The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Seagate's 3TB External Hard Drive

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Wow, imagine the sheer mass of stuff you can have on that.  A huge amount of video games, movies music, ect.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Old news.  3TB really isn't that big.  I've got 3tb spanned across 5 hard drives on my master computer and I'm running out of space.  And most of my movies are in crap quality too.  We need 6TB hard drives right now.  Unfortunately hard drive technology is lagging behind the rest of the technology out there.  Heck, a ripped BluRay disk would be a minimum of 25gb.  That's only 120 full videos on a 3TB drive.  LAME.  3TB can't even hold that many full quality DVD's.  We are so behind the times.  I just added another 4 USB ports to my computer so I can buy a few more external drives.  I gotta say, this is NOT a good solution.  I really wish I could just have a single 20TB drive and be done with it.  If hard drive technology was going as fast as say processor technology, we'd probably have a 20TB drive by now.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ As a computer repair guru, I would hope you didn't buy one 20tb drive and be done with it.  Buy more than one. ;)  Reliability on drives 1tb and larger isn't exactly awesome at this point.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
3TB is a lot of space, I think, especially for today's standards where computers still largely only have 1TB or less of storage. I never saw anything that was 6TB in size. The largest I've ever seen for sale was 2TB.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You people just don't understand what a HUGE leap in technology there was with the introduction of the core i7.  It was equally as huge with the previous jump.  Now we're getting memory that's approaching 2ghz in speed and we have processors with highly reliable (and large) level 3 cache.  Yet despite all these advances, hard drives are still the same old crap.  I'm glad that SSD's have come out, but the technology is taking way too long to be adopted.  I can't believe it's still like $100 for a useless piece of crap 40gb SSD.  If hard drives were advancing as quickly as processors, we'd easily have 20tb drives out on the market right now.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Outside of major business and webservers, why would a consumer at home need a 20tb hard drive, solid state or otherwise?  Really?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Petrie,Aug 30 2010 on  09:04 PM
Outside of major business and webservers, why would a consumer at home need a 20tb hard drive, solid state or otherwise?  Really?
In all honestly, I don't see the need for 20TB for the average user either. At the moment I'm happy with my 750 GB computer and 320 GB external harddrive. I have no need for 20TB. I mean it'd be nice, but it's a ton of space, a lot more than I currently need.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
In all honestly, I don't see the need for 20TB for the average user either. At the moment I'm happy with my 750 GB computer and 320 GB external harddrive. I have no need for 20TB. I mean it'd be nice, but it's a ton of space, a lot more than I currently need.

By 2014, the "average" consumer will need roughly 900gb of storage (I read this on Cnet somewhere).  With videos becoming larger and larger and programs taking up many gigabytes of space, larger hard drives really are needed.  I remember when I got my 80gb hard drive back in the Windows 98 days.  The thing was MASSIVE.  I never thought I'd be able to fill it up in a million years.  Hah!  Now I sell computers with 80gb hard drives for pennies on the dollar.  More and more people are trashing the old outdated ways of buying a physical disk and are instead putting the music and movies onto their computers (either by direct download or transferring the files from disk format onto their computers).  HTPC's are becoming very popular these days and require massive amounts of storage in order to be able to hold a decent amount of movies.  I'll remind you of this thread 5 years from now.  I bet you'll have a 20tb hard drive in your main computer by then and it'll be over half full. :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yeah, ok, we'll see. ;)  It took me six years to fill a 256gb external with video and lossless music (from all my cds).  I could go and copy every dvd I had to a 500gb drive and probably fill it easily, but I'd burn out my drive doing that and for what?  So I don't have to go to the next room and pick up the disc itself....not worth it, methinks. ;)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm I wonder Austin. I only use 30gb right now, of my 75gb harddrive, and I'm managing just fine. I think that 20TB (wth) is an extremely luxery that we won't really need, and with need I mean for standard use. If you are going to put all movies you own on there as well as games, then I understand why you could use 20TB. For an average person, 1 tb would be hard to fill up these days.

And please don't tell me to go buy a bigger harddrive, lol. You can give me one if you're nice, but I just don't have the money for anything right now. Not spending a single cent next to my cell phone (which is about $2 a month).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So I don't have to go to the next room and pick up the disc itself....not worth it, methinks.

But disks are such an inferior technology.  And they're so unreliable.  I guess you wouldn't understand if you've never had a media center replace your DVD player.  It's sooooo nice not to have to worry about keeping track of disks and having to put them in all the time whenever you want to listen to something or watch a movie.  I can't stand disks.  In truth, most people these days don't use optical technology anymore of if they do they're doing it less and less.  When the highest capacity burnable disk that's practical is only 8.5gb (dual layer DVD) and you can go get a 32gb flash drive for only a few bucks, you can't deny that optical technology is going down the tubes.  Sure you can burn a blu-ray, but they were like $15/disk or something last time I checked.  And who the heck has a blu-ray burner in their computer?  Nah.  I'd much rather just pay $30 and get a permanent 32gb flash drive that I can use over and over.  Not to mention the fact that the flash drive doesn't scratch or get ruined easily.  Disks will soon be as impractical as records.  I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing new computers come with flash drive recovery media as opposed to a recovery CD.  The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because it costs more for a flash drive than a CD.