The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Today's Cartoons...

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
One of my favorite Courage episodes was the one where we finally see just how Courage was abandoned as a puppy. It was so sad to see what happened to his parents. At least they and the rest of those dogs gave that wicked doctor what he deserved in the end.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just thought I'd bump this.

Back in the 90s, there was so much variety on Cartoon Network.  You had the old Hannah-Barbara shows, Loony Tunes,  the Cartoon-Cartoon shows, some of the new shows like TMNT, and even some anime.  I mean, there was something for everybody.  Now they've just got the same type of lame crappy shows on all the time.  It's pretty bad when Adult Swim has the best shows on the network.  I remember when the good shows were actually kid friendly and still entertaining.  R.I.P. Cartoon Network.    :boohoo

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I don't have an answer to F-14s original question.  Granted, we all have our favorite cartoons and of course will back those up and bash others we deem less important.  My favorites aren't necessarily your favorites, etc. etc. etc.  Generally speaking, if you grew up with the cartoon, watched it often, and liked it, you like it now.  Anything that seems different is bad.

Kacie was on the money with an earlier post.  Yes there may be "bad" cartoons from your point of view, but it is that--your point of view.  Somebody must be watching the show if its still on the air.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think Cartoon Network created Boomerang channel to move all the older classics like Flinstones and Jetsons to that channel so they could fill their current channel with new programs. This is kind of a bad move in my opinion, because the audiences that were drawn to Cartoon Network because of these classic cartoons probably geared towards Boomerang. Now that may not be entirely true, but that's just my opinion.

I actually don't mind FOP, mainly because like it's been said they try to be funny but intentionally aren't funny for the possibility of older audiences. Spongebob is hit or miss for me. The older episodes were really funny and clever, and some of the newer episodes are as well, but most of the time it seems like the producers want to degrade Spongebob and Patrick to complete retards. Avatar I admit is a really well written show, which is why I am very skeptical about the movie coming out.

I loved Ed Edd and Eddy because everything that happened was so over-the-top to the point where it was funny. Sure Ed was a dimwit and completely random, but he was funny. Courage came off more as creepy than funny, but there were some very funny moments thrown in. I personally really liked Teen Titans. It was both funny and had a compelling story in most episodes. To be quite honest, I think Family Guy is starting to lose it's steam. Don't get me wrong, I love Family Guy and have done so ever since the show began, but the first maybe four seasons were so much better than the later seasons. Clevland's spinoff show is ridiculous in my opinion.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Today's cartoons seem more censored and made for sissies, and I feel that it even started to affect the last couple of LBT sequels.  If a cartoon is intended to be suspenseful and violent, nobody should be afraid to add some blood to it.  Since when did a deep gash in a limb never let out even a drop of blood :rolleyes:?

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wait, Cleveland has a spinnoff show? :blink:

Anyway, I don't get Boomerang in my viewing area.  If I did I'd subscribe to it.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Boomerang is in a package that I'm not paying for to get.  Basic 13 channels of tv in my place. :D  Granted, its probably a decent channel if you like the old Hanna-Barbera stuff or things like that.

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
Why on earth are they showing live action shows on Cartoon Network?  It's called Cartoon Network, not Live Action Reality Shows for Kids Network.  Don't we have to put up with enough reality TV on every other channel? :blink:

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
I don't know if it's different over here, but I noticed that they are doing more and more 3D animated series or these 'Flash-like' kinda things like 'Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends' or 'Skunk Fu' rather than real 2D animation.  :huh:

I actually like FOP and is still one of my favourites. :lol
But there must be more shows with depth and a nice written stories like Avatar. :yes

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if the change will be permanent or if it will swing back and forth like a pendulum.  

I have heard about sci-fi and cartoon network being the way they are currently, making me glad I no longer have cable tv.  

At the least there are the older cartoons around for one to still enjoy, and a variety of ways to get them, as well as some good ones coming out currently and recently, even if they are in the minority.  

