The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My laptop's infected! x (

Jrd89 · 35 · 4246

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Ok, I'M BACK! :) I picked it up from the repair shop today. The repair/bot/malware/trojan/virus cleanout costed $135.

My computer is absolutely great (here's what they did, all the programs were erased (that I installed since I got the laptop about a year ago. BUT IT'S OK, there was barely anything on here. I just use it for internet and skype. My Internet Explorer 9 and Google Chrome are still on it (after I brought the laptop home) But the skype had been deleted out of it, so I had to re-download Skype again for my laptop. That was easy enough.

Btw, as for what they did with anti-virus programs and anti-malware programs... they removed the McAfee anti-virus program I had in it (which was a 1 year trial that would've expired this coming February) and the computer repair guys installed a "Kaspersky" anti-virus program that protects against viruses (it's just a 30 day trial. :| )

and they also installed "Malwarebytes" which is a program that protects my laptop from malware and spyware, and that's a permanent program, too. (no expiration date).

I've heard from Belmont2500 (John) that Malwarebytes is a great anti-malware/spyware program.

I still have my Internet Explorer 9 and my Google Chrome (just like I did before I took it into the computer repair shop)

Today, mom said (after I picked it up and brought it back home)... "Use your Google Chrome, Jared, instead of your Internet Explorer 9. Google Chrome is faster, and it's safer against viruses than Int. Explorer.

I agree, Google Chrome IS much faster than I.E. 9. ;)  I'll stay off of any dirty/dangerous sites now that my computer is ALL clean and SUPER fast. no more "same 2 updates that it's tried to install since March) and no more "blue screen of death instead of shutting down normally"  like it was doing the last day before I took it in to get fixed/cleaned.

;) So Pterano-boy Jared's laptop is now ALL clean, The McAfee anti-virus program (1 year trial that was installed by the store I bought the laptop from)... was removed by one of the computer guys when they were working on it... and it was replaced with a "Kaspersky"(30-day) antivirus trial, so after 30 days, the trial will expire, and my laptop will then have no anti-virus protection, BUT i'll have malware and spyware protection (with no expiration date).. which brings me to the other program...

The other program the computer guys at the repair shop installed in my laptop.. is  called "Malwarebytes" which is an anti-malware/anti-spyware program (with no expiration). So no matter what, "Malwarebytes" will stay in my laptop (unless I were to remove the program..which sure as HECK isn't gonna happen. :DD   lol.)

So i've officially returned, my laptop is back, and all cleaned up, de-botted, de-malwared, de-trojaned, de-virused, etc.. ;) and it's great to be back (no more drooling/lumping on the couch at night watching tv.) The week without my laptop was very boring. But now, i'm back! ^_^

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Your mom is right about Chrome. It is more secure than Internet Explorer, plus you can customize it. Firefox is another great browser (and it's my main one).

As for the antivirus, you can get free ones online. Here's a list of some free ones you can use:

Comodo Internet Security
AVG Free Edition
Avast!
Microsoft Security Essentials
Panda Cloud Antivirus

Free to download, free to use, free forever.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
*Uh-ohhh*  It turns out the Malwarebytes anti-malware was not a permanent program, but a 60 day trial. There are 5 days remaining in the trial.

As for the "Kaspersky" anti-virus program (I never heard of Kaspersky until they installed it at the repair shop)..  that was a 30 day trial, and I think it ran out on December 15th.

So what they did <_< was.. they gave me a 30 day trial of Kaspersky anti-virus protection, and a 60 day trial of Malwarebytes anti-malware protection. <_< No permanent programs.

Meaning in 5 days, my laptop will have NO anti-virus protection, and NO anti-malware protection. :blink:

Maybe my sister'll help me in finding/buying a permanent, not a "temporary trial" of an anti-virus and an anti-malware program.

I will say, I have enjoyed the Malwarebytes program, and it's been working out great.

Each night about 4 or 5 times throughout the time i'm on the internet,,, it says "Malwarebytes successfully blocked a link to malicious site:....etc."

I've experienced NO slow-downs whatsoever in my laptops performance and have ALWAYS used google chrome and have NEVER used Internet Explorer since my laptop returned from the computer repair shop.

Hopefully, I can find an excellent anti-virus program (NOT NORTON anti-virus, my mom tried it a couple years ago on our desktop computer and it..was...slowwww. So not Norton. <_<

For the Anti-Malware protection.. I have liked the Malwarebytes, and it's good to know that some of you have recommended it in your earlier posts here. :yes My computer has never slowed down, or acted weird since it came back from the shop.

(and BTW, it also hasn't acted strange since the 30 day Kaspersky anti-virus trial ran out back in Mid December :( <_<)  Don't worry, I know you NEED to have anti-virus protection if you want a safely protected laptop.

