The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pterano · 24 · 2862

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
So, does anyone have any plans to ring in the New Year? What does everyone hope to get out of next year?

For me, my friends from my hometown are coming to visit today, and we're going to do dinner tomorrow night in D.C. at Old Ebbitt Grill and see the fireworks over the Washington Monument. :DD

2012 is going to be a pretty significant year for me, as I have a second chance to get into the Foreign Service (my career dream) much earlier than I expected, and much of my energy is going to be devoted to accomplishing this dream and doing everything I possibly can to make it, because if I pass, it'll be a year long process. I'd like to get another job as well to hold me over, and one that preferably pays the same, though I'll settle for less pay if it's better work, in all honesty. It's time to move on to the next stage of my life. :)

So how about everyone else?

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
For next year, I'm just going to keep up with schooling. I'm going to finish my lower level classes in the spring, and transfer to University of Houston in the fall to get started on my upper division classes. I'm hoping I'll be able to get some kind of internship with some tech company while in college too, as I'd much rather do that than work at another Wal-Mart. :p

I don't really have any plans myself to ring in the new year. Probably gonna go with family to see some fireworks and such.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Well, 2012 is gonna be a pretty big year for me. It's the year when I graduate from secondary school and, hopefully, go into a foundation course at art school.

But otherwise, the only major thing I'll be doing is laughing at the 2012-apocalypse crowd.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I'm gonna make 2012 a really good year. I feel really good and optimistic about it. 2011 has been a rough year for me, but it's also been one of joy since I got back into LBT.  ;)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I'll be finishing my first year of university at the end of this coming year, and hopefully passing my driving rest at the start of it, so I guess that's something.

To ring in the new year, I'll probably just stay in and watch the fireworks on TV - I'm too lazy to go all the way to London to watch them  :rolleyes:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm looking at 2012 with somewhat mixed feelings. In many ways things have been improving on my end (especially because of my recent move to a new place) and there is a certain likelihood for things to continue improving. On the other hand 2012 will be a year of a lot of work with a working time / pay ratio that is rather low (with the crucial pro being that I enjoy the work). There is likely to be a lot of trouble with regard to the quarrel with my former landlords (it is pretty much certain by now that it will be a court case).
2012 is also year in which there are a number of events that I would like to attend but cannot.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah I hear you on that Alli. That whole End Of The World thing is all BS and fake. I'm gonna laugh in there faces when nothing happens.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to hear about your woes, Malte. That definitely sounds like it's much more of a headache than you need right now :(

Yes... this time next year, I also intend to laugh at the end of the world believers on New Year's, 2013. :p

Yeah, 2011 was a rough year for me as well, but there's definitely bright spots on the horizon. :) Glad to know the majority at least are looking forward to the new year. :yes

(runner up)
(runner up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Same here! I hated 2011! That was one of the most painful years of my life! But on the other hand, some magnificent stuff happened to me. Such as coming here and meeting friends such as Pterano, PanickyPetrie14, Jrd89, Vonbob, TFS...and so on. They're the best of friends I've ever had! And I hope to make more on this forum this coming year.  :yes

And I too plan on laughing in the face of those idiots that thought the world was gonna end.  :lol
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I'm usually the kinda of guy who likes to take a situation as it comes. But with the outlook of 2012, I think it will be a big turning point for me. I've already achieved one of my goals this year by finally moving out and venturing out on my own (which was an arduous struggle physically and emotionally) but I'm hoping 2012 will be a year of consolidation for me. I'm in a job with close enough spec to what I trained to do (I.e. a teaching assistant for a great school) but I'm gonna have to step up my game and finally take the plunge and go for a full time teacher's position. I didn't feel I was ready to be dropped head first into an actual role when the PGCE (teacher training course) finished but now I think I've mustered up enough courage to take on a class of my own. I'll be sticking out applications as of the new term so hopefully something will come back soon enough.

Aside from that, I don't have any other major plans. Just take life a day at a time and soldier through each one like everyone else I guess!

