondary thoughts but Rhett's stupidity knew no limits when he was about to brag to Ali so the boy flexed his muscled and began to sprint. Faster and faster he ran and his confidence grew by the second. With a feeling of euphoria and ecstacy, Rhett rammed his legs into the boulder with all he got, catapulting himself to amazing heights. There was no doubt he was capable, even Cera had to admit that, but even this amazing, testosterone-laden jump wasn't nearly enough to get the longneck all the way across. Naturally, nobody had positioned themselves to catch the longneck in case of emergency because, hands down, nobody could catch a longneck of Rhett's build even if they honestly tried. To make matters worse, Rhett's hindlegs had given him such a boost, that the longneck's rear began to overtake his front. As is in slow motion, Rhett was tilting mid-air, all the while slowly losing altitude, then quickly losing altitude while facing the floor head-first.

*crash*

With an unsettling mixture of flesh meeting rock with the unpleasant addition of an audible bone cracking upon the impact, Rhett came down at last. He had only made it across half of the distance, landing in the middle of the rocky area inbetween the ponds head-first. After everyone was done screaming in fear, Littlefoot was the first to dare look what had happened to Rhett. He needn't get close to the body to know that Rhett's stupidity had taken his young life. Rhett's neck was bent by 90 degrees, his eyes still open but empty aside from an expression of fear forever itched into his lifeless orbs. Littlefoot didn't know what to feel; the whole situation was simply too surreal! One moment ago that idiot had been talking and now he was...

"Well..." Cera finally offered drily. "I was always right about longnecks being inferior to us threehorns. Our necks are tougher than... this." No one laughed but no one cried either. There was only an awkward silence until Littlefoot broke it at last.

"Well, so this happened. Let's just... go home for now. Nothing we can do, right?"

"Yeah, let's go home," Cera replied drily and everyone else nodded in mute shock before heading to their respective homes, leaving Rhett's lifeless body behind. Only weeks later, it would be found at last as nobody ever dared to mention this incident to their folks nor did they ever play that game again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ducky out, see y'all tomorrow with a new story *popcorn eat*

Inactive, probably forever.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
My two cents: I don't see any issues with a Rhett month. I don't have any ill feelings towards the character myself. I don't mind joking about him and I can understand why he's disliked by some fans. But for me, myself, I can't really hate him. Having a Rhett month is nothing to get upset about. It's just not worth wasting negative energy on. There's far more concerning things going on that deserve more attention than a oneshot character getting a bit of spotlight.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Nice Rhett drawing @Nanotyrannus!

That's an interesting thought, @Sneak--if Rhett actually got more screen time, he might prove to be an interesting character. The TV show wasted waaaay too much time on songs...and most of those songs were the worst! All those times when the characters would basically just start singing their conversation without it even rhyming...yuck!

@Flathead770 You have some really good points! Rhett's actions do make a lot of sense if you think about it. Growing up, I also met plenty of kids who, like him, were just doing whatever they could to fit with the crowd. Having some follow-up to this episode later on in the series could've gone deeper into this, which would've done a lot to make him a more sympathetic character. Giving Ali another episode where she actually had the chance for more screen time would've helped things, too!

This thread kinda seems to be pointing to the conclusion that without the Phony Ali problem, Rhett actually could have been a pretty decent character... :rhett_shocked

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I enjoyed it being the first one I've experienced on the forum but he is fictitious and people need to stop taking it too seriously all the time. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:38:43 PM by Enchanted-Valley96 »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Does anyone know where I can rent the episode that features Rhett?

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Does anyone know where I can rent the episode that features Rhett?
The Brave Longneck Scheme is on Youtube through the official LBT Youtube channel. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edj-Yl_6s4g

enjoy yr rhetting :rhett_smile
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I gotta say I like the episode.

I don't know why people have a problem with Rhett, they needed a conflictual friendship story in one episode and they needed a character for Littlefoot and Cera to argue with and that's where Rhett comes in.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I am, of course, referring to the Useless Sharptoot from LBT VI.

Sharptoot? Are you sure Rhett wasn't writing this, @rhombus ? :lol

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I am, of course, referring to the Useless Sharptoot from LBT VI.

Sharptoot? Are you sure Rhett wasn't writing this, @rhombus ?
:lol

Sharptoots are our clan’s secret weapon. Methane will be harnessed oneday to power our cave systems. :p :lol :lol :lol

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It is little known that the useless sharptooth from the sixth film was named Sharptoot.  :p This sadly set him up for a lifetime of being hilariously inept.  :bestsharptooth

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It is little known that the useless sharptooth from the sixth film was named Sharptoot.  :p This sadly set him up for a lifetime of being hilariously inept.  :bestsharptooth
Best headcanon ever... :lol :lol :lol

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

He has been expelled from our Sharptooth Clan. His tooting was making members gag. :lol :lol :lol

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
It's so good to misspell Sharptotoh.
I'm master in this.
6/14
0/26