The situation is, I currently have no anti-virus protection :blink:, and have 5 days remaining in the Malwarebytes anti-malware 60 day trial. (5 days away from having NO anti-malware protection. :blink:

Hopefully, my sister and I can find an anti-virus and anti-malware program sometime in the next few days. (I will say, I do like the Malwarebytes, and glad that some of you guys recommended that program ;) )

Guys, are there any great-working anti-virus programs (not Norton) that you know of/recommend?  

as well as anti-malware programs?    :(

Remember my computer is 5 days away from no virus and no malware protection, and has had no virus protection for a month now. :(

Maybe my sister will be able to help me with finding and installing a really good anti-virus and anti-malware program. :(

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
As Kacie suggested, try other antivirus programs, such as Avast! (which is what my computer has). Very fast program indeed!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Kacie and I listed some free programs you can use. I just don't recommend having Avira and Comodo together. They don't like each other. However from what I've read, Comodo and Panda work great together, and those two'll completely cover all your security problems. However, Comodo is pretty heavy on resources, so if you have an older computer (as I do) it'll slow it down.

If you are an average user with a slower computer, the in-built Windows firewall, the free version of Avast! or Avira, and the free version of Malwarebytes (the free version of Malwarebytes, unlike the trial you have, remains installed forever, but if you want to scan and update you have to start it manually; don't worry, Avast or Avira will take care of most of the threats, and if some malware goes through you can always start Malwarebytes, it doesn't have to be active all the time for good protection; you can update it every few days), will make your computer quite safe.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah there is a paid version of Malwarebytes, but it is just a one time fee of about $25 then it's free forever. The free version you never have to pay for, but you have to manually do scans and updates yourself.

So if you liked the fact Malwarebytes protected your computer in real time (meaning it automatically blocks threats it detects), then consider paying the $25 for Malwarebytes Pro (the paid version). It is a one time fee meaning you never have to pay it again. And it'll continue protecting your computer forever, as long as it is installed.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I do like the Malwarebytes, and yes I looked at the info and yes, it is $25. I'd like to get that.

As for the anti-virus protection, I don't know yet. :unsure:

Maybe the free Avast anti-virus program would be ok. I'm still undecided on that. Keeping my computer protected from viruses is critical, and I want an excellent working anti-virus program and not some cruddy one that doesn't work worth a crap <_< (like my old McAffee did, being unable to clear out 2 viruses and my computer had a bot infection, playing random music/ads back in November.

I would love to get the Malwarebytes for an anti-malware program, since several of you have strongly recommended Malwarebytes in your posts, which makes me feel more confident in choosing that anti-malware program. ;)

<_< Still undecided on the Anti-virus program. I take anti-virus and anti-malware programs serious, guys. I don't want a crappy rip-off anti-virus program.  

I know you guys wouldn't go and steer me in the wrong direction.

Darkhououmon suggests the free "Avast" anti-virus,   Remember, I need a permanent program. NO trials! ;)

This is for the sake and safety of my laptop. I hold it very dear to me. No laptop means no GOF access, and no skype, which means I couldn't talk or type to ANY of you without my computer. :cry, and you KNOW I don't want that, just as well as I do. I love you guys. :cry.

I'm liking the Malwarebytes. :yes,  now.. <_< ..an anti-virus program that I can trust and count on, that's VERY reliable, efficient, and will work very well, and won't let any deadly trojans, bots, or viruses get in and infect my computer and screw it up and destroy it's functionality. <_< :(  

Sorry for the speech and excessive drama guys, but the safety and protection of my laptop is VERY critical. :(

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Big Update: Ok, My sister did some work on my computer. :( The Malwarebytes was removed, and she installed the protection programs she uses on her laptop. Here's what was installed:

I now have:

1. A 30-day trial of "AVG Internet security" for an anti-virus program.

2. "Webroot SecureAnywhere" threat protector, and...

3. "Re-Image Repair/Reimage Windows Problem Relief" which is a PC scan and repair program"

My sister said she couldn't do anything about the problems it detected.  Here was the report:

Compiling Data:   OK ;)

Your PC Profile:  OK ;)

PC Stablility:   X  PROBLEM  (and it explained. <_<)

**Start Of Reimage Window Problem Relief Scan Summary/Analysis **

(Stability issues found on your PC.)