All the same, Happy New Year to everyone! (When it actually occurs in your time zone :lol)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah I'm gonna do a few things this year hopefully go out more and meet new people.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
2011 was really the year equivalent of a very deep pit for me, partly self-dug. I left faculty (which I hated, but it offered a good job in the end), and made a substantial amount of debt. All of 2012 I'll spend trying to get out of that pit, but it will probably take more time than that. I will be passing some exams next year and also go working over the summer. I expected to go on seasonal work to Germany in April, but the firm I applied to work in hasn't even bothered to reply to my request.

I'll just say that 2011 was the worst year of my life. So, it will probably be better in the future.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I, too, think 2012 will be a better year.  I learned today that the NPS is going to most likely lift its freeze on hiring in February, so I can only hope for better things in the near future :yes.  

Who else wants to have a party when we reach December 22, 2012 :celebrate  :cheers  :celebrate  :cheers  :lol?

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Dec 31 2011 on  11:17 PM
I, too, think 2012 will be a better year.  I learned today that the NPS is going to most likely lift its freeze on hiring in February, so I can only hope for better things in the near future :yes.  

Who else wants to have a party when we reach December 22, 2012 :celebrate  :cheers  :celebrate  :cheers  :lol?
Me! Me! I'm also looking forward to laughing in the face of the doomsayers. :p
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
^ Me!!! No, really, I seriously will, for fun. I don't believe in 2012, but I believe in partying for no reason at all!  :smile  I think 2012 will be a great year...

Edit: Awww, vonboy beat me to it. :D

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
OMG! IT'S OFFICIALLY 2012! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Sigh...I have a feeling this is gonna be the best year of my life.  :DD
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I hear ya on that Jansenov. I can't remember a worse year of my life, outside 2011. 2007 maybe, but that had it's high points, and they were more numerous than the ones in 2011.

Great to hear the NPS is lifting the freeze on hiring in February, Cancerian Tiger! Hope you get in!  :D February's going to be big for me too, as that's when I can retest for the Foreign Service. This year is either going to make me or break me, and I admit, I felt a bit ominous last night, but I'm going to face it with determination and resolve as well.

On one other note, I just want everyone to live as fully as they are capable of doing this year. I look around me and see that the abilities to conceive, believe, and achieve are diminishing, and that the world's spirit of "can and must do" has turned into division and complacency. We're all mostly young here. Let's step up to the plate. Let's do our fair share to thrust our national and international psyche in the direction of innovation and motivate, to quote a friend, who said it much better than I could. Let's focus our hearts and souls on common goals, united mission, and joint sacrifice. I know we can sit back and feel dread when we look at all that's going on around us. It's terrible, and can lead to defeatism, but I see it as a gut check. The time to doubt your ability to contribute is over; the time to act is now. Even if it's small, limited to just your local region, your impact is still important, and since we're the future of the world by and large, we can shape it when our turn comes. :yes

Happy New Year everyone! :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
Lots of cool, and not so cool, stuff is happening in 2012. Super Bowl in Indianapolis (Go Hoosier Hospitality!) next month, Summer Olympics in London, Presidential election (and already I'm politicked out), a possible return to school for me (career change?), and an uncertain outcome on the homefront. Plus listening to all those doom-sayers about the impending end of the world. You know, I didn't believe those Y2K guys. Nothing spectacular happened Jan. 1, 2000, so it looks as if we'll still be here December 22, 2012. Hey, I'm ready to party come the 22nd.  :celebrate

Happy New Year, GoF! Be safe, be happy, have fun.  :DD

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Dang. So far, a lot people didn't have a good year. I've had a great 2011 as I've graduated from community college, Moved up to higher education, kept myself healthy, didn't have too many social problems with some people in my life, and I've gotten a lot of my art stuff done.

I've read that 2011 has been one of the worst years for tornadoes in recent memory, despite advances in forecasting technologies and warning systems. In the past 100 years, the number of tornadoes has actually decreased. In the late 1800s, records indicate that about 200 tornadoes would touch down in the U.S. per year on average.
The average is now about 22. This year, however, is above the recent averages, with about 49 so far in 2011.

Hopefully this year will be better. My new years resolution is...stay alive.
 :)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hopefully get out more often and spend less time online.,