Also there is an old saying I've heard.  Putting it into g rated terms it says, "98% of anything isn't very good." Maybe it is more prevalent since with so many special interest groups getting their say and some control, and so many cartoons around even bad writers can get a job writing, as well as bad artists.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
this is why I am glad alot of the old TV series are on DVD now.

anybody remember Skeleton Warriors, Superman The Animated Series, Godzilla: The Series (1998), or... OH! anybody remember Big Guy And Rusty The Boy Robot? that show was awsome, and yet all these shows have to be bought on DVD or VHS to be enjoyed. (wich reminds me, even though they are obsolete, a VHS player should be in all house holds as not everything will be transfered to DVD)

Avatar the last Airbender was a great show (would have been perfect had it been givin a PG rating rather then a G, but hey I still love the show and is still perfect now) but think and think hard. during the shows run, how often did Nick show Avatar? verry rarely. I mean, they even messed up the airing block at one point! when the thing at the bottom corner of your screen said UP NEXT AVATAR!, when your eyes are fixated on the screen and you expect Katara to start the into, and mind you, your mind is like "Ok, in 3 seconds we will begin Avatar, please make sure you are set to expect the intro." and instead you'd get...

"OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH!!!! Who Lives in a pinapple under the sea?"

it totaly threw me off alot the first week they started that crap. I was checkin my DirecTV program menu, to see if possibly my clock was off by 30 minutes (wishfull thinking mind you) the thing says Avatar should be on, by then I was thinking we should be getting to the "Last Time, On Avatar" Montoge. I am flippin out cuz I didn't know, WHAT the hell happened. turns out, without telling anybody with a commercial, Nick took Avatar off its evening block.

its like, the realy good modern shows have to make way for the god awful shows. I mean, I'm sure the SB fans where happy, but the Avatar fans where pissed.

my favorite modern shows. (though now are considered old shows) consist of...

Transformers (G1)
Ben 10
Godzilla: The Animated Series
Big Guy And Rusty
Rugrates
Wild Thornberrys
Superman
Spiderman
Skeleton Warriors
Beast Wars
TMNT (80s)
TMNT (03)
Gargoyles
Hey Arnold
The Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog (the dark version)

shows I can't stand...

Spongebob (the first few series I liked, before Spongebob and Patrick where turned into pathetic utter morons)
Mighty B (Honestly, the show is obnauxious and rediculess, more so then SB)
Chowder (just plain stupid)
Flapjack (that can be taken off the air with extreme Prejudice)
and some other ones I can't even Remember.

Blitz

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Let's just say that CN is desperate to try almost anything to keep its ratings up, which is pretty sad.

My favorite cartoons/shows in the past were:

Looney Tunes
The Land Before Time TV series
Tiny Toon Adventures
Tom and Jerry
Pinky and the Brain
Scooby-Doo (Old series)
Freakazoid
Johnny Bravo
Ed, Edd n Eddy
Courage the Cowardly Dog
The old Pokemon series (Indigo League, Orange Islands, Johto Saga)
Wild Thornberrys
The Rugrats
CatDog
Angry Beavers
Doug
Yu-Gi-Oh! (Original series and GX)
Rocko's Modern Life
TMNT (03 series)
The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Hey Arnold
Dragon Ball series
and tons of other old shows.

Shows I can't stand:

The Total Drama series (Island, Action, World Tour)
Spongebob Squarepants (I used to think this show was awesome, but with all of the   new episodes... Spongebob and Patrick have become even dumber than they already were to begin with. It's for that very reason why I refuse to watch it any longer)

Chowder (Breaks the fourth wall WAY TOO MUCH, also very dumb for its own good)

Flapjack (No comment for this one)

Adventure Time With Finn and Jake (For some odd reason, I can actually tolerate this one, but only to a certain degree)

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
what where the creators of Chowder and flapjack smoking when they thought of thoughs shows?