The following is a list of programs that have crashed in an unusual frequency within the last 4 months:

Built in Windows Applications (There was 1.):

Microsoft-windows-restartmanager - Has Crashed
Most Recent Occurrence: December 22, 2012 03:50

Third Party Applications (There were 7 of them! UH-OHH. :blink:  <_< me and my wreckless web surfing. HOPE it wasn't the gang of five, deviantart, youtube, or wikipedia....

they were:

1. Avgui.exe-  Has Crashed
Most Recent Occurence: January 17, 2013 22:44

2. Cvhsvc- Has Crashed
Most Recent Occurence: January 9, 2013 08:39

3. Chrome.exe- Has Crashed
Most Recent Occurence: November 24, 2012 17:53

4. Hpmsgsvc.exe- Has Crashed
Most Recent Occurence: November 29, 2012 21:54

5. Hposd.exe- Has Crashed
Most Recent Occurence: November 29, 2012 21:54

6. Msiinstaller- Has Crashed
Most Recent Occurence: *It was in the computer repair shop on this date* November 14, 2012 15:59

7. Svchost.exe_profsvc- Has Crashed
Most Recent Occurence: December 25, 2012 23:06

**End of Explanation :blink: :( resuming with the rest of the categories of the scan..**

PC Security:   OK ;)

Registry Scan:  X  

Junk Files:  OK ;)

Scan Summary: (X) Our scan found several stability issues on your computer.

Stability Issues:    8 Errors
Security Threats: None ;)
Registry:  129 Errors
Windows Damage Severity:  MEDIUM

**End Of Reimage Windows Problem Relief Scan Summary/Analysis**

My sister can't fix the problems. :(

But I'm glad I have a good virus protection and know what got into my computer. :angry: Those DARNED Third party applications! :angry:  My computers speed and performance is still ok, despite these errors.

I am worried though guys, since my computer isn't fully clean and contains errors.  I hope i'm not infecting any of your computers because of my errors.

Once again, the programs my sister installed into my laptop are: "AVG 2013" anti-virus (30 day trial, which I can re-install and get another 30 days of protection each time the 30 day period runs out.), "Webroot SecureAnywhere", and "Reimage Repair".

The Malwarebytes trial (which I had 4 days remaining) was removed by my sister. I left the installation work to her, because she knows a bunch more than I do.

There is nothing I can do about the issues. :(, sorry.

Seriously, my computer has NEVER slowed down or had any erratic behavior since I brought it home from the repair shop. I now have my sister's protection programs/monitors that she has (her laptop is the SAME kind as mine, HP Pavilion G-series with Windows 7.)  She was a help to me, guys.

Although she couldn't fix the issues that were found, I'm glad she was able to help me install an anti-virus program, and 2 "scan/PC performance check" programs.

My computer is protected better now, despite the "stablility application" issues. <_<

So, there are 8 stability errors and 138 registry errors that were found.

But, my computer still "functions" and works at the same fast speed as it did when I picked it up from the repair shop back in November, and has never slowed down, screwed up, or had weird behavior/malfunctions. It's working properly and still moves fast. despite the discovered stability errors.

My google chrome internet works and moves fine, deviantart pictures load fine, and youtube videos load properly.  

Am I ok, guys?  :(  I'll try not to get all paranoid and over-worry. :( Sometimes, I get theatrical, when I shouldn't be. :(

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
*sighhh*  <_<  I really need to learn to relax. It's just a little computer problem. Nothing major or deadly. There are some problems with my laptop, but they're not dangerous.

I can't fix the existing problems, and neither can my sister, BUT I do know there won't be any new problems since my sister helped and installed those 3 protection programs. ;)

I need to learn to be less overly-dramatic "oh no! oh no! :( It's ruined! What'll I do now?" :(  and stop getting all worried and nervous about something.   :unsure:

It's a bad habit to get into. <_< I shouldn't feel so nervous, worried, or belittled. My computer still works fine. It just has some minor problems, that's all. It's nothing major, and it's nothing to get all worried and scared over.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will see if a friend of mine can help you fix the problems that are still present.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, Darkhououmon, if they have any suggestions or solutions to the problems, feel free to post back here, if they have anything.

I'm not too worried about this, even though they are a minor-medium problem, <_< and not MAJOR damage. My sister's great with computers, but couldn't fix it.

I hope I won't end up paying $$$ to clean and fix the 1 Built-in program crash and the 7 third-party program crashes.  It's not major computer damage, dude.  I'm not panicky-worried about it. :|

Feel free to leave a tip or suggestion if you have or learn about any, Darkhououmon.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
(A couple of days ago, the 30 day AVG protection trial ran out. I talked with my mom about the situation, I found a "free" version and installed it.  It's called "AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition- 2013.   It's a free permanent program and is not a trial.

I think i'm all set now, guys, don't you agree?  My laptop didn't act weird with the 30 day avg trial, I installed a free "basic" version of it today, as I mentioned before, and it is a permanent program. (no expiration) ;)